The Creator's Remorse: A Mystery

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

WebersHome
Guru

The Creator's Remorse: A Mystery

Post #1

Post by WebersHome »

Gen 6:5 . . And the Lord saw that the evil of man was great in the earth, and every imagination of his heart was only evil all the time.

Man's descent into depravity didn't catch his creator by surprise. After all; not only can God see the future but He can also manipulate it; so He was well aware even before beginning that the people He was about to create were destined from day one for a global deluge.

Also, when God inspected His handiwork at Gen 1:31, He evaluated it not just good, but "very" good. So as far as He was concerned; everything went smoothly and according to plan-- nothing was broken, no parts were missing, and nothing failed to mate with its matching part.

Gen 6:6 . . And the Lord regretted that He had made man upon the earth, and He became grieved in His heart.

When God created the people of man, it was no doubt with the awareness that the day would come when He would have to put a number of them down like dogs gone mad with rabies.

If it can be safely assumed that God saw man's depravity coming well in advance-- prior to creating even one of the many forces, energies, and particles that would go into the construction of the cosmos --then we have to wonder why it is that He felt remorse for going ahead as planned. Surely it wasn't because He made a terrible mistake. I seriously doubt that a master architect with the creator's intelligence would fail to foresee every possible ramification of their actions.

Well; it's at least comforting to know the destruction of life is not something God enjoys as if He were an outdoor guy who kills fish and wildlife for sport with no more sensitivity than a kid blasting aliens in a video game. Man's creator knew the day was coming when He would have to do what He was about to do next, and clearly wasn't looking forward to it, but nevertheless; leaves us with unavoidable questions about His sanity because from a rational perspective, God's procedures make no sense at all.

Anyway, aside from all that; it appears to me that God had high expectations for the people of man, and was very disappointed that numbers of them went bad; sort of like how parents feel when a kid, whom they've given every privilege, every opportunity, and every advantage imaginable, lets it all go overboard and somehow ends up incorrigible and a total failure instead.

Gen 6:7 . . And the Lord said: I will blot out man, whom I created, from upon the face of the earth, from man to cattle to creeping thing, to the fowl of the heavens, for I regret that I made them.
_

WebersHome
Guru

Re: The Creator's Remorse: A Mystery

Post #11

Post by WebersHome »

Miles wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:54 pmIn main then, god is admitting he made a mistake---If we are of sound mind we don't regret (feel sorrow or remorse) for doing the right thing.

Taking it for granted-- for the sake of argument --that the creator has the power of precognition; it would mean He saw in advance that the day would come when the humans He created would become so degenerate that He'd have to exterminate practically the whole lot of them in a deluge.

If that was the actual case, then the creator's "mistake" wasn't an unforeseen error that took Him by surprise, rather, it was an intentional glitch deliberately factored into the creation of human life as we know it; which suggests to me that what appears to our "sound minds" as a mistake, somehow serves an important purpose in the divine scheme of things.

I don't think God ever wished He had done things differently. I suspect He has often wished there had been some other way to go about the creation of human life in accord with the grand scheme He had in mind for the current cosmos. It's like when Christ was pondering the cross: he was wishing there was some way to avoid it; but of course there wasn't: Jesus was stuck.
_

Miles
Savant

Post #12

Post by Miles »

WebersHome wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:53 am .
Miles wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:54 pmIn main then, god is admitting he made a mistake---If we are of sound mind we don't regret (feel sorrow or remorse) for doing the right thing.

Taking it for granted-- for the sake of argument --that the creator has the power of precognition; it would mean He saw in advance that the day would come when the humans He created would become so degenerate that He'd have to exterminate practically the whole lot of them in a deluge.

From the common description of god, that he's omniscient, he would have the power of precognition.

Characteristics of God

Omnipotence
Omnibenevolence
Omniscience
Omnipresence

Meanings

All powerful
All loving
All knowing
Everywhere
source

And, if he "saw in advance that the day would come when the humans He created would become so degenerate that He'd have to exterminate practically the whole lot of them in a deluge" he would also have seen how fruitless his solution would be.

WebersHome wrote: If that was the actual case, then the creator's "mistake" wasn't an unforeseen error that took Him by surprise, rather, it was an intentional glitch deliberately factored into the creation of human life as we know it; which suggests to me that what appears to our "sound minds" as a mistake, somehow serves an important purpose in the divine scheme of things.

Then why would he regret it? He wouldn't. Furthermore, an intentional glitch is a contradiction in terms, so I haven't a clue as to what you're talking about.

WebersHome wrote: I don't think God ever wished He had done things differently.

Then why would he repent for something he did?

1 Samuel 15:35
And Samuel came no more to see Saul until the day of his death. Nevertheless Samuel mourned for Saul; and the Lord repented that He had made Saul king over Israel.

WebersHome
Guru

Post #13

Post by WebersHome »

Miles wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:58 pmThen why would he repent for something he did?

1 Samuel 15:35 . . The Lord repented that He had made Saul king over Israel.

The information you seek is located back in post No.9
_

Miles
Savant

Post #14

Post by Miles »

WebersHome wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:20 pm
Miles wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:58 pmThen why would he repent for something he did?

1 Samuel 15:35 . . The Lord repented that He had made Saul king over Israel.

The information you seek is located back in post No.9
_

And my reply to your post 9, which points out its failing, is in post 10.

WebersHome
Guru

Post #15

Post by WebersHome »

FAQ: Is it safe to assume that God's ways are always right even when they sometimes appear totally wrong?

A: Yes; and here's why:

When Adam tasted the forbidden fruit, he and his wife obtained an intuitive sense of right and wrong (Gen 3:22). Unfortunately, the sense they obtained was unreliable due to the fact that it was a product of the Serpent's handiwork instead of their divine benefactor's.

The Serpent-- a.k.a. the Devil/Satan (Rev 12:9) --has the power of death (Heb 2:14) and the ability to tamper with the human body and the human mind in ways not easily detected; e.g. Luke 13:16, Mark 5:1-5, and Eph 2:2.

That explains why God is commonly perceived making mistakes and/or acting like a demented fiend; and also why, try as it might, the human mind cannot make sense of some of the things God does.
_

WebersHome
Guru

Post #16

Post by WebersHome »

WebersHome wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:53 am He saw in advance that the day would come when the humans He created would become so degenerate that He'd have to exterminate practically the whole lot of them in a deluge.
I wouldn't put it past God to do something like that again. For example Rev 16:18-19 predicts a world-wide earthquake preceding Christ's return so severe on the Richter scale that cities all over the world will collapse at once.

Something like 2,829 lost their lives when the World Trade Center was demolished by a terrorist attack in 2001. Well that was only a few acres of New York City. Just imagine the body count when all of Manhattan comes down at once. along with other major cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco, Mexico City, Paris, Moscow, Beijing, Tokyo, et al. The carnage will be beyond belief.
_