Initial Discussion and Reading

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

Bio-logical
Site Supporter

Initial Discussion and Reading

Post #1

Post by Bio-logical »

The purpose of this bible study is to read the bible in a logical way as a narrative and as a religious text that has shaped the practices of those religions that follow it.

This is not a "Christian" bible study, although people of all religious backgrounds are welcome to participate. It is meant to be a study of the bible as a text, to better understand the book in a scholarly manner.

The discussion of origin is outside the scope of the study - we will not be debating whether something is the word of man or god.

Discussions regarding interpretations of the text are entirely allowed and encouraged, this is the main purpose of the discussion.

Discussions regarding implications of different interpretations may arise but should be kept from disintegrating into which is the correct interpretation.

We will be reading according to the Scholar's Plan, a narratively chronological plan to read the bible so that the stories in it take place in order. We will have assigned reading and will move on when the discussion has reached a conclusion or when it involves few participants, at which point we will ask that they continue it in a separate thread.

The readings are based on the King James Version of the Bible, links to the reading will be posted before starting a new section, but participants are welcome to read whichever translation they prefer and are encouraged to discuss differences in translation.

As for our first reading:

I feel it is appropriate to read Genesis 1- 5, which is approximately equal to "5 days" of reading in the plan but I think it holds much to discuss without mixing the flood into it yet. The reading includes creation through the fall of man, including Cain and Abel and everything up to the introduction of Noah and before the causes of the flood. Feel free to past anything that strikes you as you read it, no need to wait for a particular date.
Last edited by Bio-logical on Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doubt is not the end, but only the beginning of pursuit.

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #71

Post by Benoni »

Bio-logical wrote:Forgive me for not quoting your post directly, I just want to be sure I am getting what I am supposed to out of it.

What the interpretations you are citing seem to be saying is that Genesis 1:1-3 does not indicate that God created the universe or even the Earth, but instead gave order to it. Am I correct?

I feel, and I know that the majority of Christians agree that the creation in Genesis is allegorical. It is indicated rather directly in the fact that there are 2 different accounts of creation with things being created in order. This, to me, indicates that the author wanted us to know that these are stories meant to convey a history as the people saw it. Even Adam and Eve seem to be representations of human nature and serve to teach a lesson about the consequences of not being happy with what you have. The first sin in the bible is disobedience to God, but it is done so not out of malice but out of our covetous nature. The serpent represents our urges and God represents morality, which are often at odds with each other.
There are two accounts of creation because there were two different things God did to Adam. On the 6th day God created Adam/man in His own image and likeness. On the seventh day God "formed" Adam man from the dust of the earth and made him a living soul.

In other words we need to look at the context of this very contextual chapters of the Bible. God lowered Adam/man from being "created" on the 6th day in His image and likeness (which is Spirit; for God is a spirit) to a man "formed" from the dust of the earth and became a living soul on the seventh day..