Reading 2 - Genesis 6-11:9

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

Bio-logical
Site Supporter

Reading 2 - Genesis 6-11:9

Post #1

Post by Bio-logical »

I feel it is appropriate to post the next reading assignment. Remember that the discussion on the previous one may continue but our goal is to read the bible so I am going to keep moving. I have started a new thread for organizational purposes and will continue to do so for the remainder of the study barring any suggestions.

The reading is Genesis 6- 11:9

Flood
The Daughters of Men: Gen 6:1-8
Building the Ark: Gen 6:9-8:22
Noah Commences the Human race again: Gen 9:1-28
The progeny of Noah: Gen 10:1-32
Babel/Nations
Mans pride forms separatism and the nations while loosing a unifying language: Gen 11:1-9

One addition I would like to make is that I found this site that has several questions about each chapter you may want to keep in mind while reading.
Doubt is not the end, but only the beginning of pursuit.

Bio-logical
Site Supporter

Post #51

Post by Bio-logical »

Cathar1950 wrote:
Bio-logical wrote:
Cathar1950 wrote:
Bio-logical wrote:
Cathar1950 wrote:
Heterodoxus wrote:
myth-one.com wrote:The book being studied is the Bible.
Nope, wrong again! The book of the Bible we were studying was Genesis. Now we're moving on to the book of Job with or without you.
I thought we were moving on to the next part of Genesis.
:confused2: We have hardly covered any of it.
We are following the Scholar's plan, or a narrative chronology of the bible. To do so, we read the book of Job before we read the remainder of Genesis because according to the story, Job lived before Abram. After Job, we will return to Genesis.
I suppose although I see problems as it seems to assume the Bible as historical narrative shaped by ideology much later when the writings were being produced.
If you notice the Jewish arrangements of the Hebrew writings are different then the Christian OT because the Christians are trying to present a chronology all leading up to Christ.
We are reading Job which is believed to be a 5 th century writing as if it was a 1800 th century artifact.
Can you give an example of an 18th century artifact? As far as I am aware the dead sea scrolls and the numbers amulets are the only accounts of the actual books of he bible the rest of the older artifacts just corroborate the stories in the bible. The two former are no older than the book of Job is considered to be and Job is contained within the dead sea scrolls. The stories of Job have been placed by biblical scholars to occur between the flood and Abraham due to many factors.

Also, I do not assume the bible to be a historical narrative, but I do assume it to have a narrative within it which contains a chronology that I fel it is most appropriate to follow so that we continue to read within context of the narrative.
If I remember correctly the only thing that actually corroborates the Bible dates to the 9th or 8th century.
What we have in the Bible is later edited ideologized history at best.
I don't see your point. You do realize that I do not find the bible to be a true account of history right? I do, however, find that if you are going to read a story, you should try to follow the line of it. The order of the books is rather arbitrary as is so I chose the scholar's plan for cohesiveness and flow.
Doubt is not the end, but only the beginning of pursuit.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #52

Post by Cathar1950 »

Bio-logical wrote:
Cathar1950 wrote:
Bio-logical wrote:
Cathar1950 wrote:
Bio-logical wrote:
Cathar1950 wrote:
Heterodoxus wrote:
myth-one.com wrote:The book being studied is the Bible.
Nope, wrong again! The book of the Bible we were studying was Genesis. Now we're moving on to the book of Job with or without you.
I thought we were moving on to the next part of Genesis.
:confused2: We have hardly covered any of it.
We are following the Scholar's plan, or a narrative chronology of the bible. To do so, we read the book of Job before we read the remainder of Genesis because according to the story, Job lived before Abram. After Job, we will return to Genesis.
I suppose although I see problems as it seems to assume the Bible as historical narrative shaped by ideology much later when the writings were being produced.
If you notice the Jewish arrangements of the Hebrew writings are different then the Christian OT because the Christians are trying to present a chronology all leading up to Christ.
We are reading Job which is believed to be a 5 th century writing as if it was a 1800 th century artifact.
Can you give an example of an 18th century artifact? As far as I am aware the dead sea scrolls and the numbers amulets are the only accounts of the actual books of he bible the rest of the older artifacts just corroborate the stories in the bible. The two former are no older than the book of Job is considered to be and Job is contained within the dead sea scrolls. The stories of Job have been placed by biblical scholars to occur between the flood and Abraham due to many factors.

Also, I do not assume the bible to be a historical narrative, but I do assume it to have a narrative within it which contains a chronology that I fel it is most appropriate to follow so that we continue to read within context of the narrative.
If I remember correctly the only thing that actually corroborates the Bible dates to the 9th or 8th century.
What we have in the Bible is later edited idolized history at best.
I don't see your point. You do realize that I do not find the bible to be a true account of history right? I do, however, find that if you are going to read a story, you should try to follow the line of it. The order of the books is rather arbitrary as is so I chose the scholar's plan for cohesiveness and flow.
Of course I don't think you see the Bible as an historical account but some do despite when the facts otherwise.
My point is that the Bible as a collection of books is not really telling one story unless it is projected upon the material and order as the Christians have done as the arranged the Hebrew writings into the OT to make it fit their story.
Even reading the prophets is is often assumed that they were privy to the stories (there is more then one version) when most of it was invented after their time and the stories are leading up to events after their time with an agenda or even conflicting purposes.
The history is an invention.
The scholar's plan only shows "cohesiveness and flow" because you have picked one of the stories to shape the reading of the whole.

mitty
Sage

Re: Reading 2 - Genesis 6-11:9

Post #53

Post by mitty »

Bio-logical wrote:I feel it is appropriate to post the next reading assignment. Remember that the discussion on the previous one may continue but our goal is to read the bible so I am going to keep moving. I have started a new thread for organizational purposes and will continue to do so for the remainder of the study barring any suggestions.

Flood
Babel/Nations
Mans pride forms separatism and the nations while loosing a unifying language: Gen 11:1-9

One addition I would like to make is that I found this site that has several questions about each chapter you may want to keep in mind while reading.
Fundamentalists believe that there was a worldwide flood that destroyed all land based life except for the few on a wooden boat. They claim that the earth was completely inundated for 150 days (Gen 6:24) and use all sorts of straw grabbing "evidence" to attempt to prove their theory. Not only would all land-based fauna be destroyed, but also all the flora, yet there is no mention of preserving any vegetation. If there was a real flooding-event associated with the Genesis description, then the bible affirms that it could only have been local (Gen 8:11) and not global. The flood therefore only killed a local group of people, including Noah's extended family such as his mother, his nana, his siblings and families, his uncles, his aunts and cousins. Noah blamed this family tragedy on the wrath of his imagined god. Genesis 9:1-26 therefore only refers to re-establishing his family dynasty after a natural disaster, and clearly not to the whole human species; the diversity of human races rules that silliness out in a time frame of only 4000 years.

mitty
Sage

Re: Reading 2 - Genesis 6-11:9

Post #54

Post by mitty »

Bio-logical wrote:I feel it is appropriate to post the next reading assignment. Remember that the discussion on the previous one may continue but our goal is to read the bible so I am going to keep moving. I have started a new thread for organizational purposes and will continue to do so for the remainder of the study barring any suggestions.

Flood
Babel/Nations

Fundamentalists believe that there was a worldwide flood that destroyed all land based life except for the few on a wooden boat. They claim that the earth was completely inundated for 150 days (Gen 6:24) and use all sorts of straw grabbing "evidence" to attempt to prove their theory. Not only would all land-based fauna be destroyed, but also all the flora, yet there is no mention of preserving any vegetation. If there was a real flooding-event associated with the Genesis description, then the bible affirms that it could only have been local (Gen 8:11) and not global. The flood therefore only killed a local group of people, including Noah's extended family such as his mother, his nana, his siblings and families, his uncles his aunts and uncles and cousins. Noah blamed this family tragedy on the wrath of his imagined god. Genesis 9:1-26 therefore only refers to re-establishing his family dynasty after a natural disaster, and clearly not to the whole human species; the diversity of human races rules that silliness out in a time frame of only 4000 years.