A place to discuss Catholic topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Composer
Banned
Banned

Official stance on who are sinners?

Post #1

Post by Composer »

Am I correct that the catholic members of the catholic church have priests to intercede / other role regarding the sins admitted at Confession by members of the catholic congregation?

Is confession considered compulsory?

Are the priests themselves also considered sinners and if so, to whom do they go for confession and I suppose have their personal sins ' forgiven / other? '.

1. Are there any exceptions where certain/any members or clergy are considered to be totally without sin and 2. therefore never need to confess or take part in confession and 3. IF that is the case upon what basis?

Thank you
Your alleged gods are very bad god persons, I am offering them the chance to become good god persons for the very first time, but only after they admit they are bad god persons and want to try again.

Composer
Banned
Banned

Post #31

Post by Composer »

Composer wrote:
1. Your posts and those of your predecessors have already proved my claim!

2. IF you are still in doubt, I also remind you that according to your Story book bible, it is encumbent upon those like you so called bible believers to do the proving of your claims to those like me -
jedicri wrote: May I remind you that you are posting in Catholicism, a place to discuss Catholic topics and issues where we Catholics need not prove anything to you, rather those who are not need to do so.
I remind you of your Story book jesus' commands to his wanna-be believers -

all things prove; . . . . (1 Thess. 5:21) YLT (Literal translation) Story book

And you are also still commanded to - . . . . And [be] ready always for defence to every one who is asking of you an account concerning the hope that [is] in you, with meekness and fear; . . . . (1 Pet. 3:15) YLT Story book

BTW: You are also commanded not to respond with evasive answers!

So please stop them immediately or face the wrath of your Story book jesus!

&

All things, therefore, whatever ye may will that men may be doing to you, so also do to them, for this is the law and the prophets. (Matt. 7:12) YLT Story book

So get going obeying your bible Story book and start proving ANY acclaimed holy-text ' is the words of ANY literal god(s) given to men?

Much much much much much better luck next times!

jedicri wrote: You came here posting a topic claiming A, B and C --- the onus is on you to prove it.
What was A, B & C?

The onus is firstly upon those like you to legitimately demonstrate ANY acclaimed ' holy-text ' (your biblical resource) is the words of ANY literal god(s) given to man?, see: ' all things prove ' as shown above!
jedicri wrote: I've just read ThatGirlAgain's post and I must say that what you've done is intellectually dishonest
Our quotes are virtually identical but I didn't get mine from the same source as she which until now I didn't know existed but do so now and I shall likely use that source for various future further successful rebuttals etc!
jedicri wrote: not to mention your lack of counter-arguments to the points I have made.
Such as? let's see your alleged points and I'll address those you claim I haven't already, especially after you have legitimately proved ANY acclaimed ' holy-text ' is the words of ANY literal god(s) given to man?!
jedicri wrote: All I have read from you are denials and more denials with nary a proof to back your claims, and the use of fallacious arguments of shifting the burden of proof, ad hominem attacks and strawman argumentations. If that is all you have to offer, I'm done with this thread.
All you and your predecessors have done is quote your Cults textual propaganda combined with your empty emotional pleas for credibility based at best along with your hearsay (worthless) testimonies.

Better luck if you wish to come back and try again!

BTW: I remind All you catholics from popes to priests to rank & file that you are ALL proven biblical jesus' rejects, because and simply by the facts you told us you catholics require regular confession for your sins-

No one who abides in him sins; no one who sins has either seen him or known him. (1 John 3:6) catholic edition RSV

ALL you catholics and so called ' bible believers ' that still sin, are thus proven jesus' rejects by your very own bibles!

This remains the irrefutable case against ALL catholics and repeated sinners!

Your alleged gods are very bad god persons, I am offering them the chance to become good god persons for the very first time, but only after they admit they are bad god persons and want to try again.

Composer
Banned
Banned

Post #32

Post by Composer »

ThatGirlAgain wrote: Much is made in this thread of James 5:16 and the alleged non-involvement of priests in the forgiveness of sins. The immediately preceding verses contradict that allegation.
James 5:14-15

14Is any man sick among you? Let him bring in the priests of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.

15And the prayer of faith shall save the sick man: and the Lord shall raise him up: and if he be in sins, they shall be forgiven him.

Douay-Rheims 1899
James 5:16 is contradicted by other Story book text you claim?

So your Story book IS (according to those like you) the self-contradicting man-made Story book I have proved many times already and when I refer to something in it, you find others to deny it and allegedly refute it; all from the same book. LOL!

Thanks for re-confirming what I already knew!
ThatGirlAgain wrote: Confession to priests is scripturally authorized.
Let's examine your list then shall we?

Meanwhile, James 5:16 is also scripturally authorised isn't it, but you want to illegitimately deny it?

There will be healing if you confess your sins to one another and pray for each other. The prayer of the upright man has great power, provided he perseveres. (James 5:16) Digital catholic Story book bible ver. 1.3

NB: It also states this is referring to any upright and persevering man, not particularly exclusively to a priest or apostle!

Meanwhile: Are you still a catholic or flipped back to Evangelism or something else now?

Can I examine previous Posts you made likely claiming back then that a different (Non-catholic) holy-spirit was guiding you when you were in a different Cult/Ideology?

Why do you keep sinning and why do you believe your repeated prayers to get your jesus' to stop them, miserably failed you and your fellow past & current cult/church members?

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #33

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

Composer wrote:
ThatGirlAgain wrote:
Composer wrote:
jedicri wrote: Wow. No rebuttal with regards to what was written by the early Fathers of the Church huh?
Only ad hominem attacks and unsupportable claims based on personal interpretation of Bible verses.
You have proved nothing...
For the third time -

"The formulation ‘One God in three Persons’ was not solidly established, certainly not fully assimilated into Christian life and its profession of faith, prior to the end of the 4th century.... Among the Apostolic Fathers, there had been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective" (New Catholic Encyclopedia, 1967, Vol. 14, p. 299). (My Bolds)

QED

Much much much better luck on another Topic!
ThatGirlAgain wrote: When you copied that quote (from this site?) you left out some of the ellipses. Here is what it should have been:
"The formulation 'one God in three Persons' was not solidly established ... into Christian life ... prior to the 4th century.... Among the Apostolic Fathers, there has been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective."

http://www.auburn.edu/~allenkc/trinity.html
The two quotes appear to be virtually identical so why your accusation that I allegedly ' left out some ellipses ' as you put it?

Because you left out two ellipses. There were things omitted in the quote as it appears on the site I referenced, represented by the two "..." in my post. Your representation of this quote leaves out those ellipses making it seem as if it is a continuous sentence when it is not. What exactly has been left out of the original text in the New Catholic Encyclopedia and how might it alter the meaning?
The two quotes i.e. yours and mine are virtually identical except for my emphasis in RED.

You were in error to claim otherwise and still are!
The ellipses I marked in red that were in the original chopped up quote from the anti-trinitarian site are not present in your copy of it. The people on that site have omitted what did not please them. You are pretending there was no omission. It is you that are in error as anyone with eyes can plainly see. There is no point in continuing a conversation with someone who ignores the blatantly obvious.
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #34

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

Composer wrote:
ThatGirlAgain wrote: Much is made in this thread of James 5:16 and the alleged non-involvement of priests in the forgiveness of sins. The immediately preceding verses contradict that allegation.

14Is any man sick among you? Let him bring in the priests of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.

15And the prayer of faith shall save the sick man: and the Lord shall raise him up: and if he be in sins, they shall be forgiven him.

Douay-Rheims 1899

So your Story book IS (according to those like you) the self-contradicting man-made Story book I have proved many times already and when I refer to something in it, you find others to deny it and allegedly refute it; all from the same book. LOL!

No contradiction. Forgiveness requires confession to a priest if at all possible. Only a priest can perform that sacramental act. Confessing to the community, while it may have benefits already cited in this thread, does not get forgiveness of sin. Nor does James claim that it does. That requires someone to judge whether or not forgiveness is warranted just as John 20:23 says.

“Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.�

As I pointed out, this authority was given only to a few people who were locked in that room. The priests are their successors. But you continue to ignore the existence of this section.

You also continue to ignore the existence of the section in Matthew 16 I quoted above that gives the church divine authority.
Composer wrote:
ThatGirlAgain wrote: Confession to priests is scripturally authorized.
Let's examine your list then shall we?

Meanwhile, James 5:16 is also scripturally authorised isn't it, but you want to illegitimately deny it?

There will be healing if you confess your sins to one another and pray for each other. The prayer of the upright man has great power, provided he perseveres. (James 5:16) Digital catholic Story book bible ver. 1.3

NB: It also states this is referring to any upright and persevering man, not particularly exclusively to a priest or apostle!
There will be healing within the community. Grudges will be resolved, reconciliations made and so forth. But James uses the word ‘healing’ with respect to public confession. He uses the word ‘forgiven’ in connection with priests. The power to forgive sins does not naturally reside in humans but derives from God. To say otherwise was considered blasphemy.
mark 2:5-12

5And when Jesus had seen their faith, he saith to the sick of the palsy: Son, thy sins are forgiven thee.
6And there were some of the scribes sitting there, and thinking in their hearts:
7Why doth this man speak thus? he blasphemeth. Who can forgive sins, but God only?
8Which Jesus presently knowing in his spirit, that they so thought within themselves, saith to them: Why think you these things in your hearts?
9Which is easier, to say to the sick of the palsy: Thy sins are forgiven thee; or to say: Arise, take up thy bed, and walk?
10But that you may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,)
11I say to thee: Arise, take up thy bed, and go into thy house.
12And immediately he arose; and taking up his bed, went his way in the sight of all; so that all wondered and glorified God, saying: We never saw the like.

Douay-Rheims 1899
Jesus conveyed this power to the disciples who were in the locked room with him. See John 20 again.
Composer wrote: Meanwhile: Are you still a catholic or flipped back to Evangelism or something else now?

Can I examine previous Posts you made likely claiming back then that a different (Non-catholic) holy-spirit was guiding you when you were in a different Cult/Ideology?

Why do you keep sinning and why do you believe your repeated prayers to get your jesus' to stop them, miserably failed you and your fellow past & current cult/church members?
If you would recall my early replies to you on this sub-forum or read my usergroup list, you would know that I am not a Catholic anymore nor have I gone over to any other religion. But I got top grades in 12 years of Catholic school Religion classes and know Catholicism very well. This is the Catholicism forum and I am using that knowledge to correct misconceptions about doctrine, like yours. Go link to any posts where I said otherwise or even suggested any of the other things you claim about me.
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

Composer
Banned
Banned

Post #35

Post by Composer »

ThatGirlAgain wrote:
Composer wrote:
ThatGirlAgain wrote:
Composer wrote:
jedicri wrote: Wow. No rebuttal with regards to what was written by the early Fathers of the Church huh?
Only ad hominem attacks and unsupportable claims based on personal interpretation of Bible verses.
You have proved nothing...
For the third time -

"The formulation ‘One God in three Persons’ was not solidly established, certainly not fully assimilated into Christian life and its profession of faith, prior to the end of the 4th century.... Among the Apostolic Fathers, there had been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective" (New Catholic Encyclopedia, 1967, Vol. 14, p. 299). (My Bolds)

QED

Much much much better luck on another Topic!
ThatGirlAgain wrote: When you copied that quote (from this site?) you left out some of the ellipses. Here is what it should have been:
"The formulation 'one God in three Persons' was not solidly established ... into Christian life ... prior to the 4th century.... Among the Apostolic Fathers, there has been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective."

http://www.auburn.edu/~allenkc/trinity.html
The two quotes appear to be virtually identical so why your accusation that I allegedly ' left out some ellipses ' as you put it?

Because you left out two ellipses. There were things omitted in the quote as it appears on the site I referenced, represented by the two "..." in my post. Your representation of this quote leaves out those ellipses making it seem as if it is a continuous sentence when it is not. What exactly has been left out of the original text in the New Catholic Encyclopedia and how might it alter the meaning?
The two quotes i.e. yours and mine are virtually identical except for my emphasis in RED.

You were in error to claim otherwise and still are!
The ellipses I marked in red that were in the original chopped up quote from the anti-trinitarian site are not present in your copy of it. The people on that site have omitted what did not please them. You are pretending there was no omission. It is you that are in error as anyone with eyes can plainly see. There is no point in continuing a conversation with someone who ignores the blatantly obvious.
These alleged omissions you have from your source do absolutely nothing for your cause regardless.

My quote stands as it is despite your claims it must be ignored because of alleged ' missing elipses ' you claim somehow magicly refutes it. What a joke that is, but it only supports me in the end!

(re: Johnny come lately trinity formulation) . . . . Among the Apostolic Fathers, there had been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective" (New Catholic Encyclopedia, 1967, Vol. 14, p. 299). (My Sources: 1. http://abunchofbiblediscussions.blogspo ... uotes.html & 2. http://focusonthekingdom.org/articles/trinity.htm

BTW: Anthony Buzzard (another old foe of mine) was a passionate trinitarian preacher for over 20 years, until he finally realised & joined me accepting that his trinitarian & your trinitarian cause was spurious!

I accept your capitulation also because of your errors, but by all means IF you wish to try again on other Topics, be my guest!

Last edited by Composer on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Composer
Banned
Banned

Post #36

Post by Composer »

Composer wrote:

Douay-Rheims 1899

ThatGirlAgain wrote: No contradiction.
Your claiming one set of Story book quotes refuting others is a contradiction!
ThatGirlAgain wrote: Forgiveness requires confession to a priest if at all possible.
Not according to James 5:16! -

There will be healing if you confess your sins to one another and pray for each other. The prayer of the upright man has great power, provided he perseveres. (Digital catholic bible Story book)
ThatGirlAgain wrote: Only a priest can perform that sacramental act.
Not according to James 5:16

Not according to the Story book facts that state there is ONE mediator, not thousands like the catholic appointed priests!
ThatGirlAgain wrote: Confessing to the community, while it may have benefits already cited in this thread, does not get forgiveness of sin.
James 5:16 disagrees!
ThatGirlAgain wrote: Nor does James claim that it does. That requires someone to judge whether or not forgiveness is warranted just as John 20:23 says.
So you catholics want sinners = priests, forgiving other sinners LOL!
ThatGirlAgain wrote: “Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.�
But you people claimed your Story book jesus ' already atoned/paid the price for all our sins? ' hence we are now ' sin free '.

You have retained so many errors and blunders I need to take you through them slowly!

Let us also never forget that you admitted you rejected catholicism but here you are trying to justify it -

ThatGirlAgain wrote on another Thread: -

Although no longer a Catholic, my religious education is recent and comprehensive and I believe I know the religion very well. The Immaculate Conception, the doctrine that Mary had no original sin, being already redeemed at the moment of conception, is in fact an Article of Faith.

(Source: http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... =30#400029)

So, ThatGirlAgain, as an admitted article of Faith you must have sworn your belief in its accuracy?

However now you say you reject catholicism and now reject all that you stood for as a devout catholic and preached before as a (in fact) pretend devout catholic.

Whatever you think you know about catholicism, bottom-line is ' you reject it! '.

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #37

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

Composer wrote:
Composer wrote:

Douay-Rheims 1899

ThatGirlAgain wrote: Forgiveness requires confession to a priest if at all possible.

There will be healing if you confess your sins to one another and pray for each other. The prayer of the upright man has great power, provided he perseveres. (Digital catholic bible Story book)

Not according to the Story book facts that state there is ONE mediator, not thousands like the catholic appointed priests!
ThatGirlAgain wrote: Confessing to the community, while it may have benefits already cited in this thread, does not get forgiveness of sin.
ThatGirlAgain wrote: Nor does James claim that it does. That requires someone to judge whether or not forgiveness is warranted just as John 20:23 says.
ThatGirlAgain wrote: “Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.�
But you people claimed your Story book jesus ' already atoned/paid the price for all our sins? ' hence we are now ' sin free '.

You have retained so many errors and blunders I need to take you through them slowly!

Let us also never forget that you admitted you rejected catholicism but here you are trying to justify it -

Although no longer a Catholic, my religious education is recent and comprehensive and I believe I know the religion very well. The Immaculate Conception, the doctrine that Mary had no original sin, being already redeemed at the moment of conception, is in fact an Article of Faith.

So, ThatGirlAgain, as an admitted article of Faith you must have sworn your belief in its accuracy?

However now you say you reject catholicism and now reject all that you stood for as a devout catholic and preached before as a (in fact) pretend devout catholic.

Whatever you think you know about catholicism, bottom-line is ' you reject it! '.
I see that once again you utterly ignore the parts of my post that refute your claims and simply repeat those claims. That includes your comments about my prior Catholicism, which I answered long ago in an earleir thread on this forum.

This discussion is over. You have committed the worst crime of all. You are boring.
- Bertrand Russell

Composer
Banned
Banned

Post #38

Post by Composer »

ThatGirlAgain wrote:
Composer wrote:
Composer wrote:

Douay-Rheims 1899

I see that once again you utterly ignore the parts of my post that refute your claims and simply repeat those claims. That includes your comments about my prior Catholicism, which I answered long ago in an earleir thread on this forum.

This discussion is over. You have committed the worst crime of all. You are boring.
Boring in the estimation of those that find the Truth boring!

Whatever religion and holy-spirit is allegedly giuiding you this time has again misled you and your religion busted by me yet gain!

Much much much better luck on any other Topic you wish to try your luck with again?

Next!

Composer
Banned
Banned

Post #39

Post by Composer »

ThatGirlAgain wrote: I see that once again you utterly ignore the parts of my post that refute your claims and simply repeat those claims.
Nothing you posted any where near legitimately refuted my claims.

I repeated them because you failed to legitimately make your case hence my claims remain vindicated.
ThatGirlAgain wrote: That includes your comments about my prior Catholicism,
Yes the catholic holy-spirit you claimed was originally leading you before and which you now reject and embrace another holy-spirit for your latest cult ideology?

That's 2 holy-spirits you have had so far and you still lost against me!
ThatGirlAgain wrote: which I answered long ago in an earleir thread on this forum.
Your answers did not save you from being defeated and whatever holy-spirit you claim is helping you this time also failed you.
ThatGirlAgain wrote: This discussion is over. . . . .
You lost the arguments!

Bye then, unless you wish to try your luck and latest failed holy-spirit again on another Topic?

BTW: Can you keep us ' up to date ' on which alleged ' holy-spirit ' is guiding you each time? I mean not the alleged ' catholic holy-spirit ' you had and embraced when you were a catholic, but now reject, but I refer to the latest one you claim to be embracing currently for your latest cause?

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #40

Post by Confused »

Composer wrote:
Composer wrote:
1. Your posts and those of your predecessors have already proved my claim!

2. IF you are still in doubt, I also remind you that according to your Story book bible, it is encumbent upon those like you so called bible believers to do the proving of your claims to those like me -
jedicri wrote: May I remind you that you are posting in Catholicism, a place to discuss Catholic topics and issues where we Catholics need not prove anything to you, rather those who are not need to do so.
I remind you of your Story book jesus' commands to his wanna-be believers -

all things prove; . . . . (1 Thess. 5:21) YLT (Literal translation) Story book

And you are also still commanded to - . . . . And [be] ready always for defence to every one who is asking of you an account concerning the hope that [is] in you, with meekness and fear; . . . . (1 Pet. 3:15) YLT Story book

BTW: You are also commanded not to respond with evasive answers!

So please stop them immediately or face the wrath of your Story book jesus!

&

All things, therefore, whatever ye may will that men may be doing to you, so also do to them, for this is the law and the prophets. (Matt. 7:12) YLT Story book

So get going obeying your bible Story book and start proving ANY acclaimed holy-text ' is the words of ANY literal god(s) given to men?

Much much much much much better luck next times!

jedicri wrote: You came here posting a topic claiming A, B and C --- the onus is on you to prove it.
What was A, B & C?

The onus is firstly upon those like you to legitimately demonstrate ANY acclaimed ' holy-text ' (your biblical resource) is the words of ANY literal god(s) given to man?, see: ' all things prove ' as shown above!
jedicri wrote: I've just read ThatGirlAgain's post and I must say that what you've done is intellectually dishonest
Our quotes are virtually identical but I didn't get mine from the same source as she which until now I didn't know existed but do so now and I shall likely use that source for various future further successful rebuttals etc!
jedicri wrote: not to mention your lack of counter-arguments to the points I have made.
Such as? let's see your alleged points and I'll address those you claim I haven't already, especially after you have legitimately proved ANY acclaimed ' holy-text ' is the words of ANY literal god(s) given to man?!
jedicri wrote: All I have read from you are denials and more denials with nary a proof to back your claims, and the use of fallacious arguments of shifting the burden of proof, ad hominem attacks and strawman argumentations. If that is all you have to offer, I'm done with this thread.
All you and your predecessors have done is quote your Cults textual propaganda combined with your empty emotional pleas for credibility based at best along with your hearsay (worthless) testimonies.

Better luck if you wish to come back and try again!

BTW: I remind All you catholics from popes to priests to rank & file that you are ALL proven biblical jesus' rejects, because and simply by the facts you told us you catholics require regular confession for your sins-

No one who abides in him sins; no one who sins has either seen him or known him. (1 John 3:6) catholic edition RSV

ALL you catholics and so called ' bible believers ' that still sin, are thus proven jesus' rejects by your very own bibles!

Moderator Clarification
A reminder to all debaters in this particular forum: Purpose Of This Subforum specifically states:
The purpose of this subforum is to discuss and debate topics relating to Catholicism and the Catholic Church. This will not be similar to Holy Huddle, where only Catholics can post here. It will be open to all: Protestants, Atheists, Catholics, anybody from any faith.

If you wish to challenge Catholicism, or the Catholic Church as an institution, you may do so here. If you wish to discuss Catholic Theology using the Bible as authoritative, you may do so here.

Rules
C&A Guidelines

Moderator clarifications do not count as a strike against any posters. They serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received and/or are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels a clarification of the rules is required.

:warning: Moderator Warning

A Warning to Composer: You must still remain civil in your posts. The dripping sarcasm from comments like:
Story book bible
and

really aren't necessary and are noted as not only uncivil but attacks. Also, based on the purpose of this forum, the Bible may be used as authoritative here. So it is not necessary for validating the authority of it. Now, this fact can be interpreted many ways, I admit so I will bring it up in the moderators discussion section for more clarification, but your rudeness needs to cease.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein