Turn the other cheek

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

puddleglum
Sage

Turn the other cheek

Post #1

Post by puddleglum »

Jesus said, "To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also." Does that mean he wants his followers to be pacifists and never fight under any circumstances?

The above quote is found in Luke's gospel. He says the same thing in Matthew but adds a detail which helps us to better understand what he meant.

But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.
(Matthew 5:39 ESV)

Here he specifies striking on the right cheek. Most people are right handed. If you face someone and hit him on the right cheek with your right hand you will have to hit him with the back of your hand. If you are trying to hurt him physically this is not an effective way to do it. When Jesus commanded us to turn the other cheek he wasn't forbidding us to defend ourselves but telling us not to retaliate when someone insults us.

Jesus never taught pacifism. On at least one occasion he commended a Roman centurion for his faith. Before he was arrested he told his disciples to buy swords so they could defend themselves. Jesus prohibited revenge and retaliation but he never said we couldn't use for to protect ourselves and others.

He did rebuke Peter for using a sword to keep him from being arrested but that was because the arrest and the death that followed it were part of God's plan.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Re: Turn the other cheek

Post #2

Post by Yahu »

puddleglum wrote: Jesus said, "To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also." Does that mean he wants his followers to be pacifists and never fight under any circumstances?

The above quote is found in Luke's gospel. He says the same thing in Matthew but adds a detail which helps us to better understand what he meant.

But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Here he specifies striking on the right cheek. Most people are right handed. If you face someone and hit him on the right cheek with your right hand you will have to hit him with the back of your hand. If you are trying to hurt him physically this is not an effective way to do it. When Jesus commanded us to turn the other cheek he wasn't forbidding us to defend ourselves but telling us not to retaliate when someone insults us.

Jesus never taught pacifism. On at least one occasion he commended a Roman centurion for his faith. Before he was arrested he told his disciples to buy swords so they could defend themselves. Jesus prohibited revenge and retaliation but he never said we couldn't use for to protect ourselves and others.

He did rebuke Peter for using a sword to keep him from being arrested but that was because the arrest and the death that followed it were part of God's plan.
No it isn't a teaching of pacifism. You have to understand the context of being slapped in the face. He was slapped in the face when He was accused of blasphemy. He stood His ground, didn't recant His position.

Turning the other cheek is an act of defiance when falsely accused of error. The teaching is to stand your ground when you are the right regardless of the attacks against you.

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Peds nurse »

I don't know where I have been, but I just found this beautiful place!

I think that we are to protect ourselves. God did not intend for us to be doormats. What He did intend, is for us to love Him and love others. A kind word turns away wrath, and I believe that is exactly what he was telling us to do here. To love deeply means that we have to forgive much!

Blessings my favorite people!

Wootah
Savant

Post #4

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 2 by Yahu]

In John 18 Jesus gets slapped. But i dont think that has anything to do with the sermon on the mount teaching. Am I forgetting something?

My thoughts

We could definitely argue that Jesus turned the other cheek towards humanity rather than struck us back.

The context for me is the parable of the servant. We should forgive the debts of others because God forgives ours.

The context is shame, turning the other cheek shames the person in their actions. It is inviting more harm to our selves, just lIke offering your cloak or going another mile would. These actions should shame the other person.

A slap is not life threatening - we don't have to turn the other cheek for a hay maker. But I would suggest that when faced with death we serve our enemy best by offering our breast. I doubt I would be so faithful to Jesus - his teachings are so hard - I rather hope to not be tested....
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

puddleglum
Sage

Post #5

Post by puddleglum »

Jesus said we should turn the other cheek but he also told his disciples they should buy swords. There are times when we need to use force, even deadly force, to defend ourselves and others.

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2014/ ... her-cheek/
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by puddleglum]

No. A Pacifist believes there is never any justifiable reason to fight. Since Jesus (in his capacity as Michael the Archangel) will lead God's armies in the war of Armageddon, he himself isn't "a pacifist").

That said, Jesus did not give his followers the authority to do anything but love their enemies. So Christians like Jesus look to God for justice and avoid resorting to violence.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by puddleglum]

No. A Pacifist believes there is never any justifiable reason to fight. Since Jesus (in his capacity as Michael the Archangel) will lead God's armies in the war of Armageddon, he himself isn't "a pacifist").

That said, Jesus did not give his followers the authority to do anything but love their enemies. So Christians like Jesus look to God for justice and avoid resorting to violence.
puddleglum wrote:But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

An open handed "slap" was an insulting gesture, less aimed at inflicting pain so much as provoking to confontation. (It was not so long ago, even here in Europe, if a "gentleman" wanted challenge another to a duel, he slapped him in the face with his glove. This was a challenge for conflict) In a similar way Jesus was telling his followers not to passively submit to physical abuse but to not rise to provokation to conflict or violence.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

RELATED POSTS

Early Christians and military service
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 83#p788183

Do the Divine wars in the bible authorize Christians to participate in human conflicts?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 64#p827364

What did Jesus mean by "turn the other cheek"?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 50#p773650

Are Jehovah's Witnesses cowards and opportunists?
viewtopic.php?p=881988#p881988

Would a Christian kill someone if God commanded it?
viewtopic.php?p=1059632#p1059632
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

CHRISTIANITY , WAR and ...PACIFISM ​
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:06 pm, edited 8 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Wootah
Savant

Post #8

Post by Wootah »

puddleglum wrote: Jesus said we should turn the other cheek but he also told his disciples they should buy swords. There are times when we need to use force, even deadly force, to defend ourselves and others.

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2014/ ... her-cheek/
I think this is a good summary of the whole sword carrying thing in the Bible:

http://www.answering-islam.org/Authors/ ... _22_36.htm
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 7 by JehovahsWitness]

In your post you included this statement:

"Jesus (in his capacity as Michael the Archangel) will lead God's armies in the war of Armageddon".

No, Jesus is not anyone other than Himself.

Jesus has never been, is not, and never will be, an angel of any kind.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 7 by JehovahsWitness]

In your post you included this statement:

"Jesus (in his capacity as Michael the Archangel) will lead God's armies in the war of Armageddon".

No, Jesus will not have the capacity to be anyone other than Himself.

Jesus has never been, is not, and never will be, an angel of any kind.