What do you guys think about the changes to the missal?

A place to discuss Catholic topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Logomachist
Student

What do you guys think about the changes to the missal?

Post #1

Post by Logomachist »

Changes in the mass:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/1 ... 31908.html

So what do you think?

WinePusher

Post #2

Post by WinePusher »

I could care less. Being active in the Church as a Lector and an Extraordinary Minister, they've forced me to attend workshops to 'orient' me to these changes and it's been a pain. It's generally what always happens when I'm forced to go to classes hosted by my Church or my Diocese; a know nothing stands up at the front and talks to the air for about an hour occassionally making failed attempts at jokes, luckily there's semi-decent food at all these events which I indulge myself in. I don't pay attention, so I'm not really up to date on these changes but they're supposedly minor...nothing I'm against.

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Re: What do you guys think about the changes to the missal?

Post #3

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

Logomachist wrote:Changes in the mass:

So what do you think?
Here is a more extensive review of the changes. The article points out that the changes are to have the English translation adhere more closely to the Latin in the Roman Missal. In 1969, rule changes…
…encouraged various translators to adapt the original Latin liturgical language in their countries to contemporary linguistic and cultural conditions.

The 1969 instruction encouraged dynamic equivalence translations over more formal or literal translations when the cultural situation might seem to call for it; the 2001 instruction gives high priority to more literal translations from the Latin even when they might not be readily understood by the local culture. It argues that the church’s liturgical language ought to inform culture, not be dependent on it.
It was not long before then (1965) that the Mass was first celebrated in English.

“I liked Mass better in Latin. It's nicer when you don't know what they're saying.�
- From While You Were Sleeping
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

forumwarrior
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by forumwarrior »

i dont like it. i dont like all the damn contemporary hallelujiah music these days either.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Slopeshoulder »

forumwarrior wrote:i dont like it. i dont like all the damn contemporary hallelujiah music these days either.
been goin' on for 40 years.
i like it.

mich
Sage

Post #6

Post by mich »

So what do you think?
My personal opinion is that the language is more precise, and so I agree with it. Now that we have easy communication with other faiths through the internet, a more focussed definition of our beliefs will need to be practiced.
For example,“consubstantial with the Father� would be more precise than "one in being with the Father". The same can be said for "incarnate of the Virgin Mary" as the "birth" as such is still veiled in mystery.

The acclamation "Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again" is being removed from the Mass entirely because it was never in the original Latin version

Some believe that the upper acclamation was first introduced in order to deviate the prior statement "this is profession of our faith" from the Eucharist for ecumenical purposes.

Andre

Enquirer
Student

Post #7

Post by Enquirer »

So what do you think?
As a bit of a traditionalist I find changes in general are better in translation and 'meaning' than the last format. Here in the UK [England and Wales] we are already several weeks into using the 'new form'; which I find tends to run closer to the old Latin. As an example - 'Et cum spiritu tuo' means 'And with your spirit, [also]' and not 'And also with you'.

Overall I find it an improvement.

jmac2112
Apprentice

Post #8

Post by jmac2112 »

I like it, at least the parts that I've seen. I've been teaching Latin for 15 years now, and I've been to plenty of Latin masses, including Tridentine masses.

I especially like the fact that "peace to God's people on earth" has been changed to "peace on earth to people of good will." The true translation makes clear what the criterion is for receiving the peace of Christ.

I also REALLY like the fact that we are no longer going to say "Let us proclaim the mystery of faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again." As someone else pointed out, this response is not in the Latin, and it strongly implies that the statement "Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again" IS the mystery of faith. Or is it one of the other optional responses that is "the mystery of faith"? It's not clear. In any case, it makes it sound like the central mystery of the Catholic faith is any one of a number of statements that every Protestant would agree with also. I'm all for true ecumenism, but this is just confusion.

In the Tridentine Mass, the words "mysterium fidei" are inserted as an interjection in the middle of the consecration of the chalice, making it very clear that what is going on right here and now on the altar is the mystery of faith, i.e. that Christ's unique sacrifice is being made present so that the effects of his sacrifice can touch each of us. The new Latin version of the Mass moved those words so that they come right after the consecration, thereby opening the door to misunderstanding. The translators then capitalized on this ambiguity to work their magic.