Appendages to 2 Timothy 4:22; Titus 3:15; Romans 16:27 - Any Documentation?

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

isaachunter
Student

Appendages to 2 Timothy 4:22; Titus 3:15; Romans 16:27 - Any Documentation?

Post #1

Post by isaachunter »

I stumbled onto these three verses today when looking into a question proposed on a training video for Logos software. There are additions in each of these verses that do not show up in the KJV, NKJV or any of the critical text versions, but are present in the TR (1550) and the Geneva Bible. Here are the additions:
Titus 3:15 - Added after the Amen - "To Titus, elect the first bishope of the Church of the Cretians, writen from Nicopolis in Macedonia" (GB).
Romans 16:27 - Added after the Amen - "Written to the Romaines from Corinthus and sent by Phebe, servant of the Church, which is at Cenchrea" (GB).
2 Timothy 4:22 - Added after the Amen - "The seconde Epistle writen from Rome unto Timotheus the first bishope elected, of the Church of Ephesus, when Paul was presented the seconde time before the Emperour Nero" (GB).
I cannot find any documentation on these additions (or subsequent subtractions starting with the KJV going forward). The video addressed the issue of someone who ran a search for the lemma Greek word Ekklesia in their modern English Interlinear and then in the (I would assume) the TR and found the total numbers were off. The presenter on the video assumed the original questioner was confused about the difference between the lemma and the manuscript word, but I think they were actually referring to this issue. It ends up in the TR bringing back 3 additional instances of Ekklesia.

I'm really looking for any documentation (commentary, theology book, website, etc) that discusses these "additions." Such as: when they believe they were added (or subtracted). Why. And what evidence they have to support their claims. I would love to get my hands on an in-depth discussion of the issue in general.

I'm not interested in a rehash of the TR vs CT debate. I'm just trying to get documentation on how these three instances appear in the TR, in the Geneva Bible, and yet were (for some reason) left out of the KJV, NKJV and all other Bibles going forward (as far as I can tell).

Any ideas where to look?

IH

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: Appendages to 2 Timothy 4:22; Titus 3:15; Romans 16:27 - Any Documentation?

Post #2

Post by Difflugia »

isaachunter wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:34 pmAny ideas where to look?
Fitzmyer's Anchor Bible volume on Romans has the following superficial discussion of 16:27:
In the best MSS (א, A, B*, C, D*) the subscription is merely pros Rhōmaious, "To the Romans," but in a number of MSS it is recorded more fully: pros Rhōmaious egraphē apo Korinthou, "It was written to the Romans from Corinth" (B 1, D2, P). MS L adds tou hagiou Paulou, "of Saint Paul." The Koinē text tradition reads tou hagiou Paulou epistolē pros Romaious egraphē dia Phoibēs tēs diakonou tēs en Kenchreiais ekklēsias, "The letter of Saint Paul to the Romans was written through Phoebe the deacon of the church in Cenchreae." The meaning, however, must be "was sent" through Phoebe, unless one prefers to regard this subscription as a contradiction of 16:22. But MS 337 finally gets it straight: egraphē hē pros Rhōmaious epistolē dia Tertiou. epemphthē de dia Phoibēn apo Korinthiōn, "The letter to the Romans was written through Tertius; it was sent from Corinth through Phoebe."
Edit: Coincidentally, the Anchor Bible volume on Romans is on sale this month at Logos, along with James, Song of Songs, Revelation, and Ezekiel 38-48. Ephesians 1-3 is free.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

isaachunter
Student

Re: Appendages to 2 Timothy 4:22; Titus 3:15; Romans 16:27 - Any Documentation?

Post #3

Post by isaachunter »

[Replying to Difflugia in post #2]

Thanks very much for the information and also for the tip on the Anchor Commentary. ;-)