Galations 2:15-16 - Also the story of Paul in general

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Galations 2:15-16 - Also the story of Paul in general

Post #1

Post by Aetixintro »

The hunt for the one, true Bible - OR gate testing to 100%!

Galations 2:15-16, NIV:
15 “We who are Jews by birth and not sinful Gentiles 16 know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in [d] Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.

Source: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV.

Suggestion for the True Bible:
15 “We who are Jews by birth and not sinful Gentiles 16 know that a person is not justified by the works of the law alone, but also by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in [d] Christ and not only by the works of the law, because by the works of the law alone, no one will be justified.

Well, I'm torn between 2 stories of the Bible.
1. The 1000 Jesus Christs have been caused great evil/injustice and must be taken into account when one lives according to The 10 Commandments. Perhaps revenge aspects or causing death to people who otherwise deserve it, that is the case for rightful capital punishment.
2. The story of Paul in the Bible is that of a "half person", a schizophrenic who may himself have caused a Jesus Christ person great evil/injustice and is, therefore, a "half person". So he is made an example of how he interacts with people, how dangerous his story is in being a fake story of how to live, unlike that of God's rightful people.

I have a project for this: https://whatiswritten777.blogspot.com/2 ... sophy.html - "The Scientific Bible 2.0 - Commentary to the Bible"

What's your angle? The big worry is that people who believe in Jesus Christ still fall victim to evil and the Devil's ways in the World. This must be avoided, clearly. People becoming "Atheists", who fall away from faith are a huge problem. Your solution? Your Bible in light of this?
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Re: Galations 2:15-16 - Also the story of Paul in general

Post #2

Post by DavidLeon »

Aetixintro wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:48 pm .
The hunt for the one, true Bible - OR gate testing to 100%!
I'm not sure what the expression gate testing to 100% means, but there is no one true Bible. They are all imperfect and fallible.
Aetixintro wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:48 pmGalations 2:15-16, NIV:
15 “We who are Jews by birth and not sinful Gentiles 16 know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in [d] Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.

Source: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV.

Suggestion for the True Bible:
15 “We who are Jews by birth and not sinful Gentiles 16 know that a person is not justified by the works of the law alone, but also by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in [d] Christ and not only by the works of the law, because by the works of the law alone, no one will be justified.
There is a difference between a literal translation and a version of the Bible. A literal translation tries to capture the exact wording in translation whereas a version may take some creative liberties. So, your suggested verses above would be another version of the New International Version. Now, the NIV is an original Bible, not adapted from any other preexisting Bible. From the original Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. The American Standard Version, on the other hand, was based on the Revised Version, which was a revision of the KJV.

But I don't think that your suggestion is a very good one. He is talking about the law having been designed, aside from some practical elements like not killing, stealing, lying etc. but also as a tutor to demonstrate that they (the Jews to whom the law was given) sinned. If Adam hadn't sinned it would have been no problem for them to have followed the law and so no law would have been necessary. It wasn't about control, it was about awareness. So, following the law was a) impossible and b) no means of justifying sin. The forgiveness of sin, the resurrection hope, is an undeserved kindness, not a means in and of itself to remove or transcend sin. There's nothing we can do, say, believe or think that alone only or combined with anything can do that. It is exclusively Jehovah God's undeserved kindness (grace the religious people call it) through the ransom sacrifice of Christ Jesus that can do it. There are many things we can do to show our desire for salvation and Jehovah's will being complete, to show our willingness to be a part of it, but there isn't anything for which that is a reward.
Aetixintro wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:48 pmWell, I'm torn between 2 stories of the Bible.
1. The 1000 Jesus Christs have been caused great evil/injustice and must be taken into account when one lives according to The 10 Commandments. Perhaps revenge aspects or causing death to people who otherwise deserve it, that is the case for rightful capital punishment.
I don't know what 1000 Jesus Christs means. I don't understand the phrasing here. Are you saying that the 10 commandments are evil/injustice and have caused much harm throughout history? Gandhi was supposed to have said "An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." That suggests our each needing forgiveness. As stupid as I think we can be I don't think that it would get to that point even from the metaphorical or figurative perspective. we would eventually catch on that if you don't want your "eye" taken away from you then don't take it away from anyone else.
Aetixintro wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:48 pm2. The story of Paul in the Bible is that of a "half person", a schizophrenic who may himself have caused a Jesus Christ person great evil/injustice and is, therefore, a "half person". So he is made an example of how he interacts with people, how dangerous his story is in being a fake story of how to live, unlike that of God's rightful people.

I have a project for this: https://whatiswritten777.blogspot.com/2 ... sophy.html - "The Scientific Bible 2.0 - Commentary to the Bible"

What's your angle? The big worry is that people who believe in Jesus Christ still fall victim to evil and the Devil's ways in the World. This must be avoided, clearly. People becoming "Atheists", who fall away from faith are a huge problem. Your solution? Your Bible in light of this?
I don't see where atheists are a huge problem, in fact, in context it would be the Christian that is the problem. I think I touched on this in another thread where we were discussing why Christianity was loosing it's adherents, influence etc. You, if I'm not mistaken, suggested it was because people were seeing the evil, hypocrisy, corruption in the church and I thought there was more to it than that. If you think about it the church (Christianity) has been a great deal more effective at it's employing evil, greed, injustice, etc. in the past than currently. In fact, it seems that the more the religion looses it's influence the more it's capacity for evil diminishes. The Church used to have Kings by the, uh ... throat.
I no longer post here

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Aetixintro »

Thanks for reply.

Bottom line, your purgatory will be yours based on evil alone. I don't think you'll get far by citing Jesus Christ there. The evil you deserve is what you deserve regardless.

As such, the principles we give the next generation must be equally good to ours or better so that they can make the prayer real: "Your will become real on Earth as in Heaven!" Which is not something empty. That's the prayer we commanded to pray as order from our Holy Father God in Heaven!

Therefore, our principles must be equally good so that we can make the prayer become true! Thanks. :study: :-D 8-)
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by Sojournerofthearth »

Shabbat Shalom, Aetixintro.

Great topic... I'm not entirely certain that 1000 covers the variants by those who try to establish their perception of Jesus. I believe Paul's intent in vs 15 referring to Gentile sinners, was sarcasm. He chides them for their shunning of their Gentile brethren as though they do not keep or even understand the basics of the law of God, but yet, they claimed to follow Christ, which was abhorrent to the Jews.. which is why he expounded in vs 16 that a man isn't justified, brought into alignment with Christ, merely by keeping a checklist of things to do and not to do.

Ever work with anyone who keeps every rule religiously but cannot discern where their perception of the list of rules may not quite always get the job done? It is like the only reason they are there is to make sure they always adhere to the list of dos and don'ts and they believe that by doing that perfectly, they will eventually become the CEO. And, as in this particular case, to schmooze with the right people.

Paul was a Jew and his audience kept the Sabbath. They met in the Temple. He is not saying they don't have to keep the Law of God. He is saying that doing everything as the Pharisees did, to even tithe on the wild herbs that grew in their yard, but ignoring kindness, tenderness, compassion, because there wasn't an exact law dictated out, wasn't what God was looking for. The Law was made for man, man wasn't made to only fulfill the terms of the physical law. The laws of God were merely broad guidelines, that not only included what you did with your hands, but what you harbored in your mind. And while there are some, so entirely disciplined, that they could force themselves to never deviate from any physical rule, no human being can ever bring every thought under control, hence no man can tame their tongue or change their own heart.

So, we have to be justified by Christ, presenting his own blood before the Father on our behalf and seek out His help to incorporate his mind changing will into our lives. Here Paul is saying that those who God called to understanding, to be grafted into the family tree of Abraham, should not be shunned by those also called to the same understanding. They were believers of the resurrection of Christ, the same as the Gentiles also called into the same faith and they dredge up a rule to not associate with heathen during a meal. Paul is saying these men were called by God, exactly the same as their heathen brethren were, where the Spirit of God descended on them as well, as Peter, Himself, had pointed out, those whom God had called "clean" should not be called unclean by men.
Aetixintro wrote:
I suppose it would depend on what your takeaway is. I think, by and large, most folks walk away because they never got it in the first place. They saw the faults and things they found distasteful, and they saw that they did not understand and decided it made no sense. They took their marbles and went home. The solution comes in the Kingdom of God, where all mankind will be given a better perspective. God let Adam and Eve choose to obey, or not. They hadn't been around long. They didn't grasp the significance of what they were doing. (without vision, the people perish) But from that moment, a plan was enacted to save mankind and to eventually open your graves,... and cause you to come up out of your graves, And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live... Neither shall they defile themselves any more with their idols, nor with their detestable things, nor with any of their transgressions: but I will save them out of all their dwelling places, wherein they have sinned, and will cleanse them: so shall they be my people, and I will be their God...And the heathen shall know that I the LORD do sanctify Israel, when my sanctuary shall be in the midst of them for evermore....And many nations shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, and to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for the law shall go forth of Zion, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.

Eventually, everyone will be given this opportunity to know God, in better settings.

Soj