Isaiah 45:7 - God creates evil?

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Isaiah 45:7 - God creates evil?

Post #1

Post by Aetixintro »

Isaiah 45:7 wrote: I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
The Bible does not promote evil and certainly not as way of life. This is most clear, I think. Therefore, I'm inclined to think that evil here is meant in such a way that "you people who have done so much wrong do not any longer deserve my protection and you're given the Devil and evil"!

So, "God creates evil" equals "God revokes protection" because of all the wrongdoing we may have done. No?

Note on the 2 primordial forces of good and evil by God and Satan/Mammon! I can't find anywhere in the Bible that suggests otherwise of the 2 forces.
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Miles
Savant

Re: Isaiah 45:7 - God creates evil?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Aetixintro wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:03 pm
Isaiah 45:7 wrote: I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
The Bible does not promote evil and certainly not as way of life. This is most clear, I think.
Considering the definition of "evil" in the context of Biblical usage:

e·vil
/ˈēvəl/
adjective: evil
profoundly immoral and wicked.

source: Oxford languages

EVIL

\ ˈē-vəl
, British often and US sometimes ˈē-(ˌ)vil \
eviler or eviller; evilest or evillest
Definition of evil
morally reprehensible : sinful, wicked

source: Merriam-Webster

evil
noun [ C/U ]
us
/ˈi·vəl/
the condition of being immoral, cruel, or bad, or an act of this type:

source: Cambridge Dictionary

evil
in American English
(ˈivəl )
adjective
a. morally bad or wrong; wicked; depraved

source: Collins Dictionary

Evil

Having or exhibiting bad moral qualities; morally corrupt; wicked; wrong; vicious; as, evil conduct, thoughts, heart, words, and the like.

source: Webster's 1913 Dictionary

this isn't clear at all.

And considering that evil, as shown above, is regarded as:

immoral
wicked
bad moral qualities
morally reprehensible
morally corrupt
morally bad
sinful
cruel
bad
wrong
vicious
depraved

you have your pick. So all one has to ask is if any such behavior is promoted in the Bible as an act or a way of life. And the answer is, Yes it is.

Slavery is commonly considered to be at least bad, wrong, cruel, immoral, and perhaps even sinful, hence EVIL, yet god promotes it as a way of life.

Leviticus 25:44-46
As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you. You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their clans that are with you, who have been born in your land, and they may be your property. You may bequeath them to your sons after you to inherit as a possession forever. You may make slaves of them, but over your brothers the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another ruthlessly.

Exodus 21:20-21

“When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

Then there's the treatment of practicing homosexual males, who god says deserve death.

Leviticus 20:13
If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

Most would consider such an act to be cruel, vicious, bad, wrong, to say nothing of immoral, morally bad, morally corrupt, and morally reprehensible

As is condoning rape

Numbers 31:13-18
13 Then they returned to their own camp in the hills of Moab across the Jordan River from Jericho, where Moses, Eleazar, and the other Israelite leaders met the troops outside camp. 14 Moses became angry with the army commanders 15 and said, “I can’t believe you let the women live! 16 They are the ones who followed Balaam’s advice and invited our people to worship the god Baal Peor. That’s why the Lord punished us by killing so many of our people. 17 You must put to death every boy and all the women who have ever had sex. 18 But do not kill the young women who have never had sex. You may keep them for yourselves.”

And if anyone thinks that keeping young women who never had sex for oneself means keeping them to clean your pots and pans, WAKE UP!

Therefore, I'm inclined to think that evil here is meant in such a way that "you people who have done so much wrong do not any longer deserve my protection and you're given the Devil and evil"!
OMG! Please try again. This is terrible apologetics.

So, "God creates evil" equals "God revokes protection" because of all the wrongdoing we may have done. No?
NO!

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to Miles in post #2]

You seem to forget the part Satan is playing. There are nicer excerpts from the Bible than those you have above, why not quote them?

Either way, thanks for reply! :approve:
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Aetixintro wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:15 am [Replying to Miles in post #2]

You seem to forget the part Satan is playing.
The three examples I cited are god's doing, so unless Satan has power over god why should he matter?

There are nicer excerpts from the Bible than those you have above, why not quote them?
Because the subject of your thread is evil, which is hardly nice. If your subject was goodness I'd probably quote nice excerpts. Image

Your contention is "The Bible does not promote evil and certainly not as way of life," and my post was simply to show that this is not true; the Bible does indeed promote evil and certainly as way of life.