ESV vs NKJV, Translation sources, John 7:8

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

jgh7

ESV vs NKJV, Translation sources, John 7:8

Post #1

Post by jgh7 »

Of all people I have Jagella to thank for this lol.

In a particular thread he claimed Jesus had lied in John 7:8 when he told his brothers he was not going to the feast of tabernacles and then later secretly did. I had read this before and had also wondered about this.

After googling, I found that the KJV, NKJV, and other translations have the verse worded differently whereas that ESV and NIV leave a particular key word out of it:

NIV
You go to the festival. I am not going up to this festival, because my time has not yet fully come.�

ESV
You go up to the feast. I am not going up to this feast, for my time has not yet fully come.�

KJV
Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast: for my time is not yet full come.

NKJV
You go up to this feast. I am not yet going up to this feast, for My time has not yet fully come.

HCSB
Go up to the festival yourselves. I’m not going up to the festival yet, because My time has not yet fully come.

----------

As you can see, some translations (ESV and NIV) have Jesus saying he's not going to the feast while others say he's not yet going to the feast. To me, this makes a huge difference. I think the reason some translations like ESV and NIV omit "yet" while others like KJV, NKJV, HCSB have it is because the prior use the Alexandrain/Egyptian translations while the latter use the Majority Text translations. I am very new to studying translation sources though.

My questions:
What are people's opinions about the two translation sources? Are there other serious differences between the two that might make you favor one over the other? Right now I'm seriously considering switching to the NKJV or HCSB from the ESV. What are your thoughts on the matter?

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #11

Post by brianbbs67 »

I am not in any way a JW. But, in this , I agree with tigger2. Scripture has been tampered with a little and the NT, often. Once we move on from "ehyeh asher ehyeh". We should examine Act 20:7 and see why the Greek here is translated differently than just about anywhere else.(first day of the week, instead of one or first of the Sabbaths,"mia ton Shabbaton") Which then leads back to John 1:1 and its strange translation where "ton" is not included.

https://biblehub.com/text/john/1-1.htm

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #12

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Overcomer wrote:

It's your church, the Jehovah's Witnesses, that altered the Bible to make it fit their bogus theology.
That's quite an accusation, would you care to give an example?

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

tigger2
Sage

Post #13

Post by tigger2 »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Overcomer wrote:

It's your church, the Jehovah's Witnesses, that altered the Bible to make it fit their bogus theology.
That's quite an accusation, would you care to give an example?

JW
I tried to get comments on NWT 'alterations' here:

https://www.religiousforums.com/threads ... fy.223288/

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: ESV vs NKJV, Translation sources, John 7:8

Post #14

Post by ttruscott »

[Replying to post 1 by jgh7]
jgh7 wrote:My questions:
What are people's opinions about the two translation sources? Are there other serious differences between the two that might make you favor one over the other? Right now I'm seriously considering switching to the NKJV or HCSB from the ESV. What are your thoughts on the matter?
I believe all trust in such things is under the context of "believing in your own understanding" whether trusting someone else who is better at language or in your own scholarship...Prove 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.

Only the Holy Spirit has that which you are seeking...Seek HIM first, not scholarship: 1 Chronicles 22:19 Now devote your heart and soul to seeking the LORD your God. and HE will come into you and fill you with good food.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.