Rejecting Catholicism???

A place to discuss Catholic topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

WinePusher

Rejecting Catholicism???

Post #1

Post by WinePusher »

I notice there is a pretty large amount of people who belong to the "Rejected Catholicism" usergroup?

1) Would you please list your reasons as to why you rejected catholicism? If you don't want to, that's fine.

Wootah
Savant

Post #71

Post by Wootah »

Burninglight wrote: [Replying to Zzyzx]You are pretty sure of yourself there. You strike me as a candidate for Islam. I won't let lying nuns and priest keep me from the Prince of Peace, King of Kings and Lord of lords
Moderator Comment

Please do not insult others and keep preaching out of the forum.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #72

Post by Zzyzx »

Burninglight wrote: [Replying to Zzyzx]
You are pretty sure of yourself there.
I trust my conclusions until or unless more accurate information becomes available. If someone can SHOW me that information from the bible is superior to information from other sources, I am open to changing my thinking. Care to give that a try?
Burninglight wrote: You strike me as a candidate for Islam.
Resorting to personal comments suggests inability to present credible debate.
Burninglight wrote: I won't let lying nuns and priest keep me from the Prince of Peace, King of Kings and Lord of lords
If (since) religious "authorities" can be shown to be presenting at least some incorrect or false information, where does one acquire accurate information about those princes and kings? If the bible is cited as the source, what assurance is there that bible writers (purporting to be authoritative) were truthful and accurate?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Korah
Under Suspension

Re: Rejecting Catholicism???

Post #73

Post by Korah »

[Replying to post 1 by WinePusher]
I intellectually accepted the Church and was baptized Holy Saturday 1969, though a rather hybrid eugenicist/Catholic. By 1970 I was deeply in, however, a crusty Traditionalist until 1977. That's when I got baptized in the Spirit and was much more deeply in. Never expected to leave.
Didn't expect to get divorced, either, but my first wife kicked me out in 1990. But I was still so deeply "spiritual" that I accepted God's (?) instruction to marry another woman in 1991. Kept attending mass without receiving Communion.
So you'll be suspicious that in 1992 I started finding all kinds of reason to disbelieve both Roman Catholicism and my Charismatic Renewal fervency. I was of course (in the Renewal) a fervent Bible reader, but now Judges 20 could not be really from God in deceiving the Israelites to fight Benjamin and (at first) lose. Indeed it turns out that all of Judges 17 to 21 is retrograde old stuff that even the Deuteronomist could not stomach. But later editors put it back in. So ironically what destroyed Roman Catholicism for me was that the Council of Trent had acceded to Protestant demands that it canonize the Bible's plenary inspiration. RC was too Protestant for me.
This was 1992, so of course the Pedophile Scandal was also decisive. Suddenly I knew that Holy Orders was not a sacrament (or was useless if so). That I have Celiac Disease and cannot eat wheat did not help either--God could not even give me a "dispensation" to eat even just a little wafer without distress and depression?
Not long afterwards I discovered that those angelic opera singer eunuchs had become castrati primarily and most long-lastingly at papal behest. Now "il papa" began to grate on me. Call the Pope Holy Father if you want, but THE father is blasphemous ascription of divinity. Mt. 23:9 has to mean SOMETHING, and though I could accept (and still do) Catholic theology to call priests "father", here was what it did NOT mean. ("Call no man on Earth father, you have one God in Heaven."
I had bought into silly birth control dictates for two decades with the understanding that they were perfectionist spirituality, but now it became undeniable that this was mandating poverty and suffering.
Next came awareness (I have an M. A. in History) that Pope Pius XII in earlier devilish curial incarnations gave us centralization and as big a role as anyone in giving us both World War I and II. (While no Nazi he was key to disabling the German Catholic Center that should have forestalled Hitler.)
Pope Pius IX in 1854 with "infallible" declaration of Mary's Immaculate Conception also declared anathemas.
Pope Innocent III was the worst offender in instituting the Inquisition.
Boniface VIII Unam Sanctum awful, awful, awful 1304.
More later. (If there is any "Later", as I see that half the people who posted in this thread have been banned or are under probation.)

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #74

Post by Zzyzx »

[Replying to post 71 by Korah]

Thank you for your contribution with detailed description that should be of interest to readers.

My rejection of Catholicism was much different – which I outlined post #65 (and noted responsibility for originating the Rejected Catholicism user-group)
Korah wrote: More later. (If there is any "Later", as I see that half the people who posted in this thread have been banned or are under probation.)
More accurately, three people who posted in this tread that has a total of 71 posts over five and a half years have been banned (Slopeshoulder, Braveheart and Zuckie) and no one is / was on Probation. Does that constitute "half?" Did I miss someone with my quick count?

It appears to me as though those who express most concern about being banned are people who frequently violate Forum Rules or "push the edge" with incivility, ranting / preaching, refusing to substantiate claims, and/or making blanket statements – in general refusing to debate honorably in accord with polices and practices to which they agreed upon joining.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Korah
Under Suspension

Post #75

Post by Korah »

[Replying to post 72 by Zzyzx]
I found this thread by tracking you here. I don't have a comment yet on your Post #65.
You're a hard man NOT find everywhere, even though you don't allow your posts to be searched for.
You're right, only three have been banned, and it's pretty obvious that seminary grad Slopeshoulder's contempt for fideist Braveheart did them both in right here in this thread. Zuckie came off as "yucky" in just four or five wods
However, "The Tongue" here 2012-2013 is "Under probation"
Thank you for your kind words.

Korah
Under Suspension

Post #76

Post by Korah »

[Replying to post 71 by Korah]
Well yes,
As I acknowledged in my Post #73, the various guys that got banned here deserved it.
Nevertheless....
Maybe I'd better wrap this up just in case....
There's really not much more to my list of disproofs of the Roman Catholic Church (all fitted into the front and back of the smallest size Post-It noteJ).
Remember Beziers in 1209? (Just thought someone here might be a reincarnation of one of the persecutors or victims.) That's when the papal legate instructed the troops storming the Albigensian stronghold hold there, "Kill them all! God will sort out the heretics from the innocent!" Sure, terrible things happened in history, but I'm supposed to believe a church whose head on Earth institutes the worst of all monstrocities? My Grandfather Woodward always warned me about how awful the Catholic Church was to the Albigensees, and I guess he knew his stuff, cause it wasn't until thirty years after I got my M. A. in History and converted to Roman Catholicism (both same year, 1969) that I found this out. Did I mention that the Pope Innocent III PROMOTED this Arnaud bastard to Archbishop afterwards?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_at_B%C3%A9ziers
It took me twenty years into Catholicism until I would admit how excessive are the Marian devoltions promoted by the cleargy among non-European ethnics.
I still believe in the Devil, so maybe I shouldn't mention this one as a horror, but it was proto-modern popes who pushed the Malleus Maleficarum, the manual for detecting and torturing witches etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malleus_Maleficarum
More recent decades I have not bothered adding to my list. Fortunately I have not lost my wallet so I could still expand for you the above.
Dale C. Adams

Korah
Under Suspension

Post #77

Post by Korah »

[Replying to post 74 by Korah]
Hopefully the lack of rejoinder(s) to my posts stems from general recognition that I have nothing against Christianity or even Catholicism as such. After all every Sunday I recite either the Nicene Creed, the Apostle's Creed, or the (more in-your-face Christian Satan-renouncing) Renewal of Baptismal Promises. Yes, I still consider myself a Catholic and yes, still sympathetic and open to Roman Catholicism. What are my other options--the Eastern Orthodox are so darn narrow and mumbo-jumbo mystical, the Oriental Orthodox implicitly renounce the Bible with their denial of Jesus Christ's humanity, and even the less intellectually repellant (Nestorian) Church of the East is personally intolerable to me as an Origenist because they lionize the arch-enemy of allegory, Theodore of Mopsuetia. (Maybe I can get a special dispensation to reject his literalism and remain true to Origen.)
I found my way first to the Episcopal Church whose 1979 Prayer Book has virtually the same four masses as RC does. Next in 2004 I went Lutheran in which I can stand on Luther's own Marianism zealously defending the Perpetual Virginity of Mary. I am most definitely NOT a restorationist, and even what headings Calvinism head in that direction did not result from any disparagement of Mary by John Calvin.

rbarton
Student

Post #78

Post by rbarton »

[Replying to post 1 by WinePusher]

Opinion this: The Catholic Church is the most misunderstood institution in the world. Most people know very little of it but seem to have such harsh opinions! How many critics have at least read the Catechism of the Catholic Church? Ever go to Mass? understand it? I mean, really understand it? What do you know about the Saints? read any books on them? How bout the Sacraments? can you even name all 7 ? Jesus speaking to his apostles, " If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first." John 15:18