Can't find Verse explaining why people can't believe healing until they see for themselves

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

emilynghiem
Student

Can't find Verse explaining why people can't believe healing until they see for themselves

Post #1

Post by emilynghiem »

I remember a Verse explaining that people won't be able to believe healing
until they see or experience it for themselves. This is very vague and paraphrased!

Does anyone recognize the reference and Scripture?
Thank you very much.

There is a Bible verse that states what happens in real life.
That all the people I know that believe in spiritual healing only
understood after experiencing or witnessing/seeing proof directly.

but the Bible says this is going to happen. Where is that?

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: Can't find Verse explaining why people can't believe healing until they see for themselves

Post #2

Post by Difflugia »

emilynghiem wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:03 amI remember a Verse explaining that people won't be able to believe healing
until they see or experience it for themselves. This is very vague and paraphrased!

Does anyone recognize the reference and Scripture?
John 4:48, maybe?

John 4:46-50 (ESV):
So he came again to Cana in Galilee, where he had made the water wine. And at Capernaum there was an official whose son was ill. When this man heard that Jesus had come from Judea to Galilee, he went to him and asked him to come down and heal his son, for he was at the point of death. So Jesus said to him, “Unless you see signs and wonders you will not believe.” The official said to him, “Sir, come down before my child dies.” Jesus said to him, “Go; your son will live.” The man believed the word that Jesus spoke to him and went on his way.

emilynghiem
Student

Re: Can't find Verse explaining why people can't believe healing until they see for themselves

Post #3

Post by emilynghiem »

Hi @Difflugia thanks for your reply and sorry for the poor description, which is why I cannot find it.
The verses you post, and most of the ones that come up in searches are general statements
about rejecting the Gospel. Those are more external about whole groups of people.

The one(s) I read were about the INTERNAL process.

At this point I think I have blended TWO different verses
and that's why I can't find it. It may be two separate ideas that I combined as one.
================
I found a verse in Job 32:8 that talked about God breathing
the spirit of truth in people to give them understanding.

New International Version
But it is the spirit in a person, the breath of the Almighty, that gives them understanding.

English Standard Version
But it is the spirit in man, the breath of the Almighty, that makes him understand.

King James Bible
But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.
======================

But the one I'm looking for was even more about people
UNABLE to receive or understand healing or the Holy Spirit?
except seeing physical proof or something that made me read it that way.

It wasn't about UNWILLINGNESS but INABILITY
The way I read it was the mind didn't work that way,
and the spiritual process would involve seeing proof

Now I think it is two different scriptures, because the one I found
only has the part about receiving in the spirit first before gaining the understanding

I'm still looking for the other and will probably have to read through the whole Bible
to find it since I paraphrased it so liberally

Thank you very much!