YHWH

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

Skyangel
Banned
Banned

YHWH

Post #1

Post by Skyangel »

This is a personal study I did on the tetragram. I have put it in bible study as information for anyone who is interested.
Readers, please feel free to comment or add more information or even debate or question it as you please.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

The tetragram known as YHWH does not appear in the bible till Genesis 2.

These four letters are usually transliterated from Hebrew as IHVH , JHWH , JHVH, YHWH in different languages. In English translations this has been variously rendered as "Yahweh" or even occasionally as "Jehovah", based on the Latin form of the term,
In English translations, it is often rendered in capital and small capital letters as "the LORD", following Jewish tradition which reads the word as "Adoni" ("Lord") out of respect for the name of God and the interpretation of the commandment not to take the name of God in vain.

The Hebrew letters are
Yod Image
Hey Image
Waw (or vav) Image
Hey Image

The pictographs are

Image -- Arm and closed hand... Meaning -- Work, Throw
Image --Man with arms raised.....Meaning -- Look, Reveal, Breath
Image -- Tent Peg.... Meaning -- Add, Secure, Hook
Image --Man with arms raised.....Meaning -- Look, Reveal, Breath
( Pictogram information source= http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/28_chart.html )

This word is translated as LORD.
It has the meaning of working, putting things together, showing them or revealing them, making things stable, secure, rock solid, living, breathing revelation.

The Lord is a living breathing revelation of LIFE and work and how things work and ought to work together for good.

I find it very interesting and amusing that in the English language we sometimes say "HEY" to gain the attention of another person and that "Hey" is the name of the Hebrew symbol which basically means pay attention and look at what I am showing you.
I also find it very interesting that the pictograph "HEY" is a picture of a man with his arms stretched out.
It reminds me of a few things
* Surrender
* Worship
* A cry for help
* An attempt to attract attention
* Sacrifice

This tetrogram, to me suggests a way of life which is about teaching and learning from others. It is about paying attention to life and living things. It is about being aware of our surrounding and the people around us who need help, guidance, direction etc and to give that help when and where we can. When the human race works together in this way, all peoples needs should be met and no person would ever be starving or in poverty ever again because all would help one another and care for each other and make sure everyone has at least the basics in life to survive.

This is the background meaning of the word LORD. It is a principle and very practical way of life. It is not an old man in the sky who sits on a throne like a king ruling a lot of subjects.
From what I have learned about it, Hebrew thinking is very practical and real when it comes to spiritual things. It is way of life to them.
Western thinking is far more abstract and unrealistic and tends to create an image of a superhuman being ruling the planet. This is incorrect and impractical thinking which tends to create a "religious fantasy land" which is ruled by "a ghost" or some "imaginary spiritual king" in the sky.