Christian response to homosexual marriage?

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

bjs
Prodigy

Christian response to homosexual marriage?

Post #1

Post by bjs »

Should Christians in the USA support or oppose the legalization of homosexual marriage in their state?

I put this debate topic in this sub-forum because I’m not really interested in atheists’ opinions here, but I do wonder what Christians think.

On the one hand, we do not have to look far in our world to see what happens when people try to enforce their worldview on others. The result is always disastrous. I do not like the idea of Christians trying to legal enforce their worldview.

On the other hand, recent history has shown us that when gay marriage is legalized the right to oppose, or even abstain from involvement, is quickly lost. Opposing or abstaining from homosexual marriage is outlawed on the charge of discrimination. If gay marriage is legalized then we should expect, at the very minimum, that those who are morally opposed to homosexual action will still be required to act in support of homosexual actions if they wish to do business in their state.

I am unsure of the right approach. What do others Christians think?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Christian response to homosexual marriage?

Post #151

Post by McCulloch »

GISMYS wrote:Talk to God and ask Him to speak to you. Today God talks to mankind through His inspired (God breathed) Word (the Holybible) start your Bible reading and study in the new testment books of Matthew, Romans, Ephesians, Galations [presumably he meant Galatians] that will give you a good base then read it all.
It is probably not good form to respond to someone who has been banned, but here I go. Maybe some other believer can address these issues.
Why should I ask God to speak to me if he today only speaks through the Holy Bible, which I already have access to? Why would a forum member ask that I read the Bible, when I have already indicated that I have read and studied the entire Bible? Why would he suggest that I read works by Matthew and Paul when I have clearly stated that I don't trust the unverified speculations, ideas and theologies of mere humans?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #152

Post by Danmark »

McCulloch wrote:
GISMYS wrote:Talk to God and ask Him to speak to you. Today God talks to mankind through His inspired (God breathed) Word (the Holybible) start your Bible reading and study in the new testment books of Matthew, Romans, Ephesians, Galations [presumably he meant Galatians] that will give you a good base then read it all.
It is probably not good form to respond to someone who has been banned, but here I go. Maybe some other believer can address these issues.
Why should I ask God to speak to me if he today only speaks through the Holy Bible, which I already have access to? Why would a forum member ask that I read the Bible, when I have already indicated that I have read and studied the entire Bible? Why would he suggest that I read works by Matthew and Paul when I have clearly stated that I don't trust the unverified speculations, ideas and theologies of mere humans?
These are excellent questions and I have asked myself similar ones over the years. I hope someone who is currently a Christian has a thoughtful response.

The answer I've come to and that I freely admit is a projection on my part is that many, particularly those who've been raised in 'the faith' see the Bible as very special. Tho' I'm guessing they are not fully conscious of it, the Bible long ago became a leather draped idol. There is little point in talking about translations or who is the real author of the various books of the Bible. It has taken on an iconic status that makes it impervious to logic, scholarship and reason.

More than this, the doctrines themselves have become similarly impenetrable and indivisible so that the plain meaning of the words is rendered unimportant when it clashes with some particular theological "truth." My current favorite example is found in Mark 13, Matthew 24, and Luke 21 where "The Word" clearly states the Son of Man is coming back before that generation passes away. Even this leather bound idol is powerless against the ideology that has developed over the last 2000 years that claims He is coming back sometime in the future, soon, but still in the future.

There is no point in looking for reasons for such persistence in view of evidence to the contrary. Belief will continue to triumph over evidence and reason.

no1special
Student

Post #153

Post by no1special »

[Replying to post 133 by GISMYS]

This may come as a surprise to you but we are in agreement . We are on the same side .

no1special
Student

Post #154

Post by no1special »

[Replying to post 134 by Danmark]

And yet my questions and challenges go unanswered . Is this what you call a debate ?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #155

Post by JoeyKnothead »

no1special wrote: [Replying to post 134 by Danmark]

And yet my questions and challenges go unanswered . Is this what you call a debate ?
Crank 'em up.

How might we ever know the mind of an entity we can't show's there?

I submit, in furtherances, that the opinion of any god should not hold in check our personal opinions of our fellow humans. I propose it's up to us humans to consider how many of us it is, that we're proud of.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin