Was Job righteous?

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

Was Job righteous?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 3

Wissing
Apprentice

Was Job righteous?

Post #1

Post by Wissing »

In the book of Job, it says in the very beginning that Job is a righteous man [1]. However, later on in the book, Job curses the day he was born [2]. His friends come to him and tell him he must have done something wrong, to deserve the wrath of God [3]. This happens several times, and each time Job responds affirming that he believes he is innocent, and asking what in the world he did to offend God [4]. Later he expresses longing for a way to contend with God, for an "umpire" - he expresses sorrow that God is infinite and almighty, not mortal so that Job can plead his case [5].

Again and again, his friends chime in the old cliché: what goes around comes around - the Lord punishes the wicked and blesses the righteous. Job disagrees.

Finally, a young man speaks up, rebuking both Job and his friends for their self-righteousness [6].

Lastly, God speaks directly to Job [7]. God spends several stanzas rebuking Job - for arguing without knowing what he's talking about (hmm... how often do we do this on the internet). And yet, God also later rebukes Job's friends and makes them sacrifice to Job. Here, after Job has answered in humility to God, He says Job has spoken rightly [8].

The question for debate is this:

Was Job really righteous, or was Job unrighteous?

References: All quotes from NRSV.
[1] Job 1:1 "There was once a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job. That man was blameless and upright, one who feared God and turned away from evil."

[2] Job 3:2-4 "Job said:
Let the day perish in which I was born,
and the night that said,
‘A man-child is conceived.’
Let that day be darkness!
May God above not seek it,
or light shine on it."

[3] Job 4:17 (Eliphaz speaking) "Can mortals be righteous before God? Can human beings be pure before their Maker?"

[4] Job 7:20-21 "If I sin, what do I do to you, you watcher of humanity?
Why have you made me your target?
Why have I become a burden to you?
Why do you not pardon my transgression and take away my iniquity?"

[5] Job 9:32-33 "For he is not a mortal, as I am, that I might answer him, that we should come to trial together.
There is no umpire between us, who might lay his hand on us both.

[6] Job 32:2-3 "Then Elihu son of Barachel the Buzite, of the family of Ram, became angry. He was angry at Job because he justified himself rather than God; he was angry also at Job’s three friends because they had found no answer, though they had declared Job to be in the wrong."

[7] Job 38:1-3. "Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind:
“Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge?
Gird up your loins like a man,
I will question you, and you shall declare to me."

[8] Job 42:7 "My wrath is kindled against you and against your two friends; for you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has."

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: Was Job righteous?

Post #11

Post by ttruscott »

Wissing wrote: In the book of Job, it says in the very beginning that Job is a righteous man [1]. However, later on in the book, Job curses the day he was born...
From my lonely and unique pov I see Job as a sinner who by the grace of GOD never sinned on earth but who was later convicted of sin from the creation of the physical universe to prove that he was a sinner before he was conceived as human, my particular heterodox offering to Christian theology.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #12

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 11 by ttruscott]

Interesting. What do you mean by "a sinner" and do you believe there have been any humans on earth (with the exception of Jesus) that were not "sinners"?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

101G
Apprentice

Post #13

Post by 101G »

[Replying to post 3 by Yahu]

GINOLJC, I agree Job was righteous, but I disagree about Job's friends. here's why. Job and his friends was "sons of God". scripture, Job 1:3 "His substance also was seven thousand sheep, and three thousand camels, and five hundred yoke of oxen, and five hundred she asses, and a very great household; so that this man was the greatest of all the men of the east.

that word "men" of the east, here in the verse, is very interesting. it is the Hebrew word,
H1121 בֵּן ben (bane) n-m.
בָּנִי� baniym (ba-neem') [plural]
בְּנִי bniy (ben-ee') [possessive singular]
בָּנַי banay (baw-nah'ee) [possessive plural]
(used widely) a son (as a builder of the family name).
{in the widest sense of literal and figurative relationship, including grandson, subject, nation, quality or condition, etc., (like H1 H251, etc.).}
[from H1129]

according to the book account, they was his friends, not relatives in the sense.
this word used here of "MEN" the Hebrew word H1121 בֵּן ben is interesting indeed. this is the very same word used in Genesis 6:2, 6:4, for sons of God, and the reason why I reference these verses is because, Job and his friends was keeping the feast days of God, see Deuteronomy 16:13 -15. this correspond with Job 1:1-5. knowing this and other things contain the book of Job, it is very symbolic with meaningful with hidden truths. only they need to be decipher in the correct way.

hoped this helped.