What makes you Jewish?

To discuss Jewish topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

jgh7

What makes you Jewish?

Post #1

Post by jgh7 »

Can you be Jewish because both of your parents are Jewish? How about if one of them is Jewish? How about if a grandparent is Jewish?

Can you be Jewish because you believe in their religion? What about if you don't, but you still celebrate the holidays and culture?

Can you be/become Jewish if you're not from the bloodline, or is some form of bloodline required?

Can you be an atheist and still be Jewish? Can you ascribe to any other religious views outside of Judaism and still be Jewish? Is Jesus off limits?

You can see what I'm getting at. Is there a commonly accepted set of rules for determining if you can "officially" (if that even exists) be Jewish or not?

I'm of full Jewish decent genetically speaking and I just joined the Jewish usergroup because of that. I lack belief in the Jewish religion though. I'm willing to leave the user group if it's meant for those who are Jewish by religiou belief. In it's description it literally just says "Jewish" lol, so I don't know.

Willum
Savant

Re: Who is Jewish?

Post #11

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 2 by cnorman19]

I guess this is a continuation: If being Jewish is as you declare, "52 pick-up," then is how is it different from being nothing at all? Or, perhaps I mean arbitrary?

Very confusing topic, this.

Avoice
Guru

Post #12

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to post 5 by koko]

Sorry to hear of the forced conversions

koko

Post #13

Post by koko »

duBois wrote: [Replying to post 5 by koko]

Interesting. My father's family were anusim as well. Hopefully, in my view, Jewish identity is not limited to genealogy but carries some connection to Jewish values. That is my hope anyway.

Values may possibly be a factor as to whether one is truly Jewish. The Bible tells us the prime determinant is bloodline. Today we often say other factors may override this teaching. In the New Testament it is written ''let every man be persuaded in his own mind" (Romans 14). I remain mindful of the concept of refraining from undue judgment of others and will leave this issue up to the beholder.

koko

Post #14

Post by koko »

Avoice wrote: [Replying to post 5 by koko]

Sorry to hear of the forced conversions

Yes, the forced conversions which the Sephardic Jews endured was one of history's biggest tragedies. Many of these surviving "Marranos" moved to Northwest Africa, the Balkans-Asia Minor, or Latin America.

For those who wish to know if their ancestors were Judios they may check the following roster: http://www.sephardicgen.com/databases/S ... om2009.htm

koko

Post #15

Post by koko »

[Replying to post 6 by duBois]

I do like your reply very much because of its reference to Jewish values.

Many years ago I had 2 progressive Jewish friends with whom I discussed this matter. One was an elderly lady friend and the other a man about one year older than I at that time (this was back in the mid 1970s). Both agreed that the hallmark of a "good Jew" was that you treat everyone well and help make this a better world for all by doing a good deed each and every day when/if such an opportunity presented itself. In those days among progressive Jews that I knew, many harbored this same belief. That you were born for a purpose. That your mission in life is to always do good wherever you go. That any day in which you failed to do a good deed when the opportunity came was a wasted day.

I don't know if people discuss such matters any more or if such tenets have now disappeared. But they sure are beautiful thoughts and, in all candor, it would be nice if all people thought that way.