Observation of Catholics taking the bread but not the wine?

A place to discuss Catholic topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Robert H
Student

Observation of Catholics taking the bread but not the wine?

Post #1

Post by Robert H »

I am not Catholic, but I attend with my wife and it seems that when a lot of them take communion, they eat the bread but then skip the wine. I asked my wife and her family about it and they all say that they don't like the idea of drinking out of the same cup as all the other strangers.

Does the Catholic church realize this? Is there a specific reason why they make everyone drink from the same cup? Should they not see that many of their believers skip half of the holiest part of their church experience and maybe give individual servings of the wine?

cnorman18

Re: Observation of Catholics taking the bread but not the wi

Post #2

Post by cnorman18 »

[Replying to post 1 by Robert H]

Some pertinent information from Wikipedia:
Risk of infectious disease transmission related to use of a common communion cup is low, to the point of being undetectable. No case of transmission of an infectious disease related to a common communion cup has ever been documented. The most likely diseases to be transmitted would be common viral illnesses such as the common cold, however a study of 681 individuals found that taking communion up to daily from a common cup did not increase the risk of infection beyond that of those who did not attend services at all.
It may be relevant that the wine used in Roman Catholic services can be a relatively strong wine, with a high alcohol content, because such wine needs no refrigeration. A fringe benefit, so to speak, would be that it would represent a difficult environment for bacteria or viruses.
In influenza epidemics, some churches suspend the giving of communion under the form of wine, for fear of spreading the disease. This is in full accord with Roman Catholic Church belief that communion under the form of bread alone makes it possible to receive all the fruit of Eucharistic grace. However, the same measure has been taken also by churches that normally insist on the importance of receiving communion under both forms. This was done in 2009 by the Church of England.

jedicri
Scholar

Post #3

Post by jedicri »

The partaking of the wine is not really necessary since Catholics believe that the bread is actually Christ's body, and so contained therein, is also Christ's blood.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by postroad »

Why not just dip the wafer in the wine? problem solved.

Bede
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by Bede »

postroad wrote: Why not just dip the wafer in the wine? problem solved.
That happens in some countries. It's called Intinction.

However there is a risk of the precious blood dripping and the wafer crumbling.

Besides that does not co-incide what Jesus said: "take and drink". Receiving from the one cup is a better sign.

LilytheTheologian
Student

Re: Observation of Catholics taking the bread but not the wi

Post #6

Post by LilytheTheologian »

[Replying to post 1 by Robert H]

At the church I attend, and it is a very large church, they do wipe the cup as soon as it's handed back to them and then rotate it. I figure between that and the alcoholic content, any germs are killed. And, people get sick more readily from hand-to-hand contact with someone who is ill than from sharing eating or drinking utensils. In short, I'm not afraid of catching anything, and I do want to partake of the Blood of Christ. There are so many benefits to be had.

Lion IRC
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by Lion IRC »

Communal sharing of the same Cup is not the only potential means of transmitting bacteria in church.
We share a font of Holy Water. (Stoup)
We shake hands exchanging the sign of peace.
We sit in close proximity - further towards the back of the church especially.

Perhaps regular church-goers have higher immune levels on account of building up a sort of 'herd immunity' resistance.

In any case, I personally believe sharing His precious Blood from the same Communion cup is attended by divine presence such that parishioners are protected from any pathogenic risk even if it existed. But I agree with LilytheTheologian. Most churches practice basic hygiene wiping the Cup in between each person.

I love being able to take both species and feel bad if the Eucharistic ministers or priest have 'run out' before I reach the front of the queue.