Has this prophet already come?

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Has this prophet already come?

Post #1

Post by sleepyhead »

DEUT 18:15 The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from
the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall
hearken;
DEUT 18:16 According to all that thou desiredst of the LORD thy God in
Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, Let me not hear again the
voice of the LORD my God, neither let me see this great fire any more,
that I die not.
DEUT 18:17 And the LORD said unto me, They have well spoken that
which they have spoken.
DEUT 18:18 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren,
like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak
unto them all that I shall command him.
DEUT 18:19 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken
unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of
him.
Was this Jesus and if so was Jesus a prophet or God. What did Moses mean by like unto me.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Has this prophet already come?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Jesus I believe Jesus was indeed the Prophet Moses referenced. Jesus was "like" Moses in that he was a Great Prophet that came to liberate his people and establish a higher way of worship. There is nothing to indicate Prophet must be equated with "god".

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

woodtick
Student

Post #3

Post by woodtick »

Last edited by woodtick on Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:08 am... I believe Jesus was indeed the Prophet Moses referenced.
woodtick wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:47 pmYou are indeed correct. Muslim's believe that the 'prophet like unto Moses is -Muhammad!
If I am correct wouldnt that mean Muslims are incorrect?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

woodtick
Student

Post #5

Post by woodtick »

birdie

Post #6

Post by birdie »

Acts chapter 3 refers to the prophet that is being discussed by tying Jesus directly to the Old Testament scripture mentioned and shows that it is Jesus. Acts chapter 3 says that heaven must receive Jesus until the time of the restitution of all things. Presumably, the time of the restitution of all things is when Jesus comes again, but it could be referring to Jesus' first coming.

Acts 3:20-26:

"And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began. For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people. Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days. Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed. Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities. "

When scripture says that the prophet is 'like unto Moses', that makes sense because Moses was a deliverer and Jesus is the one who delivers us from all evil. Interestingly, the name Moses is an Egyptian word meaning "SON". Jesus is the Son of God and the Son of Man.