Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Homosexuality: nature or nurture?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Hi all

As of 29 July 2022. What does the science say? What do you think?

Homosexuality: nature or nurture?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Jose Fly
Guru

Re: Homosexuality: nature or nurture?

Post #11

Post by Jose Fly »

Difflugia wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:39 pm
Jose Fly wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:16 pmFirst, what does it matter to you whether it's a choice or innate? If it's a choice, then it's no different than religion and the people who choose to be queer should be free to live as they choose. If it's innate, then it's no different than being tall or short and the people who are born that way should be free to live as they are.
Just for completeness, "choice" and "innate" aren't the only two options. In fact, I didn't even read the OP in terms of choice (even though it's now apparent that's what was intended) because "nature vs. nurture" is usually presented as a difference between innate behaviors and early operant conditioning, neither of which represents a conscious choice.
I see nurture as a sub-category of innate. In either case, the outcome is beyond the person's control or ability to choose differently.

But either way, my second question/point is the main one. If LGBTQ people tell us "I've always been this way", who are any of us to tell them they're wrong?
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

brunumb
Savant

Post #12

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to Wootah in post #8]

To my mind, there is so much wrong with what you have said that I can't see you being persuaded by any arguments here. Never mind. The clip below might enlighten you, and other readers, on sexuality and genetics among other things.

George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Wootah
Savant

Post #13

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to brunumb in post #12]

We will see. A lot of things are natural. For instance cowardice is natural but it is not something to encourage is it?

It's complex. Cowards are more likely to survive and reproduce.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #14

Post by Jose Fly »

Wootah wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:49 pm [Replying to brunumb in post #12]

We will see. A lot of things are natural. For instance cowardice is natural but it is not something to encourage is it?

I think the bigger question is, why do you care? Some people gay, trans, non-binary, queer, bi....why does that matter to you?

Wootah
Savant

Post #15

Post by Wootah »

Jose Fly wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:22 pm
Wootah wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:49 pm [Replying to brunumb in post #12]

I think the bigger question is, why do you care? Some people gay, trans, non-binary, queer, bi....why does that matter to you?
My interests are wide ranging. I think it is good to have wide ranging interests.

I care for others as well. I don't believe those choices are optimal for the individual.

Why are atheists on a Christian debating forum? Why do you care? I think our reasons might be similar.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #16

Post by Jose Fly »

Wootah wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:06 pm My interests are wide ranging. I think it is good to have wide ranging interests.
And that includes other people's sex lives? I hope you appreciate how creepy that seems.
I care for others as well. I don't believe those choices are optimal for the individual.
Isn't that their decision to make? Do you go around policing everyone's decisions on everything to ensure that their choices are "optimal"?
Why are atheists on a Christian debating forum? Why do you care? I think our reasons might be similar.
I hope you appreciate the differences between joining an online debate forum where all the members are there voluntarily, and sticking one's nose in people's private lives without their consent.

Wootah
Savant

Post #17

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Jose Fly in post #16]

You know there is a topic called evolutionary biology, and all the scientists and researchers and people interested in it. It also seems like people want to teach children in school a wide range of sexual topics - are you protesting that as well?

Actually, I only started this thread to not pollute the other one.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by Difflugia »

Jose Fly wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:24 pm
Wootah wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:06 pm My interests are wide ranging. I think it is good to have wide ranging interests.
And that includes other people's sex lives? I hope you appreciate how creepy that seems.
Perhaps we should avoid the kink-shaming. It's popular enough that there are whole genres of multiple media devoted to it.

I saw a movie about it once. I didn't inhale, though. Or whatever.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #19

Post by Jose Fly »

Wootah wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:03 pm [Replying to Jose Fly in post #16]

You know there is a topic called evolutionary biology, and all the scientists and researchers and people interested in it. It also seems like people want to teach children in school a wide range of sexual topics - are you protesting that as well?

Actually, I only started this thread to not pollute the other one.
Noted.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #20

Post by Jose Fly »

Difflugia wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:16 pm Perhaps we should avoid the kink-shaming. It's popular enough that there are whole genres of multiple media devoted to it.

I saw a movie about it once. I didn't inhale, though. Or whatever.
This isn't about a kink, it's about what I said earlier, "sticking one's nose in people's private lives without their consent"