Why do we celebrate “Passover�?

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

justme2
Apprentice

Post #1

Post by justme2 »

And it came to pass in those days, when Moses was grown, that he went out to his brothers, and looked on their burdens: and he spied an Egyptian smiting an Hebrew, one of his brothers. And he looked this way and that way, and when he saw that there was no man, he slew the Egyptian, and hid him in the sand. And when he went out the second day, behold, two men of the Hebrews strove together: and he said to him that did the wrong, Why smite you your fellow?

Now when Pharaoh heard this thing, he sought to slay Moses. But Moses fled (exodus) from the face of Pharaoh, and dwelled in the land of Midian: and he sat down by a well. Moses and all the others flee Egypt and are scattered throughout the land.

Is the above reference to Moses and his followers fleeing Egypt what the following verse is talking about-?

(Jer 24:9 KJV) And I will deliver them to be removed into all the kingdoms of the earth for their hurt, to be a reproach and a proverb, a taunt and a curse, in all places whither I shall drive them.

Setting aside the above murder carried out by Moses, lets get back to “Passover�, another event that “Moses� knew was coming soon--

(Exo 12:21 KJV) Then Moses called for all the elders of Israel, and said unto them, Draw out and take you a lamb according to your families, and kill the Passover.

(Exo 12:26 KJV) And it shall come to pass, when your children shall say unto you, What mean ye by this service?

(Exo 12:27 KJV) That ye shall say, It is the sacrifice of the LORD'S Passover, who passed over the houses of the children of Israel in Egypt, when he smote the Egyptians, and delivered our houses. And the people bowed the head and worshipped.

(Exo 12:28 KJV) And the children of Israel went away, and did as the LORD had commanded Moses and Aaron, so did they.

(Exo 12:29) And it came to pass, that at midnight the Lord smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sat on his throne unto the firstborn of the captive that {was} in the dungeon; and all the firstborn of cattle.

(Exo 12:30 KJV) And Pharaoh rose up in the night, he, and all his servants, and all the Egyptians; and there was a great cry in Egypt; for there was not a house where there was not one dead.

I ask; why do we celebrate “Passover� knowing that during that night many, many lives were stricken.

Now that I know what “Passover� is really all about, I can no longer “celebrate� that horrific night, can you and if so; WHY?

:study:

bluethread
Savant

Post #2

Post by bluethread »

I commemorate Pesach, because it is the basis of HaTorah. Yes, there are some terrible things that took place, but it is important to note the reasons. When Moshe' slew the Egyptian, that was his own doing, he was to commanded to do that. Also, Moshe' fleeing Egypt is not related to Jer 24:9. That is about "Zedekiah king of Judah, his officials and the survivors from Jerusalem" in the days of Yirmeyahu. The death of the first born, like the rest of the plagues, was to impress upon the people of Egypt that their deities were no match to Adonai. Since, when they left, they were a mixed multitude, some of those in Egypt attached themselves to Israel, either observing Pesach with them, or joining them afterwards. What occurred was the equivalent of a war of liberation and terrible things happen in war.