The power to propel us to the stars

Discuss Physics, Astronomy, Cosmology, Biology, Chemistry, Archaeology, Geology, Math, Technology

Moderator: Moderators

justme2
Apprentice

Post #1

Post by justme2 »

Can we reach the stars and beyond?
The answer is YES!!

Getting humans into outer space is not the problem. Humans have already walked on the moon. The problem with space travel is the vast distance between our solar system and the nearest one to us. The problem is in the speed needed to reach these far-off places in a reasonable time frame. The solution to the has been right in front of us.

Take for example someone at the front of a train traveling 100 MPH. If the person fires a bullet out ahead of the trail that travels at 300 MPH if you clocked the speed of this bullet it would clock at 400 MPH, not 300.

The same principle could be applied to space travel. The craft would have multiple propulsion engines. When the first one is fired it propels to craft to a speed of 1,000 MPH. When the second propulsion engine is fired (with the same propulsion force as the first), the craft is now traveling at a speed of 1,000+1,000 equaling a speed of 2,000 MPH.

If you continue firing these engines your speed increases with each engine burn. The ultimate speed you reach depends on how many bursts your engines can provide With one burst at a time you could reach the speed of light and beyond.

Or so it seemed~~~~~~~~

Now, some time later I discarded the above idea, a spacecraft could not contain
enough fuel to propel us to distant stars.
Then an actual solution came to mind.
We use the force of gravity to pull us to wherever we want to go. Magnify the force of gravity using the gravity pull of galaxies channeling that pull in a narrow band multiply the pulling force of gravity exponentially to a limitless speed.
Anything is possible; even the impossible

:study:

kcplusdc@yahoo.com
Apprentice

Mother

Post #2

Post by kcplusdc@yahoo.com »

Robotics may be a solution as well. Have them drive the long and boring part and then put some embryos in the micro wave and poof ready whip humans.

justme2
Apprentice

they are here

Post #3

Post by justme2 »

Senators receive classified briefing on UFO sightings
Updated 2014 GMT (0414 HKT) June 20, 2019
Washington (CNN)A group of US senators, including the vice chair of the Senate Intelligence committee, received a classified briefing Wednesday about a series of reported encounters by the US Navy with unidentified aircraft, according to a congressional aide.
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/20/poli ... index.html

justme2
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by justme2 »

galileo.png

Getting back to the OP; I don’t thing we can travel within our solar system and beyond using some form of “fuel�. That is why I believe we need to use the force of gravity, from solar systems to the gravity of galaxies.

The Galileo project is a good example. The Galileo space craft could not have gotten to where it went using the power of on board “fuels� to get it to where we wanted it to go. It used the forces of gravity.

8-)

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

justme2 wrote: galileo.png

Getting back to the OP; I don’t thing we can travel within our solar system and beyond using some form of “fuel�. That is why I believe we need to use the force of gravity, from solar systems to the gravity of galaxies.

The Galileo project is a good example. The Galileo space craft could not have gotten to where it went using the power of on board “fuels� to get it to where we wanted it to go. It used the forces of gravity.

According to this article, The Galileo spacecraft had on board fuel:
  • Propulsion

The propulsion subsystem consisted of a 400 N main engine and twelve 10 N thrusters, together with propellant, storage and pressurizing tanks and associated plumbing. The 10 N thrusters were mounted in groups of six on two 2-meter booms. The fuel for the system was 925 kg (2,039 lb) of monomethylhydrazine and nitrogen tetroxide. Two separate tanks held another 7 kg (15 lb) of helium pressurant. The propulsion subsystem was developed and built by Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm and provided by West Germany, the major international partner in Project Galileo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_( ... Propulsion

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Imprecise Interrupt
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by Imprecise Interrupt »

justme2 wrote: galileo.png

8-)
Gravity assist is a much misunderstood technique. One cannot use just gravity to increase speed unless you are going to crash into the gravitating object, such as a planet. If you miss the planet, you will lose as much speed climbing away from it as you gained falling toward it. You can use gravity to change direction but not speed

The gravitational sling method (now mistakenly called slingshot) actually uses the kinetic energy of the planet in its orbit around the sun, stealing some of it to increase speed. Imagine a sling, the kind David used to kill Goliath, not the kind Dennis the Menace carries in his back pocket. The stone is the spacecraft, the hand is the planet and gravity is the sling. Kinetic energy from the whirling hand is transferred from the hand to the stone via the sling. Kinetic energy from the moving planet is transferred to the spacecraft via gravity. The low mass spacecraft goes a lot faster. The hugely massive planet goes the tiniest bit slower.

I do not see any way to apply this to interstellar travel except to get a head start from planets in the solar system. It takes a strong local gravitational field to pull off a gravity assist move or the kinetic energy transfer will be too little. Where would you find that? The gravitational field from distant galaxies as experienced locally is simply too feeble to matter.

justme2
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by justme2 »

You are using current technology in your assumptions. If someone in the 1800’s said, we will one day walk on the moon and fly around in planes you would be laughed at. The day people stop using their imagination to develop new things is the day we begin our downward drift to extinction.

Imprecise Interrupt
Apprentice

Post #8

Post by Imprecise Interrupt »

justme2 wrote: You are using current technology in your assumptions. If someone in the 1800’s said, we will one day walk on the moon and fly around in planes you would be laughed at. The day people stop using their imagination to develop new things is the day we begin our downward drift to extinction.
In the 1800s Jules Verne had people travel to the moon by being shot out of a cannon. Not possible, unless squashed corpses arriving at the moon counts. But they certainly would not walk. It is not getting to the stars that I am ruling out. It is the methodology you propose. That will not work.

justme2
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by justme2 »

I have another topic I want to discuss. In order to do it I need to upload a drawing (image).
I currently have the image in PDF format.
Can someone here tell me what format I need to convert this drawing to in order to upload it-?