Help with a prophesy.

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

watchman

Help with a prophesy.

Post #1

Post by watchman »

I need some help please.

Matthew 2:23 speaks of a prophesy about a Nazarene.

“Matthew 2:23, And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.�

Does anyone know the source of this prophesy.
Thank you in advance.

Darias
Guru

Re: Help with a prophesy.

Post #2

Post by Darias »

watchman wrote:I need some help please.

“Matthew 2:23, And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.�

Thank you in advance.
The Old Testament does not mention Nazareth or Nazarene anywhere. Whatever prophesy this author is speaking of can't have anything to do with the Torah. Maybe there are some other prophets talked about in other sacred books not included in the creation of Biblical Canon? I have no idea. Your guess is as good as mine.

S-word
Scholar

Post #3

Post by S-word »

Thank you in advance.
The name [Nazareth] has occurred in a variety of forms such as Nazaret, Nazareth, Nazara, Nazarat, etc. In the days of Jerome and Eusebius, it was called “Nazara� and the origin of Nazara is neser, which means "a shoot". Because Nazarenos, or Nazoraios, is believed to have derived from Nazara/neser, in the prophecy in Isaiah 11: 1; in the place where we read and translate, "There shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a “branch/shoot� shall grow out of his roots," in the Hebrew idiom it's written, "There shall come forth a rod out of the root of Jesse and a Nazarene shall grow from his root."

With my limited knowledge of Hebrew and Greek, I have to rely on language experts from the internet, and that’s the best that I can do for you mate.

If you care to Google up “Jerome, Letter 47:7� you might get a better insight as from where the prophecy originated.

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

S-word wrote:

Thank you in advance.
The name [Nazareth] has occurred in a variety of forms such as Nazaret, Nazareth, Nazara, Nazarat, etc. In the days of Jerome and Eusebius, it was called “Nazara� and the origin of Nazara is neser, which means "a shoot". Because Nazarenos, or Nazoraios, is believed to have derived from Nazara/neser, in the prophecy in Isaiah 11: 1; in the place where we read and translate, "There shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a “branch/shoot� shall grow out of his roots," in the Hebrew idiom it's written, "There shall come forth a rod out of the root of Jesse and a Nazarene shall grow from his root."

With my limited knowledge of Hebrew and Greek, I have to rely on language experts from the internet, and that’s the best that I can do for you mate.

If you care to Google up “Jerome, Letter 47:7� you might get a better insight as from where the prophecy originated.
Here is an extended discussion of the ‘branch’ idea and messianic expectations in general in Isaiah 11.

http://moellerhaus.com/11-12.htm
http://moellerhaus.com/nazer2.htm

BTW White describes Nazareth as a satellite village that sprung up around the city of Sepphoris when that city became a Roman administrative center after 37 BC. It is therefore no surprise that Nazareth is not mentioned in the OT.
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

watchman

Thanks ...

Post #5

Post by watchman »

Thank you all for the responses.

S-word
Scholar

Post #6

Post by S-word »

ThatGirlAgain wrote:
S-word wrote:

Thank you in advance.

Here is an extended discussion of the ‘branch’ idea and messianic expectations in general in Isaiah 11.

http://moellerhaus.com/11-12.htm
http://moellerhaus.com/nazer2.htm

BTW White describes Nazareth as a satellite village that sprung up around the city of Sepphoris when that city became a Roman administrative center after 37 BC. It is therefore no surprise that Nazareth is not mentioned in the OT.
Thanks mate. I believe also, that the first time Nazareth is mentioned anywhere outside the Bible, is in a poem from the seventh century.

Josephus the historian, who was stationed in Galilee, records the names of all the towns and village's in that area of Israel, but makes no mentin of Nazareth.

I could be wrong here, but it's in me brain so I must have heard it somewhere.

watchman

Post #7

Post by watchman »

Thanks S-word ,

I haven't found the poem ..... yet.

but did come across this ....

(this version from Wikipedia) :
"The first non-Christian reference to Nazareth is an inscription on a marble fragment from a synagogue found in Caesarea Maritima in 1962.[20] This fragment gives the town's name in Hebrew as "נצרת" (n-ṣ-r-t). The inscription dates to c. 300 AD and chronicles the assignment of priests that took place at some time after the Bar Kokhba revolt, 132-35 AD."

66minouche
Student

Post #8

Post by 66minouche »

I need some help please.

Thank you in advance.[/quote]

Some sources indicate that the are 22 Books have been removed from the bible, Many analyses of the "Lost Books" also include references to Epistles and Gospels which also adds to the confusion .other list hundred of Books or references, some have only associations with the Bible.the Nazarene Prophecy Source is one of those books.

puddleglum
Sage

Post #9

Post by puddleglum »

Perhaps this will help you:

http://carm.org/bible-difficulties/matt ... g-nazareth

There are many other books mentioned in the Bible and there are many books that some people have believed to be inspired by God but none of these books were removed from the Bible; they were simply never part of it to begin with. God will preserve his word and keep it from getting lost.
The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever.
(Isaiah 40:8 ESV)
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Goat »

theophilus40 wrote: Perhaps this will help you:

http://carm.org/bible-difficulties/matt ... g-nazareth

There are many other books mentioned in the Bible and there are many books that some people have believed to be inspired by God but none of these books were removed from the Bible; they were simply never part of it to begin with. God will preserve his word and keep it from getting lost.
The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever.
(Isaiah 40:8 ESV)

I noticed that the carm essay had some factual errors in it, such as the claim about the bath house is not supported by.. well, you know.. facts.

For example, real archeologists say that the bath house was from the Crusader era, not from the 'time of Jesus'. While Richard Fruend, a theologian, thinks it is from the time of Jesus, he is involved in a number of things that many archeologists consider 'pseudo archeology'. In other words, he sees Jesus in every find.. no matter how appropriate or not.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella