Gay Parenting, Family, and Christianity

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

Haven
Guru

Gay Parenting, Family, and Christianity

Post #1

Post by Haven »

Many conservative Christians on this forum (and elsewhere) have asserted that marriage for same-sex couples, and gay people in general, are somehow harmful to children and the institution of family, which they believe is based on the heterosexist Biblical model. This is despite the fact that at least nine million American kids have gay parents, and this causes them no problems. So, why do these individuals oppose gay parenting and nuclear families headed by couples who happen to be same-sex?

Debate questions: Is parenting by gay people bad? Is the traditional Christian model of the heterosexual family the only familial structure that is good for children? Is there any evidence that kids do better in families headed by heterosexual couples versus lesbian or gay ones? What evidence can you supply that the traditional Christian family structure is more beneficial? Should LGBT couples be allowed to adopt?
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

99percentatheism
Banned
Banned

Re: Gay Parenting, Family, and Christianity

Post #2

Post by 99percentatheism »

Haven:
Many conservative Christians on this forum (and elsewhere) have asserted that marriage for same-sex couples, and gay people in general, are somehow harmful to children and the institution of family, which they believe is based on the heterosexist Biblical model.
"Heterosexist?"

That is a Queer Theory neologism is it not?
This is despite the fact that at least nine million American kids have gay parents, and this causes them no problems.
How many decades has it been since the rise of "gay parenting?"
So, why do these individuals oppose gay parenting and nuclear families headed by couples who happen to be same-sex?
Nuclear families? Nuclear family is father-mother-children.
nuclear family
noun : the part of a family that includes only the father, mother, and children
Debate questions: Is parenting by gay people bad?

Maybe. It is all according to how they raise their children. I'd say that if they are taught terms like "heterosexist" then things may need to be monitored.

Is the traditional Christian model of the heterosexual family the only familial structure that is good for children?

Jews and Budhists in nuclear familieds seem to be a fantastic job.

Is there any evidence that kids do better in families headed by heterosexual couples versus lesbian or gay ones?

The evidence needs some time to be developed.

What evidence can you supply that the traditional Christian family structure is more beneficial?

What evidence do you demand? Prison outcomes? Mental health visits?

What's the yardstick?

Should LGBT couples be allowed to adopt?
It should depend on why they want to adopt the child. And of course it should have dependant on whether not the adoption agency was a Christian organization otr a secular one. It's too bad the Christian orgs have been persecuted into having to vilolate the beliefs. But secular adoption agencies can do whatever they wilteth.

Haven
Guru

Post #3

Post by Haven »

[color=darkred]99percentatheism[/color] wrote:
"Heterosexist?"

That is a Queer Theory neologism is it not?
No, "heterosexism" does not come from queer theory (how much do you know about queer theory?). It's a term that's been around for decades and was constructed in the same way as "racist," "sexist," and so on.
[color=green]99%[/color] wrote:
How many decades has it been since the rise of "gay parenting?"
Gay people have had children since there have been people. It's not a new thing.
[color=blue]99%[/color] wrote: Nuclear families? Nuclear family is father-mother-children.
A "nuclear family" is a familiar arrangement with two parents and children. The gender of the parents is irrelevant.
[color=indigo]99%[/color] wrote: Maybe. It is all according to how they raise their children.
I agree, but the same goes for heterosexual parents as well. At least when gay couples have children it's after a process of thought and planning, which isn't always the case with straight couples.

[color=blue]99%[/color] wrote: Jews and Budhists in nuclear familieds seem to be a fantastic job.
The question was does being raised by gay parents harm kids?
[color=orange]99%[/color] wrote: What evidence do you demand? Prison outcomes? Mental health visits?

What's the yardstick?
Economic well-being, educational attainment, crime rates, emotional trauma . . . anything that could indicate that being raised by same-sex (or different-sex) parents could be beneficial (or harmful).
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

99percentatheism
Banned
Banned

Post #4

[Replying to post 3 by Haven]

Now you guys are redefining "nuclear family" too? Is there no limits to this neologism propaganda?

Aren't you presenting that as long as these gay folk act like good Christians their kids may turn out OK?

It's good to parrot decency isn't it?

I mean, if Voodoo practioners have kids that become Doctors, does that make Voodoo a sensible worldview?

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by connermt »

[Replying to post 1 by Haven]
Is parenting by gay people bad?
There are good and bad parents in every family unit across the planet. Saying one is good or bad based on their sexual preference is silly, though not totally unexpected from some people who live in fear and ignorance.
Is the traditional Christian model of the heterosexual family the only familial structure that is good for children?
Nope. It can be good or bad, or indifferent. It depends on the people not their belief or sexual preference.
Is there any evidence that kids do better in families headed by heterosexual couples versus lesbian or gay ones?
I've seen 'evidence' showing it all ways possible. What matters are the people, not what they beleive or they sleep with.
What evidence can you supply that the traditional Christian family structure is more beneficial?
None. Though I wouldn't even look
Should LGBT couples be allowed to adopt?
If they can afford to raise the child so that it's not physically harmed or wanting (IE food, clothing and shelter) then YES. If not, then NO. Same goes for a hetero-couple.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by connermt »

[Replying to post 4 by 99percentatheism]
Now you guys are redefining "nuclear family" too?
Um, not really.... :-k
Is there no limits to this neologism propaganda?
Make believe is fun, isn't it?!?
Aren't you presenting that as long as these gay folk act like good Christians their kids may turn out OK?
I was even looking out in left field and didn't see that one coming. Well done! :roll:
I mean, if Voodoo practioners have kids that become Doctors, does that make Voodoo a sensible worldview?
If christian practioners have kids that become serial killers does that make christainity a non-sensible world view?

ten10ths
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by ten10ths »

Haven wrote: Many conservative Christians on this forum (and elsewhere) have asserted that marriage for same-sex couples, and gay people in general, are somehow harmful to children and the institution of family, which they believe is based on the heterosexist Biblical model. This is despite the fact that at least nine million American kids have gay parents, and this causes them no problems. So, why do these individuals oppose gay parenting and nuclear families headed by couples who happen to be same-sex?

Debate questions: Is parenting by gay people bad? Is the traditional Christian model of the heterosexual family the only familial structure that is good for children? Is there any evidence that kids do better in families headed by heterosexual couples versus lesbian or gay ones? What evidence can you supply that the traditional Christian family structure is more beneficial? Should LGBT couples be allowed to adopt?
Some parents are bad, some are good. This goes for gay and straight parents. How good or bad a parent is has nothing to do with their sexuality. After all, I would say a parent that forces their children to do to church is bad and that has nothing to do with their sexuality.
I have known many bad straight parents. I have known many bad Christian parents. I don't know any gay parents, but I'm sure there are bad ones there too.

Honestly, other than ambiguous biblical verses, I have seen nothing that Christians present that shows being gay as bad any worse than anything else.

99percentatheism
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Haven wrote: Many conservative Christians on this forum (and elsewhere) have asserted that marriage for same-sex couples, and gay people in general, are somehow harmful to children and the institution of family, which they believe is based on the heterosexist Biblical model. This is despite the fact that at least nine million American kids have gay parents, and this causes them no problems. So, why do these individuals oppose gay parenting and nuclear families headed by couples who happen to be same-sex?

Once you use the epithet and propaganda "heterosexist" there is no reason to continue a dialog.

Nature looks to be heterosexist. Evolution looks to be "heterosexist."

The fact of history is that there were and are large people groups that do not fit the Biblical model of man and woman/husband and wife raising their children. The pagan nations that the Israelites were to reject more tham likely had some decent examples of a good parented family. But the culture that they promoted was not acceptable overall.

"heterosexist? Only if life is important.

ten10ths
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by ten10ths »

99percentatheism wrote:

Once you use the epithet and propaganda "heterosexist" there is no reason to continue a dialog.

The fact of history is that there were and are large people groups that do not fit the Biblical model of man and woman/husband and wife raising their children. The pagan nations that the Israelites were to reject more tham likely had some decent examples of a good parented family. But the culture that they promoted was not acceptable overall.

So even though there's good parenting going on, because it doesn't fit what an book says, it needs to be unacceptable?
That sounds like a cult. Or a dictatorship. Not something I would want in any god personally. There must be peope who like that kinda thing though. Silly to consider that really lol

99percentatheism
Banned
Banned

Post #10

ten10ths wrote:
99percentatheism wrote:

So even though there's good parenting going on, because it doesn't fit what an book says, it needs to be unacceptable?
That sounds like a cult. Or a dictatorship. Not something I would want in any god personally. There must be peope who like that kinda thing though. Silly to consider that really lol
How many serial killers were great parents?

How many embezzlers? Cheats, Liars, etc., etc..?? When I lived in Santa Cruz, CA, I personally knew of a Satanic couple (worshiped Satan) that had very well adjusted children in school.

Why don't you or Haven (the author of the OP) show us the compatibility between the gay agenda, gay culture and Christian life? I've never seen anyone be able to connect the two in all reality.

I've never said that homosexuals have to live like Christians, I have though taken the position that Christians should live like Christians. Now, if you can produce any scripture that details how Christians are to engage in homosexuality, or where there is a marriage detailed as being between same gender people, please, have at it. Otherwise, please at least note the "otherness" of gay culture in comparison to a life chosen when one becomes a Christian. The guidelines of which are detailed in the New Testament.