To discuss Islam topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Lux
Site Supporter

Jihad

Post #1

Post by Lux »

Hi everyone!

For a while now I've seen people use "jihadists" as interchangeable with extremists or even terrorists, not only in this forum, but also in real life (and even the media).
However, it was my understanding that the word Jihad can be interpreted in many different ways and it doesn't relate to extremism at all. I'm curious about the real meaning. What is Jihad? Does it vary from one denomination and/or person to another?
[center]Image

© Divine Insight (Thanks!)[/center]

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.

Darias
Guru

Post #2

Post by Darias »

In the most traditional sense, Jihad means "struggle."

I liken the term to the Christian's spiritual struggle against spiritual evils, putting on the armor of God - etc.

Jihad does not mean holy war.

The Arabic word for war and conflict is Harb.

Jihad has been interpreted by modern extremists as "holy war" as in a literal holy fight to expel infidels from Muslim lands.

Holy war is only thought to be holy or justified if it is a war of self-defense.

And in the mind of radicals, the war against the West is just that.

Yes, radicals wish to conquer the world under the banner of their extreme concept of Sharia Law, but that doesn't make them see themselves as the aggressors in their mind.

No one sees themselves as the enemy in their own mind.

Trust me, it takes a lot of justification and brain washing to be willing to strap a bomb to yourself and kill others -- and think that this is martyrdom, when in fact it is suicide and murder (both of which are forbidden in the Qur'an).

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Jihad

Post #3

Post by Goat »

Lucia wrote:Hi everyone!

For a while now I've seen people use "jihadists" as interchangeable with extremists or even terrorists, not only in this forum, but also in real life (and even the media).
However, it was my understanding that the word Jihad can be interpreted in many different ways and it doesn't relate to extremism at all. I'm curious about the real meaning. What is Jihad? Does it vary from one denomination and/or person to another?
One meaning I have seen is that at least some moderate groups consider Jihad with the inner struggle of oneself with God.. to do right. A more common claim that I have seen has Jihad being self defense.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Murad
Guru

Post #4

Post by Murad »

Rhonan wrote:In the most traditional sense, Jihad means "struggle."

I liken the term to the Christian's spiritual struggle against spiritual evils, putting on the armor of God - etc.

Jihad does not mean holy war.

The Arabic word for war and conflict is Harb.

Jihad has been interpreted by modern extremists as "holy war" as in a literal holy fight to expel infidels from Muslim lands.

Holy war is only thought to be holy or justified if it is a war of self-defense.

And in the mind of radicals, the war against the West is just that.

Yes, radicals wish to conquer the world under the banner of their extreme concept of Sharia Law, but that doesn't make them see themselves as the aggressors in their mind.

No one sees themselves as the enemy in their own mind.

Trust me, it takes a lot of justification and brain washing to be willing to strap a bomb to yourself and kill others -- and think that this is martyrdom, when in fact it is suicide and murder (both of which are forbidden in the Qur'an).
Wow you deserve all my tokens as a donation.
Glad to see there are unbiased Christians on this forum when it comes to Islam.

Jihad is a beautiful yet greatly misunderstood Islamic Concept. The Arabic word "Jihad" is derived from the root word "Jahada" which means "to strive - to struggle, to strain, to exert, to endeavor, to persevere and to defend"

Contrary to popular opinion, Jihad is not a means of forcing Islam on others. It should never be viewed as an expansionist, proselytizing movement. However, historically, and even in today's times, some Muslims have taken it as such. This distortion of the virtuous concept of Jihad is in total contradictions to authentic Islamic teachings.

Jihad is the noble effort of improving oneself, one's family and community, one's nation and the world at large. Jihad is the struggle that a mother undergoes during pregnancy, child-birth, and the raising of her child; it is the years of hard work that a student puts towards a good education; its the sacrifice that a firefighter makes when risking his own life to save another; and it is the courage that a soldier has on the battlefield in the defense of his life, his country, his freedom and beliefs.
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

(Quran 29:2-3)

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Lux »

Thank you all for your input. It would seem that muslims who use Jihad as a banner for extremism are wrong, and so is everyone who uses "jihadist" as a synonym for terrorist. That's what I figured, but I wanted to know what Jihad actually meant (in part so I could contradict them, but mostly out of personal interest).
Murad wrote:Glad to see there are unbiased Christians on this forum when it comes to Islam.
By participating in the "Should an islamic mosque be built at Ground Zero?" thread, I learned that there are many christians on this forum who are unbiased when it comes to Islam. Rhonan is certainly one of them.
[center]Image

© Divine Insight (Thanks!)[/center]

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.