Celebacy and the Priests

A place to discuss Catholic topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Goat
Site Supporter

Celebacy and the Priests

Post #1

Post by Goat »

Recently, there are some indications that this pope is actually willing to discuss the whole 'Celebacy' issue on the priesthood. This topic has been pretty much off the table for a long long time.

http://news.yahoo.com/catholic-priest-c ... 22134.html

While I don't expect this to change anytime soon, the fact that it is open for discussion at all is a major shift in attitude. I would like to know from people who are Catholic in specific what their thoughts on the subject it.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Philbert

Post #2

Post by Philbert »

As a long ago Catholic, I think it would be a great idea. But I have a better one. Retire all the men from leadership positions and replace them with women, and not celibate women please.

Celibacy is one kind of problem.

Male celibacy is another thing altogether, that's where the real nut house carnival begins. Maybe women can be sane and celibate, I really don't know. But men? No way Jose!

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

The comments on the page with the article seem to be in favor of dropping the restriction of celibacy overall.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

St. Anger
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by St. Anger »

Actually, many rites within the Catholic Church allow their Priests to marry. Personally, I think they should remain Celibate, but that is between them and God.
“The word "good" has many meanings. For example, if a man were to shoot his grandmother at a range of five hundred yards, I should call him a good shot, but not necessarily a good man.�

G.K. Chesterton

Am I buggin' you? Don't mean ta' bug ya'!

Bono

I am Death. Vengeance is mine! God's fury rains down on you!

chestertonrules
Scholar

Re: Celebacy and the Priests

Post #5

Post by chestertonrules »

[Replying to post 1 by Goat]

There are already married Catholic priests.

The celibate priesthood is the norm and I don't think this will change.

This is a discipline and not a doctrine. There have been married priests for most of Christian history.

However, since both Paul and Jesus said that being celibate is preferable for the sake of the kingdom, that is the norm for Catholic priests.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Nickman »

Goat wrote: Recently, there are some indications that this pope is actually willing to discuss the whole 'Celebacy' issue on the priesthood. This topic has been pretty much off the table for a long long time.

http://news.yahoo.com/catholic-priest-c ... 22134.html

While I don't expect this to change anytime soon, the fact that it is open for discussion at all is a major shift in attitude. I would like to know from people who are Catholic in specific what their thoughts on the subject it.
They are so close to admitting that abstinence causes molestation.

chestertonrules
Scholar

Post #7

[Replying to post 6 by Nickman]

Gibberish. There is no relationship. Protestant pastors have a higher rate of sexual abuse than priests, although you wouldn't know that from the media.

All clergy have a much lower rate of sexual abuse than public school teachers, but they are part of the leftist machine that controls the media.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Nickman »

chestertonrules wrote: [Replying to post 6 by Nickman]

Gibberish. There is no relationship. Protestant pastors have a higher rate of sexual abuse than priests, although you wouldn't know that from the media.
Please provide evidence for this. Catholic clergy sex abuse settlements reach $2.5 billion nationwide.

The settlement announced in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles Tuesday notched up their tally to nearly $700 million in settlements to victims alone, not even adding in the costs of therapy, attorneys' fees and more. Four men abused a quarter century ago by a now-defrocked priest will divide $10 million, the archdiocese said.
All clergy have a much lower rate of sexual abuse than public school teachers, but they are part of the leftist machine that controls the media.
Please provide evidence to the contrary.

chestertonrules
Scholar

Post #9

[Replying to post 8 by Nickman]

Read all about it!

I hope you aren't one of those people who don't care about reality.

http://www.themediareport.com/fast-facts/

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Nickman »

chestertonrules wrote: [Replying to post 8 by Nickman]

Read all about it!

I hope you aren't one of those people who don't care about reality.

http://www.themediareport.com/fast-facts/
From my source:
It is the first settlement since the Catholic Church released nearly 50,000 pages of internal records detailing the actions of abusive priests and how church officials responded. But many more such announcements may be coming. After years of trying to hold their priest personnel records secret, a California judge last month forced the archdiocese to release the records without redacting the names of all the priests and church officials.

More than 6,905 accused priests since 1950.

• More than 16,463 victims identified to date, although there is no national database.