A thorough study of the entire Bible-Thread 1.

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

DiscipleOfTruth
Scholar

A thorough study of the entire Bible-Thread 1.

Post #1

Post by DiscipleOfTruth »

Introduction:

Hello, so this was something that I've been wanting to do for a very long time now with all religious books and I finally found the motivation to go ahead with it. I'd like for us to present our own interpretations of the entire Bible. I have decided to do so by presenting each and every chapter from all the books for discussion, notes, and interpretations to hopefully increase our own understanding of it while acknowledging the differences of others Biblical perception. So all are welcome to join in and give their input, for if anyone holds back it actually hinders the purpose of this thread.

This will be a series of threads and this will take a very long time to complete even though the Bible is a book that one could probably always go back to and learn something that may of been missed when reading it before. Do to my life being a bit unpredictable I can't estimate a time frame of when we will get from Genesis to Revelation or promise that there won't be any long pauses in progress. It's safe to assume that this can take years. To keep this organized and convenient for all readers regardless of when they join in on this project of mines I'd like to ask a few things:

1.Feel free to go on to the next chapter for discussion at any time but please make sure to use the subject heading or first few sentences to give the main idea of your post. Only so I can later edit a post for cross references i.e. someone says something about chaper 28 that leads to a better understanding of chapter one. Or even references between different books of the Bible.

2.If someone has an interpretation that contradicts your own you may want to correct them with yours. If an agreement can't be made after a short discussion please take the debate to a new thread so that this one doesn't get derailed. Even if we all didn't debate anything the threads are going to be really long. Hopefully if the time limit to edit posts is removed I can update a list of references to all readers.

3.Some parts of these threads can seem stupid, boring, where as we will find ourselves going over very simple chapters that seem to not need any review. Or some of us may feel that our thoughts on something isn't important or relevent enough. Please resist such an urge and present your thoughts. I'd prefer that we didn't overlook anything as it might support a powerful reference later.

4.Please try to be descriptive if you use any references from parts of the Bible we haven't got to yet so I can update the list of references easier.

5.Please try to not to take what others believe personally. There seems to be no end to what the Bible can says to any reader.

Table of Contents:

Chapter 1..................................page 1
Chapter 2..................................page 1
Chapter 3..................................page 2
Chapter 4..................................page 2

Debates for this thread:

On the nakedness and the Devil being a snake as literal or not, as well as looking to see if there's a way to commonly interpret scripture as literal or figurative.

http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 990#562990

References:

http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... hp?t=23345
Last edited by DiscipleOfTruth on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:25 am, edited 6 times in total.

DiscipleOfTruth
Scholar

Post #21

Post by DiscipleOfTruth »

My personal response and wonders to chapter 4:

How was Cain to know his offering was wrong? Why was God pleased with Abel's offerings and not Cain's?
So Cain was very angry, and his face was downcast.

This is the first scripture to talk about anger.
7If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.�
How was Cain to know he was doing somthing wrong? Coincidentally it's interesting to see that the nature of sin is being spoken of as some kind of entity even though I'm sure it wasn't intended to mean that it is/was one.
8Now Cain said to his brother Abel, “Let’s go out to the field.�d While they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him.
This is the first scriptures to explain the deliberate manipulation and deception that is practiced among people.
10The Lord said, “What have you done? Listen! Your brother’s blood cries out to me from the ground. 11Now you are under a curse and driven from the ground,
This scripture shows the act of placing curses on people, it can be later seen between people when Noah placed a curse on the person that didn't cover his drunk naked body in his tent.
17Cain made love to his wife,
Who was Cain's wife?
23Lamech said to his wives,

“Adah and Zillah, listen to me;

wives of Lamech, hear my words.

I have killed a man for wounding me,

a young man for injuring me.

24If Cain is avenged seven times,

then Lamech seventy-seven times.�
It's interesting to see how circumstances caused people to believe that thier reality was a certain way. Was his belief about the curse being magnified on certain offenders to be taken as true or was he simply incorrect?