Should people "shack-up" before marriage?

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

Nickman
Site Supporter

Should people "shack-up" before marriage?

Post #1

Post by Nickman »

I personally think that when two adults shack-up prior to marriage, they have a better chance of staying married and avoid divorce. This I have concluded from my own logic and experience. If we get to know a person prior to marriage on that level we are able to make a better decision about whether or not we can be married to that person. If we don't shack-up we won't be able to see how that person truly is in that setting. Christians tend to be against shacking-up which I feel has led to the statistics showing that they are more susceptible to divorce than atheists who do tend to shack-up.

What do you say? Should we shack up? Is it beneficial? If not why not?

P.S. Just because "god said so" is not a good answer. Please provide why it is harmful or wrong and the potential problem it could cause.

Davidjayjordan
Banned
Banned

Re: Should people "shack-up" before marriage?

Post #141

Post by Davidjayjordan »

Clownboat wrote:
Davidjayjordan wrote:
Nickman wrote: I personally think that when two adults shack-up prior to marriage, they have a better chance of staying married and avoid divorce. This I have concluded from my own logic and experience. If we get to know a person prior to marriage on that level we are able to make a better decision about whether or not we can be married to that person. If we don't shack-up we won't be able to see how that person truly is in that setting. Christians tend to be against shacking-up which I feel has led to the statistics showing that they are more susceptible to divorce than atheists who do tend to shack-up.

P.S. Just because "god said so" is not a good answer. Please provide why it is harmful or wrong and the potential problem it could cause.
Sure shack up, communicate, agree, be responsible, and above all take care of what you might produce in your shack. Thats surely what the Lord loves wants and expects. Long live love and responsibility and NEW~LIFE.

Isn;t the Lord good ?
Your response is great IMO. However, I don't understand why you include all the 'Lord' stuff. Seems irrelevant, and comes across like having to say 'peace be upon him' after uttering the name Mohammed.
Sure shack up, communicate, agree, be responsible, and above all take care of what you might produce in your shack.
This is good IMO.
Thats surely what the Lord loves wants and expects. Long live love and responsibility and NEW~LIFE.

Isn;t the Lord good ?
This strikes me as a bit odd and makes me think you would make a great Muslim. I'm just not sure what it has to do with the point you made.

Nah, lived in Muslim territories in Christian countries though....... normal people IMO, and wanting love and needing love just the same as us all.....

But me and wife and ALL are just normal Christians, not church people, just followers of the loving sexy Lord, just as His early disciples were.

Cant give you a hyperlink, sorry

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #142

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 1 by Nickman]

It depends on the people. I've heard of studies that show it's not beneficial, though I haven't seen the studies and, to be honest, they would be quite old at this point. As a general rule, it makes more sense to live together first before there is any legal attachment that comes with marriage.
But for some people, it might not be a good idea.
We can't make blanket statement with any legitimacy for every human as they are too varied.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #143

Post by Clownboat »

Davidjayjordan wrote:
Clownboat wrote:
Davidjayjordan wrote:
Nickman wrote: I personally think that when two adults shack-up prior to marriage, they have a better chance of staying married and avoid divorce. This I have concluded from my own logic and experience. If we get to know a person prior to marriage on that level we are able to make a better decision about whether or not we can be married to that person. If we don't shack-up we won't be able to see how that person truly is in that setting. Christians tend to be against shacking-up which I feel has led to the statistics showing that they are more susceptible to divorce than atheists who do tend to shack-up.

Sure shack up, communicate, agree, be responsible, and above all take care of what you might produce in your shack. Thats surely what the Lord loves wants and expects. Long live love and responsibility and NEW~LIFE.

Isn;t the Lord good ?
Your response is great IMO. However, I don't understand why you include all the 'Lord' stuff. Seems irrelevant, and comes across like having to say 'peace be upon him' after uttering the name Mohammed.
Sure shack up, communicate, agree, be responsible, and above all take care of what you might produce in your shack.
This is good IMO.
Thats surely what the Lord loves wants and expects. Long live love and responsibility and NEW~LIFE.

Isn;t the Lord good ?
This strikes me as a bit odd and makes me think you would make a great Muslim. I'm just not sure what it has to do with the point you made.

Nah, lived in Muslim territories in Christian countries though....... normal people IMO, and wanting love and needing love just the same as us all.....

But me and wife and ALL are just normal Christians, not church people, just followers of the loving sexy Lord, just as His early disciples were.

Cant give you a hyperlink, sorry
I guess you don't know why you included all the 'Lord' stuff either. Like I said, it seemed like a sub-conscience addition (like "peace be upon him").

No matter though, I was just curious because I didn't see how it fit in with the first part of your post.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb