Does the Bible mention incest and if so....

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

barcelonic
Student

Does the Bible mention incest and if so....

Post #1

Post by barcelonic »

How does the Bible then account for the development of the first family of Genesis, into millions of people, without incestuous relationships having occurred?

This one has been bugging me for a while. I brought it up once before in a debate and I was given some answer about Augustine perhaps I'm not sure exactly, but how is the lineage of Adam & Eve explained in the Bible and what does the Bible have to say on the subject of incest?

Any references/examples would be appreciated too, thanks :)

Wootah
Savant

Post #11

Post by Wootah »

barcelonic wrote:
Wootah wrote: The commandment against incest (and this can be generalised to basically all of the law) is in response to the fallen nature of the world and therefore not a contradiction with the original state but a response to the fallen state.
So where does it suggest this in the Bible?

Remember I'm only looking for what the Bible has to say; not people's modern interpretations regarding genes.
Are you asking for bible verses on incest or what the reason was for those verses? are you asking, without our modern genetic understanding what reason is there for anyone to be against incest?

I can find new testament verses on the law if you like?

keithprosser3

Post #12

Post by keithprosser3 »

Wikipedia has this covered pretty well, and I can't believe B is incapable of typing 'incest in the bible' into google, so what is going on?

barcelonic
Student

Post #13

Post by barcelonic »

Keith I'm disappointed for you that you can't believe that because it is of course untrue

--------

Wootah - thanks yes i am hoping to see what the scriptures say on the matter.
Sadly there will always be some like Keith who think a 'Google-education' is good enough for them, but I came onto this forum to discuss things with theologians and Biblical scholars. I have a Bible here at my feet but it's a big book and i aint even close to finishing it yet lol :)

But ye basically I'd like to know where in the Book it says about incest being bad and who it is saying it and what is said. It'll no doubt be brought up on more than one occasion so I figured asking a pool of Christians online would yield the best results - certainly more than Wikipedia would divulge.

bluethread
Savant

Post #14

Post by bluethread »

There are several things that are floating around here. First, if one looks at the first six chapters as mythopoetic, not all details need be made clear. The purpose of mythology is not to give a detailed explanation of all things, but explain some things. Even if one takes the literalistic approach to these chapters, the world was different prior to the flood, so incest may not have been as much of a problem.

Regarding who to commandment regarding incest were given to, they were given to Adonai's people. The Scriptures tell us that when Israel left eygpt, prior to the prohibition, they were a mixed multitude. I take that to mean that not all of them were hereditary descendants of Israel. We know this to be true, because Calev, the appointed spy of Yehuda was a Kennezite. The Kennezites were a Cannanite clan.

The actual prohibitions can be found in Lev. 17 and the penalties are in Lev. 20.

keithprosser3

Post #15

Post by keithprosser3 »

But ye basically I'd like to know where in the Book it says about incest being bad and who it is saying it and what is said. It'll no doubt be brought up on more than one occasion so I figured asking a pool of Christians online would yield the best results - certainly more than Wikipedia would divulge.
I hope you haven't been disappointed. The wiki article has a lot more information than has been posted by our resident theologians and bible scholars.

barcelonic
Student

Post #16

Post by barcelonic »

thanks all, and thanks BT for the references

I'm not sure if i should start a new thread cus this is unrelated but does anyone also have any references for passages in the Bible about the nature of the Holy Trinity?

Thanks again everyone actually you guys have been v helpful and moreso than Wiki for sure :)
Particularly with my bible to hand i can look and see (plus different bibles say different things but mine's a good one i made sure) :)

mitty
Sage

Post #17

Post by mitty »

Wootah wrote: Hi Barcelonic,

There definitely would have been incest in the growth of humanity from Adam and Eve.

Genetically speaking the issue with incest is that if you have a bad gene and your sibling has a bad gene the chance of that gene being promoted is greatly increased. There were no bad genes at the start of creation and bad genes would have started happening after the fall.

The stigma of incest most likely, biologically, comes from the above and the necessity of making a law of it is more likely to enforce the reality that incest is biologically bad in a fallen world.

The commandment against incest (and this can be generalised to basically all of the law) is in response to the fallen nature of the world and therefore not a contradiction with the original state but a response to the fallen state.
So what was the reason for the Noachic flood, given that the bible story says that only Noah's extended family were drowned, including his siblings, his cousins, his aunts & uncles and families, and even his 969 year-old grandfather Methusael (Gen 4:18 5:27) plus his mummy and granny if still alive. Was it all that inbreeding which was the problem. If so, then the bible god would have made the same mistake by still allowing an intensely inbred line to survive, or did it zap in another unrelated line in the same way that it zapped in all that extra water to cover the earth, and then zapped it out again, although the bible says that it was only a local flood about 25 feet high (Gen 7:20) which didn't drown a nearby olive tree (Gen 8:11) or a pine tree still happily growing in California which was already an old tree when Adam's grandfather was a boy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methuselah_(tree)

DiscipleOfTruth
Scholar

Post #18

Post by DiscipleOfTruth »

My fitst suspicion of incest is the unidetified wife of Cain. Looking ahead when God started to make rules against it indicates not the tolerance but allowing of it. I'm curious to see how the story would of played out if man didn't sin.

barcelonic
Student

Post #19

Post by barcelonic »

Hi again, sorry for delay i've been unwell >>

Given how the flood has been brought up, might i also ask for more info on that as there are things i fdont undertand still...

Was Noah's family 'fallen' or were they 'good' in the eyes of God?
If they were fallen, why were they told to go out into the world and multiply and replenish the Earth?
And if they were the only people left (if the deluge wiped everyone else out), must we then be descendents of incest in Noah's family?
Or were there others left alive who weren't in the ark?

Thanks again :)

mitty
Sage

Post #20

Post by mitty »

barcelonic wrote: Hi again, sorry for delay i've been unwell >>

Given how the flood has been brought up, might i also ask for more info on that as there are things i fdont undertand still...

Was Noah's family 'fallen' or were they 'good' in the eyes of God?
If they were fallen, why were they told to go out into the world and multiply and replenish the Earth?
And if they were the only people left (if the deluge wiped everyone else out), must we then be descendents of incest in Noah's family?
Or were there others left alive who weren't in the ark?

Thanks again :)
While there were other groups of humans who were totally unaffected by the flood, including our aboriginals who arrived in this country over 50,000 years ago and didn't kow tow to the bible god, the bible says that the only surviving members of Noah's family were himself and his 600 year old wife (assuming she was of similar age to Noah) and their 100 year old triplet sons (Gen 5:32) and their wives. Alas Noah's extended family all drowned, including his 969 year old grandfather Methusael (Gen 4:18 5:27).