A place to discuss Catholic topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Composer
Banned
Banned

Official stance on who are sinners?

Post #1

Post by Composer »

Am I correct that the catholic members of the catholic church have priests to intercede / other role regarding the sins admitted at Confession by members of the catholic congregation?

Is confession considered compulsory?

Are the priests themselves also considered sinners and if so, to whom do they go for confession and I suppose have their personal sins ' forgiven / other? '.

1. Are there any exceptions where certain/any members or clergy are considered to be totally without sin and 2. therefore never need to confess or take part in confession and 3. IF that is the case upon what basis?

Thank you
Your alleged gods are very bad god persons, I am offering them the chance to become good god persons for the very first time, but only after they admit they are bad god persons and want to try again.

WinePusher

Post #41

Post by WinePusher »

Composer wrote:Am I correct that the catholic members of the catholic church have priests to intercede / other role regarding the sins admitted at Confession by members of the catholic congregation?

Are the priests themselves also considered sinners and if so, to whom do they go for confession and I suppose have their personal sins ' forgiven / other? '.

1. Are there any exceptions where certain/any members or clergy are considered to be totally without sin and 2. therefore never need to confess or take part in confession and 3. IF that is the case upon what basis?
Well Composer, here's my take on this issue. I'm a pretty devout Catholic Christian, I'm active in my Parish as a lay minister, and I don't go to confession. I think it's a useful function of Pastoral Care and I think many people with a guilty conscience can benefit from this sacrament but it should not be considered compulsory. In regards to sin, the Catholic Church has done a nice job of dividing sin up into several categories. Confession is not meant to deal with original sin, it's meant to deal with sins we committ on a regular basis which is the result of original sin. An official of the Church, serving in any capacity, is not exempt from that. It's a well known fact that an official of the Church, Pope-Deacon, is able to go to confession and is even encouraged to go to confession.

Composer
Banned
Banned

Post #42

Post by Composer »

Composer wrote:Am I correct that the catholic members of the catholic church have priests to intercede / other role regarding the sins admitted at Confession by members of the catholic congregation?

WinePusher wrote: Well Composer, here's my take on this issue.
#1: Whilst I appreciate personal opinions, isn't it correct that you must ' tow the party line? ' at all times or else you are considered a renegade / apostate / other outcast?

So ' what is the official party line and where can I read it myself? (i.e. Can you please provide a direct Link to official statements from your e.g. cathechism, magisterium?)

WinePusher wrote: I'm a pretty devout Catholic Christian,
As I am reknowned for my forthrightness, hence I must again state categorically that not a single genuine biblical jesus' believer outside of biblical fairy land, has ever stepped forward and legitimately manifested the biblical Story book promises ' already a given ' to such a believer.

I have stated many times already the requirements for simple candidature yet again not a single one has ever been found eligible let alone legitimately proven as genuine!

Are you and your masters willing to be examined by me for legitimacy according to the bible?
WinePusher wrote: I'm active in my Parish as a lay minister, and I don't go to confession.
As I already stated, your catholic masters dictate what you must do and hence please see again #1: above.

Atheists are active still on the various battle-fields sacrificing their literal lives for both believers & non-believers i.e. so those like you can do your little bit of community work with freedom; at the expense of Atheists that have and shall literally die so you can. They also did and do so Unselfishly; not demanding nor requiring divine rewards unlike selfish biblical jesus and its wanna-be followers!
WinePusher wrote: I think it's a useful function of Pastoral Care and I think many people with a guilty conscience can benefit from this sacrament but it should not be considered compulsory.
Where does it state that you are allowed or permitted to ' think for yourself ' and disobey your catholic masters?

Does your Bishop know you are a renegade?

IF your god(s) heeded your prayers, there would be no need for Pastoral care, the impoverished, sick etc wouldn't be suffering any more, yet they still are!
WinePusher wrote: In regards to sin, the Catholic Church has done a nice job of dividing sin up into several categories.
Do I detect sarcasm against your catholic masters?
WinePusher wrote: Confession is not meant to deal with original sin, it's meant to deal with sins we committ on a regular basis which is the result of original sin.
There is NO Original sin according to the bible! -

I was considering the ' Jewish ' take on Christianities alleged original sin.

IN SHORT... Jews do not believe in the existence of Original Sin. The concept of Original Sin simply states that because Adam and Eve sinned in the Garden of Eden, they brought Death into the world. Every human being dies because Adam and Eve committed a sin, and for their sin, all humans are punished with death. However, the Bible describes something entirely different. Adam and Eve were kicked out of the Garden of Eden because if they remained, they could eat the fruit of the Tree of Life, which would make them IMmortal. If Adam and Eve had to eat the fruit of the Tree of Life to become IMmortal, then they were created mortal to begin with. They did not bring Death into the world, and we don't die because they sinned. . . . . (Source: http://whatjewsbelieve.org/) - Point 5. i.e. People are born pure and without original sin.

That in itself I believe decimates the fundamental principles of Christianity.

&

The person who sins is the one who will die. The son will not be held responsible for the sin of his father and the father will not be responsible for the sin of his son. The righteous deeds of the righteous will be to his credit and the sin of the wicked will be charged against him. (Ezek. 18:20) Digital catholic Story book bible 1.3

&

A genuine biblical jesus' believer does not sin! -

a) Everyone who resides23 in him does not sin;24 everyone who sins has neither seen him nor known him. (1 John 3:6) NET Story book

&

b) Obviously you and your churches prayers asking that you all ' cease your sins ' has failed!

c) Truly, I say to you, the one who believes in me will do the same works that I do; and he will even do greater than these, for I am going to the Father. 13 Everything you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 And everything you ask in calling upon my Name, I will do. (John 14:12-14) digital catholic bible 1.3

&

d) i) Sell that ye have, and give alms; . . . . (Luke 12:33) KJV Story book

ii) . . . . go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: . . . . (Matt. 19:21) KJV story book

iv) In the same way, none of you may become my disciple if he doesn't give up everything he has. (Luke 14:33) Digital catholic bible

I would be pleased to receive copies of written and independently witnessed signatures in a Statuatory Declaration confirming you have strictly obeyed Matt. 19:21 & Luke 14:33, (i.e. A list of assets, property, Bank statements etc all reading zero?) and a similar Statuatory Declaration from those others who ' claim ' to be obedient christians?

iii) For we brought nothing into [this] world, [and it is] certain we can carry nothing out. 8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. (1 Tim. 6:7-8) KJV bible story book

Strong's renders:
BDB/Thayers # 4629
4629 skepasma {skep'-as-mah}
from a derivative of skepas (a covering; perhaps akin to the base
of 4649 through the idea of noticeableness);; n n
AV - raiment 1; 1
1) a covering, spec. clothing

but if we have food and clothing, with these we shall be content. (1 Tim. 6:8) RSV Story book catholic Edition.

So it is apparently your jesus' will; that you and those also claiming to be obedient jesus' followers, sell absolutely everything you have and own including e.g. computer(s), investments, savings, house(s) etc. give all proceeds to the poor; save a few days food and the clothes on your back, and then to confirm this, please get a non-christian friend OR any person willing to legitimately support you in this, to email a letter to me (franjac1@westnet.com.au) from you (ahem) christians, proving you have done so; along with written confirmation / sworn declaration that you are ' content? ' and shall remain that way and not go back to gathering earthly riches etc? LOL!

IF you fail and instead offer the typical BS excuses for your disobedience and hypocrisy as did ALL your predecessors, then that unambiguously also proves you also do not believe your jesus at all and know your jesus lied and you wouldn't be content with only ' food & clothing ' and hence refuse to do as you are commanded!

Therefore any such failures prove:-

i) You are not a genuine jesus' believer
ii) Your god(s) are liars that don't keep their promises!
iii) Your god(s) are a figment of you & your churches decitful and desperately corrupt minds! -

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately corrupt; . . . . (Jer. 17:9) RSV catholic edition Story book

NB: The catholic bible believers mind outclasses their alleged naughty Satan the fallen heavenly angel spirit-being in their own deceitfulness and desperate corruption of mind!

WinePusher wrote: An official of the Church, serving in any capacity, is not exempt from that. It's a well known fact that an official of the Church, Pope-Deacon, is able to go to confession and is even encouraged to go to confession.
Hence they are also failures according to the bible e.g. a), b), c) & d) shown above!
Your alleged gods are very bad god persons, I am offering them the chance to become good god persons for the very first time, but only after they admit they are bad god persons and want to try again.

jedicri
Scholar

Post #43

Post by jedicri »

Please address AND refute Scriptural verses that teaches confession and its necessity. You have proven nothing with your denials and fallacious arguments.

Jesus Christ granted the Apostles His authority to forgive sins:

John 20:21
[21] He said therefore to them again: Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send you.
Before He grants them the authority to forgive sins, Jesus says to the apostles, "as the Father sent me, so I send you." As Christ was sent by the Father to forgive sins, so Christ sends the apostles and their successors to forgive sins.

John 20:22
[22] When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost.
The Lord "breathes" on the apostles, and then gives them the power to forgive and retain sins. The only other moment in Scripture where God breathes on man is in Gen. 2:7, when the Lord "breathes" divine life into man. When this happens, a significant transformation takes place.

John 20:23
[23] Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.
Jesus says, "If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven. If you retain the sins of any, they are retained." In order for the apostles to exercise this gift of forgiving sins, the penitents must orally confess their sins to them because the apostles are not mind readers. The text makes this very clear.

Matt. 9:8
[8] And the multitude seeing it, feared, and glorified God that gave such power to men.
This verse shows that God has given the authority to forgive sins to "men." The Power referred to is the power to forgive sins on earth as Matt. 9:6 shows.

Matt. 9:6
[6] But that you may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then said he to the man sick of palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go into thy house.
Mark 2:10
[10] But that you may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,)

Christ forgave sins as a man (not God) to convince us that the "Son of man" has authority to forgive sins on earth.

Luke 5:24
[24] But that you may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,) I say to thee, Arise, take up thy bed, and go into thy house.
Luke also points out that Jesus' authority to forgive sins is as a man, not God. The Gospel writers record this to convince us that God has given this authority to men. This authority has been transferred from Christ to the apostles and their successors.

Matt. 18:18
[18] Amen I say to you, whatsoever you shall bind upon earth, shall be bound also in heaven; and whatsoever you shall loose upon earth, shall be loosed also in heaven.
The apostles are given authority to bind and loose. The authority to bind and loose includes administering and removing the temporal penalties due to sin. The Jews understood this since the birth of the Church.

John 20:22-23; Matt. 18:18
[22] When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost.
[23] Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.

The power to remit/retain sin is also the power to remit/retain punishment due to sin. If Christ's ministers can forgive the eternal penalty of sin, they can certainly remit the temporal penalty of sin.

2 Cor. 2:10
[10] And to whom you have pardoned any thing, I also. For, what I have pardoned, if I have pardoned any thing, for your sakes have I done it in the person of Christ.
Paul forgives in the presence of Christ (some translations refer to the presences of Christ as "in persona Christi"). Some say that this may also be a reference to sins.

2 Cor. 5:18
[18] But all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Christ; and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation.
The ministry of reconciliation was given to the ambassadors of the Church. This ministry of reconciliation refers to the sacrament of reconciliation, also called the sacrament of confession or penance.

James 5:15-16
[15] And the prayer of faith shall save the sick man: and the Lord shall raise him up: and if he be in sins, they shall be forgiven him.
[16] Confess therefore your sins one to another: and pray one for another, that you may be saved. For the continual prayer of a just man availeth much.

In verse 15 we see that sins are forgiven by the priests in the sacrament of the sick. This is another example of man's authority to forgive sins on earth. Then in verse 16, James says “Therefore, confess our sins to one another,� in reference to the men referred to in verse 15, the priests of the Church.
Last edited by jedicri on Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

jedicri
Scholar

Post #44

Post by jedicri »

Composer wrote:So ' what is the official party line and where can I read it myself? (i.e. Can you please provide a direct Link to official statements from your e.g. cathechism, magisterium?)
http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc.htm
http://www.vatican.va/phome_en.htm

Are you and your masters willing to be examined by me for legitimacy according to the bible?
Go ahead and refute the Catechism.
IF your god(s) heeded your prayers, there would be no need for Pastoral care, the impoverished, sick etc wouldn't be suffering any more, yet they still are!
But God did appoint Apostles and their successors. Your point is moot.
There is NO Original sin according to the bible! -
Original Sin is mentioned in Scripture where St. Paul writes "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into this world, and by sin death, and so death passed upon all men, in whom all have sinned" (Romans 5: 12). St Chrysostom teaches that that all by Adam's sin were made guilty of death and punishments. But how could they deserve these, had they not sinned in Adam? The fact of the matter is, all have sinned in Adam.
I was considering the ' Jewish ' take on Christianities alleged original sin.

IN SHORT... Jews do not believe in the existence of Original Sin. The concept of Original Sin simply states that because Adam and Eve sinned in the Garden of Eden, they brought Death into the world. Every human being dies because Adam and Eve committed a sin, and for their sin, all humans are punished with death. However, the Bible describes something entirely different. Adam and Eve were kicked out of the Garden of Eden because if they remained, they could eat the fruit of the Tree of Life, which would make them IMmortal. If Adam and Eve had to eat the fruit of the Tree of Life to become IMmortal, then they were created mortal to begin with. They did not bring Death into the world, and we don't die because they sinned. . . . . (Source: http://whatjewsbelieve.org/) - Point 5. i.e. People are born pure and without original sin. That in itself I believe decimates the fundamental principles of Christianity.
Decimates? Hardly.. Fallacious argument. We are dealing with Catholic Theology, NOT Jewish Theology.
The person who sins is the one who will die. The son will not be held responsible for the sin of his father and the father will not be responsible for the sin of his son. The righteous deeds of the righteous will be to his credit and the sin of the wicked will be charged against him. (Ezek. 18:20) Digital catholic Story book bible 1.3
You use this as a counter for Original Sin, but how would you harmonize this with Romans 5:12?
A genuine biblical jesus' believer does not sin! -

a) Everyone who resides23 in him does not sin;24 everyone who sins has neither seen him nor known him. (1 John 3:6) NET Story book
Correct interpretation of verse is: those who follow God's Law of Love (10 Commandments), ie, if they do not sin, God will abide in them.
b) Obviously you and your churches prayers asking that you all ' cease your sins ' has failed!
Wrong conclusion since mankind sins constantly due to Original Sin and the fact that we have free will to do good or evil. Aside from prayers being said for them, individuals must still do their part to convert from sin, but only if they are willing to.
c) Truly, I say to you, the one who believes in me will do the same works that I do; and he will even do greater than these, for I am going to the Father. 13 Everything you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 And everything you ask in calling upon my Name, I will do. (John 14:12-14) digital catholic bible 1.3

&

d) i) Sell that ye have, and give alms; . . . . (Luke 12:33) KJV Story book

ii) . . . . go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: . . . . (Matt. 19:21) KJV story book

iv) In the same way, none of you may become my disciple if he doesn't give up everything he has. (Luke 14:33) Digital catholic bible

I would be pleased to receive copies of written and independently witnessed signatures in a Statuatory Declaration confirming you have strictly obeyed Matt. 19:21 & Luke 14:33, (i.e. A list of assets, property, Bank statements etc all reading zero?) and a similar Statuatory Declaration from those others who ' claim ' to be obedient christians?
How about reading about the lives of the saints such as St Francis of Assissi instead.
iii) For we brought nothing into [this] world, [and it is] certain we can carry nothing out. 8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. (1 Tim. 6:7-8) KJV bible story book

Strong's renders:
BDB/Thayers # 4629
4629 skepasma {skep'-as-mah}
from a derivative of skepas (a covering; perhaps akin to the base
of 4649 through the idea of noticeableness);; n n
AV - raiment 1; 1
1) a covering, spec. clothing

but if we have food and clothing, with these we shall be content. (1 Tim. 6:8) RSV Story book catholic Edition.

So it is apparently your jesus' will; that you and those also claiming to be obedient jesus' followers, sell absolutely everything you have and own including e.g. computer(s), investments, savings, house(s) etc. give all proceeds to the poor; save a few days food and the clothes on your back, and then to confirm this, please get a non-christian friend OR any person willing to legitimately support you in this, to email a letter to me (franjac1@westnet.com.au) from you (ahem) christians, proving you have done so; along with written confirmation / sworn declaration that you are ' content? ' and shall remain that way and not go back to gathering earthly riches etc? LOL!
That is a ridiculous thing to ask for.

How about you refute what Catholicism teaches (with regards to Confession) as Forum rules demand of you...
IF you fail and instead offer the typical BS excuses for your disobedience and hypocrisy as did ALL your predecessors, then that unambiguously also proves you also do not believe your jesus at all and know your jesus lied and you wouldn't be content with only ' food & clothing ' and hence refuse to do as you are commanded!

All? Where is the proof to this claim of "All"?

Strawman, Red Herring, Shifting the Burden of Proof Argumentations....

Therefore any such failures prove:-

i) You are not a genuine jesus' believer
ii) Your god(s) are liars that don't keep their promises!
iii) Your god(s) are a figment of you & your churches decitful and desperately corrupt minds! -
"Such failures" prove nothing but simply your failure to address and refute the points we have made to counter yours.
Hence they are also failures according to the bible e.g. a), b), c) & d) shown above!
Try again...

S-word
Scholar

Post #45

Post by S-word »

WinePusher wrote:

Well Composer, here's my take on this issue. I'm a pretty devout Catholic Christian, I'm active in my Parish as a lay minister, and I don't go to confession. I think it's a useful function of Pastoral Care and I think many people with a guilty conscience can benefit from this sacrament but it should not be considered compulsory. In regards to sin, the Catholic Church has done a nice job of dividing sin up into several categories. Confession is not meant to deal with original sin, it's meant to deal with sins we committ on a regular basis which is the result of original sin. An official of the Church, serving in any capacity, is not exempt from that. It's a well known fact that an official of the Church, Pope-Deacon, is able to go to confession and is even encouraged to go to confession.
Do you receive the holy sacraments while in a state of Sin? If not, Is the reason that you can receive the sacraments in a sinless state, (1) Because you do not sin? Or (2) Because your sins were forgiven without confession?

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #46

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

S-word wrote:
WinePusher wrote:

Do you receive the holy sacraments while in a state of Sin? If not, Is the reason that you can receive the sacraments in a sinless state, (1) Because you do not sin? Or (2) Because your sins were forgiven without confession?
Venial sin is not an obstacle to receiving the sacraments. Only mortal sin is. Sin in general cannot be forgiven without Confession (aka lots of other names) except conditionally when it is not possible to get to Confession. But in the case of mortal sin, not going to Confession at the earliest reasonable opportunity revokes conditional forgiveness.

References:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11618c.htm
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14004b.htm
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

S-word
Scholar

Post #47

Post by S-word »

ThatGirlAgain wrote:
S-word wrote:
WinePusher wrote:

Venial sin is not an obstacle to receiving the sacraments. Only mortal sin is. Sin in general cannot be forgiven without Confession (aka lots of other names) except conditionally when it is not possible to get to Confession. But in the case of mortal sin, not going to Confession at the earliest reasonable opportunity revokes conditional forgiveness.

References:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11618c.htm
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14004b.htm
I am well aware of the rules and regulations concerning the receiving of the sacraments according to the universal church of Constantine, which was established by the non-christian and theoretically illiterate King Constantine, in 325 AD, some 300 years after the true Apostoliic Church was established in Jerusalem.

My question was to WinePusher who stated, (I'm a pretty devout Catholic Christian, I'm active in my Parish as a lay minister, and I don't go to confession.) as to, in what state that person receives the holy sacraments.

rbarton
Student

Post #48

Post by rbarton »

Is confession considered compulsory? YES.

Well Composer, here's my take on this issue. I'm a pretty devout Catholic Christian, I'm active in my Parish as a lay minister, and I don't go to confession. THEN, You are not DEVOUT!

Bede
Apprentice

Post #49

Post by Bede »

rbarton wrote: Is confession considered compulsory? YES.

Well Composer, here's my take on this issue. I'm a pretty devout Catholic Christian, I'm active in my Parish as a lay minister, and I don't go to confession. THEN, You are not DEVOUT!
“Devout� is probably not a good choice of a word. Someone who says the rosary every day would be devout (the rosary is a devotion). However it is not compulsory and does not necessarily make them a “good� Catholic.

Moreover confession is not compulsory for venial sins.

1458 Without being strictly necessary, confession of everyday faults (venial sins) is nevertheless strongly recommended by the Church. (my emboldening)
(Catechism of the Catholic Church)

One could therefore not go to confession and still be a Catholic in good standing with the Church.

rbarton
Student

Post #50

Post by rbarton »

[Replying to post 49 by Bede]

The Church requires that We go to confession at least once a year.