Books of theology

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

Jay Gatsby

Books of theology

Post #1

Post by Jay Gatsby »

I've been looking for books to read with regards to Theology as well as understanding a basic as well as in-depth understanding of the Bible. I'm trying to gain as many different impressions and interpretations of the Bible as I can before I choose whether or not to subscribe to theism.

I've been Agnostic for as long as I can remember, so it's tricky for me to just 'switch sides' per se, so I'm trying to do it the only and best way I know how, which is to absorb as much information as I can and make as best educated decision as I can, or at least close to that.

I've seen a wonderful looking set, at least aesthetically, called Calvin's Commentaries for a very attractive price. It's the 500 year anniversary set and they were published in 2009 and work out at about 11 dollars a book for beautiful hardbacks. Would you recommend this set? It's a 22 volume set in case you aren't familiar and it was written by John Calvin. To my knowledge there is such a thing called 'Calvinism', so I can only imagine that his work has been influential enough in-so-much as warranting its own sub-culture of sorts.

I've got an English Standard Version Study Bible, The Oxford Bible Commentary and Matthew Henry's Bible Commentary. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

All recommendations and advice appreciated!

spotterex1712

Re: Books of theology

Post #2

Post by spotterex1712 »

[Replying to post 1 by Jay Gatsby]

Couple of recommendations: Karl Barth's commentary on Romans. you can get a paperback copy for around $15. Watchman Nee's The Normal Christian Life, you can get the pdf online free. In fact, I'd really recommend Nee first. Nee's book is really focused on his interpretation of a small section of Romans. His theology isn't as 'developed' as Barth's - which is to say that it is a much easier read, but still very challenging. Read both with your Bible at hand. When you disagree, disagree from your Bible, not your gut.

puddleglum
Sage

Post #3

Post by puddleglum »

spotterex1712 wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Jay Gatsby]

Read both with your Bible at hand. When you disagree, disagree from your Bible, not your gut.
You have this backward. The Bible is inspired by God and is never wrong; we are all fallible and our beliefs are often wrong.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

spotterex1712

Post #4

Post by spotterex1712 »

[Replying to theophilus40]

Sorry for my lack of clarity -
"The Bible is inspired by God and is never wrong; we are all fallible and our beliefs are often wrong."
is the message I hoped to convey. Disagreeing with man, and seeking the truth in Scripture is, I think, just the behavior that Paul encouraged in the Bereans. No?

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Aetixintro »

Hi

Breaking the "silence", I suggest these for a start (and maybe pursue only the academic ones too so that...):
1. http://www.amazon.com/Systematic-Theolo ... 310286700/
2. http://www.amazon.com/Systematic-Theolo ... 802838200/
3. http://www.amazon.com/Systematic-Theolo ... 764206036/
4. http://www.amazon.com/Systematic-Theolo ... 596382171/

One university curriculum:
http://www.uio.no/studier/emner/teologi ... x-eng.html - KRIS4104 - New Testament Theology
http://www.uio.no/studier/emner/teologi ... x-eng.html - KRIS4106 - Family and Asceticism in the Theology of Jesus and Paul .

TomD
Student

Post #6

Post by TomD »

Frank Sheed "Theology for Beginners" is a good grounding. His "Theology and Sanity" goes on from there.

steveb1
Scholar

Post #7

Post by steveb1 »

Jay Gatsby wrote: I've been looking for books to read with regards to Theology as well as understanding a basic as well as in-depth understanding of the Bible. I'm trying to gain as many different impressions and interpretations of the Bible as I can before I choose whether or not to subscribe to theism.

I've been Agnostic for as long as I can remember, so it's tricky for me to just 'switch sides' per se, so I'm trying to do it the only and best way I know how, which is to absorb as much information as I can and make as best educated decision as I can, or at least close to that.

I've seen a wonderful looking set, at least aesthetically, called Calvin's Commentaries for a very attractive price. It's the 500 year anniversary set and they were published in 2009 and work out at about 11 dollars a book for beautiful hardbacks. Would you recommend this set? It's a 22 volume set in case you aren't familiar and it was written by John Calvin. To my knowledge there is such a thing called 'Calvinism', so I can only imagine that his work has been influential enough in-so-much as warranting its own sub-culture of sorts.

I've got an English Standard Version Study Bible, The Oxford Bible Commentary and Matthew Henry's Bible Commentary. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

All recommendations and advice appreciated!
One new book I love:

... and ...

... and ...

Best of luck in your search and your studies.

DPMartin
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by DPMartin »

[Replying to post 1 by Jay Gatsby]

Jesus is the interpretation of scripture not men, so you will waste your time in men's theology, in order to understand scripture. in essence the Bible is about what God thinks and has to say. theology is about what men think and have to say about what God thinks and has to say. (the serpent did that in the garden)

so if you become expert at theology you will know what you think, but what you think is bogus before God. but not within the group that thinks the same as you. so if you seek men's approval theology is it. if you seek God's approval, then it is in Jesus Christ.

the bible is a documentation of people and a people and the Lord their God also known as Elohim (Creator and Judge) those who are experiencing such a experience can affirm the same God of Abraham via the bible. those who have no relationship with the Almighty through His Son Jesus Christ will never have any understanding that the bible is intended for.

puddleglum
Sage

Post #9

Post by puddleglum »

Jay Gatsby wrote: I've been looking for books to read with regards to Theology as well as understanding a basic as well as in-depth understanding of the Bible. I'm trying to gain as many different impressions and interpretations of the Bible as I can before I choose whether or not to subscribe to theism.

Before you begin reading books about the Bible you should read the Bible itself. Have you ever done this?
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV