Religious Life and Vocation Thread

A place to discuss Catholic topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Lemonboo
Student

Religious Life and Vocation Thread

Post #1

Post by Lemonboo »

Since this subforum can also just for general discussion and it seems sort of empty, it would be interesting if anyone wants to discuss religious life. This is a debate that always goes on in my heart so maybe someone out there is the same. Or not. At the very least I think most religious Catholics have at least THOUGHT about it.

1-Have you ever considered being Sister/Brother (or Nun/Monk for the more contemplative orders)? Why or why not?
2-If yes, what communities have you looked at?
3-What are your biggest fears about religious life?

1) For me, I am currently considering becoming a Sister, MAYBE a Nun. Catholic married life, I think, I have been disillusioned with growing up. I am dating, (lightly, trying to be chaste here hehe :P), but for some reason I can never see marriage in my future. I grew up as the big sister, I love kids...I think I have seen too many divorces from "Catholic" couples. And deep inside, I bristle when it comes to needing to obey a husband. I never met a guy I dated who I could see myself really trusting his leadership or whatever. I get really good grades, have research and volunteer experience, so perhaps I could live a single life as a doctor or as a researcher, help provide for my birth family. But that life seems so empty when compared to the richness of Religious life, the thought of which always just warms my heart so fully, to marry Christ instead (I know Monks have some problems with this kind of imagery, sorry), or at least to give my one beautiful and precious life over to the Church and serve God by serving others.

2) My current plan is to look at all the Religious communities in the state of Michigan. So far I am thinking perhaps I could be like the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary and help to uplift the poor, which is a mission I have always found very energizing. However, they are a bit older, their last boom was in the 40s/50s and so that means theres only a handful of Sisters in their thirties and twenties. Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist (Oprah nuns) are younger, and they do work in teaching which I suppose I have done as a volunteer and as a teaching assistant. On the other hand they have gained so much fame that its difficult to really get that feeling of a small community. At times I definitely can feel the appeal of the contemplative life though, and want to be something like perhaps a Poor Clare, or one of the contemplative Dominican Orders around me....do simple work and study God for the rest of my life.

Men are lucky because they can be Capuchin Friars (and Priests!). :P I volunteer with them, they have such an amazing mission. If I was a man I would already be a Capuchin Friar. I am also friends with a Carmelite Brother, which is another more contemplative calling, and he always has wisdom to share.

This is a debate that is always going on in my heart, and I think it is that way for most Catholics--how do you think God is calling you?

3) For me, I fear being lonely at times, especially as a younger sister. I also fear that one day my family might need me, and I cannot be there for them. I fear the judgement of some of my peers, as well as my employers. If I join a cloistered community, I may not be able to see my family/friends more than a handful of times before they die. I'm sometimes scared the Priest will break the vow of the Confessional and then tell my community about everything I ever did before I take my vows! :shock: Jk, but I definitely can't ask him to write me a character reference letter that is for sure, too embarrassing... :)
God of mercy, let us run
Where yon fount of sorrow flows;
Pondering sweetly, one by one,
Jesus'' wounds and Mary''s woes.

:love:

AquinasD
Guru

Post #2

Post by AquinasD »

1) Shortly after deciding to become Catholic, the question of vocation was seriously laid out before me. I had before given thought to several possible directions I might go with my life; ministry, teaching, or physics. Physics was something I'd thought about when I was younger and naïve, before I knew that science was my worst subject. That left ministry and teaching.

So I wrestled with the question of ordination to the priesthood for a while. In the end, though, I decided it just wasn't for me. I feel called to philosophy and rehabilitating Catholic thought in the contemporary world. I have also always wanted to raise children, so that figures in as well.

2) I always figured I'd be a Jesuit or a Dominican, the orders more situated for teaching and philosophizing. But I never gave it too much thought, simply because I didn't decide to become a brother or a priest, let alone religious. Though I did know I wouldn't want to become a Benedictine, because I just can't take any of them very seriously.

Sorry it isn't too detailed, but my life is just heading a different direction. I wish you all the best for discernment.

Lemonboo
Student

Post #3

Post by Lemonboo »

Its ok, I'm guessing the Catholic board just isn't that popular in general, I think we all go to Catholic Forums instead :P ...thanks for sharing though! Very interesting.

Yeah, kids (and sex) are the biggest thing I think when it comes to people deciding that religious life isn't for them. :P Married life as a Catholic can be pretty difficult though.

Why can't you take any Benedictines seriously? For some reason I always see negative comments about Benedictines... :?

How do you plan to "rehabilitate Catholic thought"?

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Goat »

Lemonboo wrote:Its ok, I'm guessing the Catholic board just isn't that popular in general, I think we all go to Catholic Forums instead :P ...thanks for sharing though! Very interesting.

Yeah, kids (and sex) are the biggest thing I think when it comes to people deciding that religious life isn't for them. :P Married life as a Catholic can be pretty difficult though.

Why can't you take any Benedictines seriously? For some reason I always see negative comments about Benedictines... :?

How do you plan to "rehabilitate Catholic thought"?
Why do you think Catholic married life is any more difficult than married life as a baptist, a hindu , a muslim or a jew?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Lemonboo
Student

Post #5

Post by Lemonboo »

Bans on all forms of BC aside from NFP is a cross to bear I think, otherwise devout Catholics stumble on it, and devout Catholics all admit it is difficult, some devout married couples end up choosing abstinence. Especially because in this day and age, having unwanted pregnancies, even with the intention of adoption, can itself be a large financial burden. There is an awful thread on Catholic Answers where there is a woman who has to go off of her psych medication every time in order to prevent damage to her child's health, but then she ends up in a very bad psychological state, yet she is not allowed to ever go on ABC to prevent a pregnancy. It seems like a very risky place to be in. I understand that it logically follows from the Church's other positions, that sex should be procreative/unitive and open to life, but of all the Church's doctrines I believe it is one of the most difficult to follow obediently. Just from what I have seen.

All the other religions you list allow for ABC (as far as I know).

AquinasD
Guru

Post #6

Post by AquinasD »

Goat wrote:Why do you think Catholic married life is any more difficult than married life as a baptist, a hindu , a muslim or a jew?
Catholic women are crazy.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Goat »

AquinasD wrote:
Goat wrote:Why do you think Catholic married life is any more difficult than married life as a baptist, a hindu , a muslim or a jew?
Catholic women are crazy.

Many women are. .. and not just Catholic ones. .. Of course, many men are too.

The only thing that Catholic women have over Jewish mothers is the type of guilt.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Lemonboo
Student

Post #8

Post by Lemonboo »

:no: :no: :no:

What is this in my vocation thread?

Men only say women are "crazy" because they are confused by women and want to assume the fault lies with women.

The truth is that women make men stupid, and that is why men get confused:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/bea ... men-stupid

The more confused you are by a woman, the more beautiful and feminine she is. Now go marry a Protestant or something! Geez.... :P

AquinasD
Guru

Post #9

Post by AquinasD »

Lemonboo wrote:Men only say women are "crazy" because they are confused by women and want to assume the fault lies with women.
Nah, it's okay. Men and women just speak different languages.

The reason it's hard to do a Catholic marriage is because it's hard to be Catholic. We're called to perfection. That's a bit tough, even when you're doing it single.