Celebacy and the Priests

A place to discuss Catholic topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Goat
Site Supporter

Celebacy and the Priests

Post #1

Post by Goat »

Recently, there are some indications that this pope is actually willing to discuss the whole 'Celebacy' issue on the priesthood. This topic has been pretty much off the table for a long long time.

http://news.yahoo.com/catholic-priest-c ... 22134.html

While I don't expect this to change anytime soon, the fact that it is open for discussion at all is a major shift in attitude. I would like to know from people who are Catholic in specific what their thoughts on the subject it.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

chestertonrules
Scholar

Re: Celebacy and the Priests

Post #11

Post by chestertonrules »

[Replying to post 10 by Nickman]

Accused is not guilty. Let's assume half are guilty.

That's roughly 3000 perverts among about 2 million priests.

.15 percent is much lower than the general population.

As I suspected, you ignored the information I provided.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Nickman »

chestertonrules wrote: [Replying to post 10 by Nickman]

Accused is not guilty. Let's assume half are guilty.
The RCC assumes guilt when they offer $2.5 billion. Which is just a small chip in the paint of a Kia Sephia.
That's roughly 3000 perverts among about 2 million priests.
Please provide these stats.
.15 percent is much lower than the general population.

As I suspected, you ignored the information I provided.
According to this information there are 78.2 M Catholics. 39.6 K of those are preists. According to the list there have only been 350K priests since 1995 just in the United States.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Goat »

chestertonrules wrote: [Replying to post 6 by Nickman]

Gibberish. There is no relationship. Protestant pastors have a higher rate of sexual abuse than priests, although you wouldn't know that from the media.

All clergy have a much lower rate of sexual abuse than public school teachers, but they are part of the leftist machine that controls the media.

Please provide the source for the claim 'Protestant pastors have a higher rate of sexual abuse than priests'.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

chestertonrules
Scholar

Post #14

[Replying to post 13 by Goat]

Here's a link to dozens of articles and reports.

http://forum.chnetwork.org/index.php?topic=2571.0;wap2

It is difficult to get accurate information on protestant abuse cases because they are so fragmented. After reading through more reports I'll amend my comment to:

There is no higher incidence of abuse among Catholic clergy than protestant clergy.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Goat »

chestertonrules wrote: [Replying to post 13 by Goat]

Here's a link to dozens of articles and reports.

http://forum.chnetwork.org/index.php?topic=2571.0;wap2

It is difficult to get accurate information on protestant abuse cases because they are so fragmented. After reading through more reports I'll amend my comment to:

There is no higher incidence of abuse among Catholic clergy than protestant clergy.

Ok. The later statement I will accept as being more reasonable and balanced.

On the other hand, I have heard that some places have profiles for sexual abuse of being a priest or minister. I suspect it's not because of the religious nature of the job, but because there is the opportunity and position of power. What had disappointed me about the RCC is the way it facilitated things because it wanted to protect it's own reputation. I think the current pope seems are lot more in tune with the laity rather than the trapping of power though, and at least for now moving the RCC in the proper direction. The Vatican had gotten too disconnected from the common person.. and Pope Francis is a breath of fresh air. I don't agree with him on lots of stuff of course, but well, I think he does a much finer job than has been seen for a while.
[/strike]

Steven Novella

chestertonrules
Scholar

Post #16

[Replying to post 15 by Goat]

Like any big bureaucracy, the Catholic Church moves slowly.

I agree that changes came to slow, but they have come and the Church has virtually eliminated abuse. It is the safest major institution in the world for children.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by Nickman »

chestertonrules wrote: [Replying to post 15 by Goat]

I agree that changes came to slow, but they have come and the Church has virtually eliminated abuse. It is the safest major institution in the world for children.
How did they eliminate abuse? I really want to know because that seems an impossible feat.

stcordova
Apprentice

Post #18

Post by stcordova »

Child molesting priests, popes with bastard kids remain in the clergy, but to get married, that is grounds from removal from the priesthood. Where is the service of Jesus in that perverted sense of priorities!

A possible reason for priestly singleness? Power. With no formal inheritance to priests kids, the priest's property remains with the church.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_se ... tive_popes

I appreciate many Catholic parishioners. I can't say I regard all the clergy very highly.

Bede
Apprentice

Post #19

Post by Bede »

stcordova wrote:
A possible reason for priestly singleness? Power. With no formal inheritance to priests kids, the priest's property remains with the church.
That is not true. A priest can leave his property to whoever he wills it to.

Moreover there are married priests within the Catholic Church.

Bede
Apprentice

Post #20

Post by Bede »

Nickman wrote:
chestertonrules wrote: [Replying to post 15 by Goat]

How did they eliminate abuse? I really want to know because that seems an impossible feat.
chesterton did not say eliminate - he said virtually eliminate.

I can't speak for the USA but here in England there are very strict safeguarding procedures in place, not just for priests, but for lay people as well who are in some form of ministry position.