Moderator: Moderators

anotheratheisthere
Banned
Banned

Is homosexuality an abomination?

Post #1

Post by anotheratheisthere »

Yes.

The Bible says that homosexuality is an abomination. (Leviticus 18-22)

On the same page, it uses the exact same word to describe eating shellfish. (Leviticus 11-10 and 11-11)

Please heed the word of God:

Being gay is an abomination.

Eating shrimp is an abomination.

Being gay is just as much an abomination as eating shrimp.

Eating shrimp is just as much an abomination as being gay.

If you ever ate a shrimp cocktail you committed as grievous a sin as the most pervert homosexual.

If you ever had gay sex, you committed as grievous a sin as the most pervert shrimp cocktail eater.

If you are a gay Christian who judges and condemns people for committing the abomination of eating lobster, then you're a hypocrite.

If you're a Christian who eats lobster and you judge and condemn people for committing the abomination of being gay, then you're a hypocrite.

Gay people and people who eat seafood are abominations! Both groups are disgusting! You make me sick! How can you POSSIBLY want to have gay sex and/or eat shrimp, clams, oysters and lobster? PERVERTS!

I think we should amend the Constitution to specify that marriage is between a man and a woman.

I think we should amend the Constitution to specify that anybody who eats lobster, shrimp, clams or oysters will be deported and/or waterboarded.

East of Eden
Under Suspension

Post #141

Post by East of Eden »

McCulloch wrote:
East of Eden wrote:
McCulloch wrote:
East of Eden wrote: Yes, and the Bible from front to back considers homosexual activity to be immoral.
This is not true. There are only a handful of references to homosexuality in the Bible. A good number of writers of the Bible make no mention at all to the subject of homosexuality. Thus it is a gross overstatement to declare that this teaching is in the Bible from front to back. Job, for example, has nothing to say about homosexuality.
From Genesis to I Corinthians it does, with the same consistent message. Did you think I meant from the first verse of Genesis to the last verse of Revelation? :-k
Genesis 19
Leviticus 18 & 20
Possibly 1 Kings 14, 15, 22; 2 Kings 23
Romans 1
1 Corinthians 6
1 Timothy 1

There are 66 books in the Bible. I can find ten chapters in seven of these books that could be read as a condemnation of homosexuality. And some of those are ambiguous. Did I miss some? I think that given the amount of space given to this topic, that it is still an overstatement to declare that the Bible from front to back considers homosexual activity to be immoral.
I stand by my statement. Throughout the Bible, it is consistent on homosexual activity.
"We are fooling ourselves if we imagine that we can ever make the authentic Gospel popular......it is too simple in an age of rationalism; too narrow in an age of pluralism; too humiliating in an age of self-confidence; too demanding in an age of permissiveness; and too unpatriotic in an age of blind nationalism." Rev. John R.W. Stott, CBE

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #142

Post by Goat »

East of Eden wrote:
McCulloch wrote:
East of Eden wrote: Yes, and the Bible from front to back considers homosexual activity to be immoral.
This is not true. There are only a handful of references to homosexuality in the Bible. A good number of writers of the Bible make no mention at all to the subject of homosexuality. Thus it is a gross overstatement to declare that this teaching is in the Bible from front to back. Job, for example, has nothing to say about homosexuality.
From Genesis to I Corinthians it does, with the same consistent message. Did you think I meant from the first verse of Genesis to the last verse of Revelation? :-k
Genesis says nothing about homosexuality. That is sort of twisting the words in Genesis .. very obsessively I might add.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #143

Post by McCulloch »

East of Eden wrote: I stand by my statement. Throughout the Bible, it is consistent on homosexual activity.
You stand by a different statement. In the few scattered mentions of homosexuality in the Bible, the writers are consistent to condemn it. That is quite a different statement from it is condemned from front to back.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

East of Eden
Under Suspension

Post #144

Post by East of Eden »

Goat wrote:
East of Eden wrote:
McCulloch wrote:
Genesis says nothing about homosexuality. That is sort of twisting the words in Genesis .. very obsessively I might add.
See Genesis 19, as McCulloch pointed out. The only obsessive thing going on is your denial of the obvious.
"We are fooling ourselves if we imagine that we can ever make the authentic Gospel popular......it is too simple in an age of rationalism; too narrow in an age of pluralism; too humiliating in an age of self-confidence; too demanding in an age of permissiveness; and too unpatriotic in an age of blind nationalism." Rev. John R.W. Stott, CBE

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #145

Post by Goat »

East of Eden wrote:
Goat wrote:
East of Eden wrote:
McCulloch wrote:
See Genesis 19, as McCulloch pointed out. The only obsessive thing going on is your denial of the obvious.
That isn't about homosexuality. Ezekiel told what that sin was.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

East of Eden
Under Suspension

Post #146

Post by East of Eden »

Goat wrote:
East of Eden wrote:
Goat wrote:
East of Eden wrote:
McCulloch wrote:
That isn't about homosexuality. Ezekiel told what that sin was.
Yes it was. Where do you think the term 'sodomy' came from?

Haven

Post #147

Post by Haven »

"Sodomy" wasn't about homosexuality, but greed and lack of concern for the needy, according to the author of Ezekiel, which you hold to be the word of God.

At any rate, I'm not convinced it matters that the Bible arguably condemns homosexuality. America is a secular nation, and no law should be formed on the basis of religion.

East of Eden
Under Suspension

Post #148

Post by East of Eden »

Haven wrote: "Sodomy" wasn't about homosexuality, but greed and lack of concern for the needy, according to the author of Ezekiel, which you hold to be the word of God.
Sodom was guilty of other sins besides the sexual sin mentioned in Genesis. 'Pride' used in Ezekiel is used in the Bible to describe those who ignore God's commands such as on homosexuality. Ironic the gay movement used that very word to describe themselves.
At any rate, I'm not convinced it matters that the Bible arguably condemns homosexuality. America is a secular nation, and no law should be formed on the basis of religion.
Many of our laws are, and Christians have as much right to influence public policy as anybody.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #149

Post by Goat »

East of Eden wrote:

Yes it was. Where do you think the term 'sodomy' came from?

From ignorant people that misinterpreted the Jewish scriptures.

Steven Novella

JohnPaul
Banned
Banned

Post #150

Post by JohnPaul »

East of Eden wrote:
Haven wrote: "Sodomy" wasn't about homosexuality, but greed and lack of concern for the needy, according to the author of Ezekiel, which you hold to be the word of God.
Sodom was guilty of other sins besides the sexual sin mentioned in Genesis. 'Pride' used in Ezekiel is used in the Bible to describe those who ignore God's commands such as on homosexuality. Ironic the gay movement used that very word to describe themselves.
Many of our laws are, and Christians have as much right to influence public policy as anybody.
My neighborhood is full of sinners. The Bible strongly condemns eating shellfish and calls it an "abomination." The death penalty is prescribed for working on Sunday. A maintenance man recently pressure-washed my house on Sunday. Am I personally responsible for stoning him to death, or am I equally guilty and to be put to death too, for allowing him to do it? I need Christian help to cleanse my neighborhood of all these abominations!