Does the Bible mention incest and if so....

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

barcelonic
Student

Does the Bible mention incest and if so....

Post #1

Post by barcelonic »

How does the Bible then account for the development of the first family of Genesis, into millions of people, without incestuous relationships having occurred?

This one has been bugging me for a while. I brought it up once before in a debate and I was given some answer about Augustine perhaps I'm not sure exactly, but how is the lineage of Adam & Eve explained in the Bible and what does the Bible have to say on the subject of incest?

Any references/examples would be appreciated too, thanks :)

Angel song

Does the Bible mention incest?

Post #31

Post by Angel song »

Genesis 19:31-37 reveals that Lot's daughters deliberately got him drunk so that they could sleep with him and conceive. The older daughter's baby was Moab who became the ancestor of the Moabites while the younger daughter's baby was named Benammi and became the ancestor of the Ammonites.

Whether this condones or condemns incest is another matter!

mitty
Sage

Re: Does the Bible mention incest?

Post #32

Post by mitty »

Angel song wrote: Genesis 19:31-37 reveals that Lot's daughters deliberately got him drunk so that they could sleep with him and conceive. The older daughter's baby was Moab who became the ancestor of the Moabites while the younger daughter's baby was named Benammi and became the ancestor of the Ammonites.

Whether this condones or condemns incest is another matter!
Hmmmm!!! If there's any truth in that story, then Lot certainly had his priorities right when he took all that booze into that isolated cave with his daughters. And while the bible may blame the daughters, it was most probably Lot who sexually assaulted his daughters instead, and to save face he blamed them. Afterall, what a coincidence that both daughters became pregnant immediately on just two consecutive nights which happened to coincide with their ovulations. For an elderly man to maintain an erection and ejaculate, then he must have been well aware of what he was doing despite what the male biblical writers wrote. And Lot already had form when he tried unsuccessfully to pimp his daughters to a group of old men and boys who wanted to know what a couple of strangers were up to in their town.

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Re: Does the Bible mention incest and if so....

Post #33

Post by Yahu »

barcelonic wrote: How does the Bible then account for the development of the first family of Genesis, into millions of people, without incestuous relationships having occurred?

This one has been bugging me for a while. I brought it up once before in a debate and I was given some answer about Augustine perhaps I'm not sure exactly, but how is the lineage of Adam & Eve explained in the Bible and what does the Bible have to say on the subject of incest?

Any references/examples would be appreciated too, thanks :)
Incest isnt a problem until the gene pool is narrowed by generations of inbreeding. Incest wasnt forbidden until the law of Moses, many generations down from Noah. Incest wasnt forbidden until that time period. It was common to marry a close relative before then.

For example, Abrams eldest brother died. That brother had two daughters, Saria and Milkah which mean Queen and Princess. Abrams next elder brother married Milkah and Abram married his younger niece Saria. Isaac and Jacob took wives from the family of Abrams brother as well. Some think Saria was his sister because it says she was a daughter of his father but the Hebrew word also applies to a granddaughter.

The Israelites where to marry other Israelites to keep their bloodline pure but close incest of marrying a sister was forbidden by that time to prevent too much close inbreeding. It was still common during the time of Jacob. I dont remember which of Jacobs sons married his half sister Dinah.

Geneitc diversity was much greater in the earlier times and wasnt an issue therefore incest was not forbbidden. Think about it. Adam and Eve carried all the genetic diversity of everyone living today.

Children of Adam and Eve marrying wasnt a sin. It wasnt forbidden and couldnt be at that time. Inbreeding is what sets certain genetic traits as being passed down and what separated mankind into different races. We are all products of a certain amount of inbreeding.

The only reason incest is a sin is because jt is now forbidden by later laws. The sin would be of disobedience.

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #34

Post by Yahu »

barcelonic wrote: Hi again, sorry for delay i've been unwell >>

Given how the flood has been brought up, might i also ask for more info on that as there are things i fdont undertand still...

Was Noah's family 'fallen' or were they 'good' in the eyes of God?
If they were fallen, why were they told to go out into the world and multiply and replenish the Earth?
And if they were the only people left (if the deluge wiped everyone else out), must we then be descendents of incest in Noah's family?
Or were there others left alive who weren't in the ark?

Thanks again :)
Scripture is clear that no one else servived the flood. If you go into some of the noncanon hewbrew histories even the wives of Noahs sons were three sister that were like neices of Noah if I remember right. The gene fool was greatly narrowed by the flood.

Now Noahs grandchildren had to at least marry a cousin.

101G
Apprentice

Post #35

Post by 101G »

[Replying to post 7 by puddleglum]

I read the link given, and couldn't buy that answer. here's why. #1 Cain had a wife before he left, and went eastward into nod. because he knew or (had sex with his wife there). he did not find his wife there, but had sex/knew her there.

as an alternative answer, yes he married one of his nieces, cousins, and or sister? here is the reason why I make this claim. I am of the belief, (backed up by scripture), that Adam and Eve had children inside the garden before they had children (Cain and Abel) outside the garden. supportive scripture, Genesis 3:16 and Genesis 3:20 respectively.

by knowing that Adam and Eve had children (spiritually alive to God) before the fall into sin, it answer where Cain got his wife from, and it also answer the sons of God question in Genesis chapter 6.

hope this help.

evilsorcerer1
Banned
Banned

incest

Post #36

Post by evilsorcerer1 »

Just because people say incest is worse doesn't mean it is. It could just as easily be better to have slept with a close relative than not. People might be designed that way, and although things can change over time and there's always the factor of each individual you marry, it might have been a lot better than walking 1000 miles in hopes of meeting someone.