To discuss Islam topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Murad
Guru

The Prophet of Islam

Post #1

Post by Murad »

Who is Muhammad?

Muhammad (Arabic, “praised�) was born in 570 c.e. 14 in Mecca, a prosperous city that was a center of caravan trade and religious pilgrimage in the northwest Arabian peninsula. Orphaned in early childhood, he lived a life of poverty as a youth, working as a herdsman for his family and neighbors.
Muhammad gained a reputation in the community as a trusted arbiter and peacemaker as indicated in the following account:
“At one time the Quraish [Muhammad’s tribe] decided to rebuild the Ka’ba [sacred shrine], to reset the stones above the foundations. In one of the corners they wanted to put the black stone, but could not decide who should have the honour of placing it there. They would have quarrelled violently if [Muhammad] the young man they all admired and trusted had not come by. They asked [him] … to settle the dispute. He told them to spread a large cloak and place the black stone in the middle. They did so. Then, he asked a man from each of the four clans who were in dispute to take hold of a corner of the cloak. In this way they all shared the honour of carrying the stone.�
At the age of 25, Muhammad married a widow, Khadija, who was 15 years his senior and a prosperous caravan merchant. She knew of his reputation for honesty and hard work, and she made the proposal of marriage that turned out to be a successful and happy one, producing four daughters and two sons. For the next 15 years Muhammad was engaged with Khadija in running the family business and raising their family. It was during this period also that he retreated often into the solitude of the desert to pray, meditate, and worship. He had become dissatisfied with the corruption, idolatry, and social inequities that plagued Mecca; he sought for a higher truth that would provide peace, justice, and spiritual fulfillment for him and his people.

In 610 c.e., when he was 40, his spiritual seeking and preparation reached a culmination. One night while Muhammad was engaged in prayer and meditation on Mount Hira near Mecca, the angel Gabriel appeared to him to deliver a message from God (Arabic, Allah). Three times the angel commanded that Muhammad “Recite! In the name of thy Lord who created, created man of a blood-clot. Recite! And thy Lord is the Most Generous, who taught by the pen—Taught man that he knew not� (Qur’an 96:1–5).

For a period of 22 years, from 610 c.e. to his death in 632, Muhammad received revelations from God, through angel Gabriel, he memorized the revelations he recieved and he orally recited to his disciples. These oral recitations of Allah’s apostle are collectively referred to as al-Qur’an (“recitation�) by Muslims. However, Muhammad’s preaching against idolatry, polytheism, female infanticide, and other religious and social corruptions met fierce opposition in Mecca. His message was rejected in this early period in Mecca, and he and his fledgling community of converts, mostly a few family members and close friends, were shunned, persecuted, and even tortured.

Then a group of men came from the town Yathrib and asked Muhammad to act as an arbiter in the squabbles which were ruining their town. Muhammad saw an opportunity to alleviate the suffering of his followers and agreed to leave Mecca. First he sent his followers, and then he himself went to the town, which would thereafter be known as Madinat an-Nabi (“City of the Prophet�), or simply Medina. This emigration (Arabic, hijra), from Mecca to Medina, took place in 622 c.e., the year commemorated as the starting point of the Muslim Hijri calendar. Muslims saw in the Hijra a fundamental turning point in the life of the prophet and in the nature of the Muslim community. From being a rejected preacher, Muhammad became a statesman, legislator, judge, educator, and military leader.

In Medina, the Muslims had freedom to establish themselves securely, develop their institutions for governance and education, and become a prosperous community, in contrast to their status in Mecca as a persecuted, marginal religious minority.

A few years after the Hijra, Muhammad was able to return to the city of Mecca, where his teachings were gradually adopted. Today Mecca is considered by Muslims to be the spiritual center of Islam and the holiest of cities, with Medina as the second and Jerusalem the third holiest cities.

In 632, at the age of 62, Muhammad died unexpectedly after a short fever.
During the last half of the 20th century, however, non-Muslim historians have become more objective and complimentary, acknowledging that Muhammad’s achievements in both political and religious realms assure him a place as one of the most influential figures in history.

Contrary to Western civilization’s stereotype of Muhammad as a false prophet or enemy of Christians, Muslim sources portray a man of unfailing humility, kindness, good humor, generosity, and simple tastes. Though he smiled often, it is said he seldom laughed because, as one famous hadith (report of Muhammad’s sayings or actions) states, “If you knew what I know you would cry much and laugh little.� His gentle humor is evident in the following story:
“One day a little old woman came to him to ask whether old wretched women would also go to Paradise. ‘No,’ he answered, ‘there are no old women in Paradise!’ Then, looking at her grieved face, he said with a smile: ‘They will all be transformed in Paradise, for there, there is only one youthful age for all!’ �
He dispensed wise and practical advice to followers. When a man asked if he needed to tie his camel up, since he already trusted in God’s help and protection, Muhammad replied: “First tether it, and then trust in God.� Some reports indicate that Muhammad’s family were poor and often hungry, only able to afford coarse bread at times. His statement, faqri fakhri, “My poverty is my pride,� reveals his joy in simple pleasures, and this saying was later adopted as a slogan by Muslim ascetics. He was especially fond of children, allowing his two young grandsons to climb on his back while he was performing prayers. A man once criticized him for kissing his grandson Hasan, saying, “I have 10 boys but have never kissed any of them.� Muhammad answered, “He who does not show mercy will not receive mercy.�

In his last speech in the mosque in Medina, given on the day he died, Muhammad displayed humility and magnanimity in bidding farewell to his community after more than 30 years of sacrifice on their behalf: “If there is any man whose honour I might have injured, here I am to answer for it. If I have unjustifiably inflicted bodily harm on anyone, I present myself for retribution. If I owe anything to anyone, here is my property and he may help himself to it. … Nobody should say: ‘I fear enmity and rancor of the Messenger of God.’ I nurse no grudge towards anyone. These things are repugnant to my nature and temperament. I abhor them so.�

With this view of Muhammad in mind, we can understand why Muslims commonly bless his name when it is mentioned in speech or writing, invoke his name in conversations, and celebrate his birthday. Pious Muslims strive to emulate his example in every aspect of life: mode of dress, style of grooming, table manners, religious rituals, and benevolence toward others.
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

(Quran 29:2-3)

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

Woland
Sage

Post #2

Post by Woland »

I would like to add to the description of Muhammad that he revealed himself, once he was in power, to be a particularly violent, cruel and intolerant man, who ordered that people who left Islam be killed, who genocided entire tribes, who ordered that cruel torture which goes on to this day be performed (amputation, stoning, flogging, torture with fire, etc.) on innumerable human beings, who enslaved countless women and children after murdering their husbands and friends, who assassinated his opponents, and who married countless women including a child when he was a very, very old man bound to die shortly thereafter.

His ideals are absolutely incompatible (by virtue of them being immutable since "divinely dictated") with modern human rights and humanist concepts of equality for all regardless of gender, religion or sexual orientation.

Many (if not most) "modern" mainstream forms of Islam are, in accordance with Muhammad's ideology, violently oppressive of critics of Islam, apostates, homosexuals, non-Muslims in general and more. They stifle freedom of speech and religion, prevent women from having the same rights as men, and require that impossibly cruel torture be performed on human beings.

-Woland

EduChris
Prodigy

Re: The Prophet of Islam

Post #3

Post by EduChris »

Murad wrote:Who is Muhammad?...
This is a cut-and-paste from this link

EduChris
Prodigy

Re: The Prophet of Islam

Post #4

Post by EduChris »

EduChris wrote:
Murad wrote:Who is Muhammad?...
This is a cut-and-paste from this link
Murad doesn't follow his own advice.

Pazuzu bin Hanbi
Sage

Post #5

Post by Pazuzu bin Hanbi »

Oh I’m certain he ‘change[d] the words around’ a bit! :lol:

This is exactly what I used to hate about my erstwhile religion. No–one seemed to be able to express things in their own words. Like the ritual of salah prayer, it was as if the identity of muslims in Isl�m as a whole replaced the person’s individual identity. Hence why an attack on the religion is taken so personally by huge numbers of muslims worldwide.
لا إلـــــــــــــــــــــــــــه