Christian Divorce

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Christian Divorce

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

The bible appears to disallow divorce except for sexual impropriety / adultery and prohibits remarriage under most circumstances.

Yet, Christians divorce at rates as great or greater than Non-Christians and often remarry. When they remarry they are committing adultery according to the bible – and many continue the adulterous relationship until death.

If a person persists in their "sin" (adultery by remarriage), does not ask forgiveness and does not REPENT (but blatantly continues the adultery) then dies in that state, they are evidently an unrepentant sinner. Should they, therefore, be denied access to "heaven?"
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

KCKID
Guru

Post #51

Post by KCKID »

bluethread wrote:
KCKID wrote:

Wow. That was quite a blast. Settle down, man. Take a deep breath. No, you're not 'supposed' to be in favor of gay marriage after reading the article. Nor, as you would have read, is the author of that article in favor of gay marriage. It's up to you how you feel about gay marriage. It's up to the author of that item how he feels about gay marriage. It's an individual thing. Changing one's viewpoint about gay marriage from that to another was NOT what the article was about.

"I" am in favor of gay marriage or, rather, I should say that I don't make it my business to tell people who they should or should not love and who desire to spend their lives together in a committed relationship. In fact, I have no idea why there are those that ARE so hell-bent on standing in the way of gay marriage. To me it makes no sense. It makes LESS sense, to me again, if some of these folks use the Bible to support this anti-gay marriage stance. Gay marriage is a non-Bible issue as far as I'm concerned. And, here's something for ya ...since I'm in regular contact with Jesus, I'm as pleased as Punch to announce to one and all that He is fine with gay marriage. He just desires that people love one another . . . true! ;)

Most of us, I would guess, are hypocrites in some form or another. I know that I am at times, though perhaps a little less these days than I used to be. Once you recognize your hypocrisy it perhaps makes you more careful ...or maybe not. With Christians and "The Church", however, their hypocrisy is more evident since they preach publicly - and often LOUDLY - against 'the sin' of homosexuality and gay marriage while being fine with 'the sin' of divorce and remarriage. And THAT was the main gist of the said article.
Interesting turn. My post is no more of a blast than the article you posted. Yes, I had better settle down, lest I expose the fight for "marriage equality" for what it is. I acknowledge that many Christians speak loudly against the sin of homosexuality and homosexual marriage while being fine with the sin of divorce and remarriage. I believe that to be detestable behavior.
See, this is where I have a problem ...it's the word 'sin' that I find to be a rather meaningless (even stupid) word that Christians bandy around all the time. I just don't get it since - according to 'the Good Book' - EVRYONE 'sins'. Even without the Bible we know that we all fall short of being 'perfect'. So, unless someone can actually make the claim that they live a 'sinless' life then how can anyone point the finger at anyone else for 'sinning'? Many Christians DO try to get around this by claiming or conveniently assuming that different 'sins' carry different weights. And, surprise, surprise ...their 'sins' always weigh less than the 'sins' of another! That said, why would homosexuality be any more a 'sin' than heterosexuality? Also, why would the act of homosexual sex be any 'worse' than the act of heterosexual sex? As Sheldon Cooper from TV's The Big Bang Theory claims, "sex is unsanitary and messy." :yes:
bluethread wrote:My question is why aren't those who are now shouting so loudly for homosexual marriage not protesting the reduction of marriage to nothing more than government sanctioned temporary cohabitation? Why do those who promote "marriage equality", by saying it is not their business to tell people who they should or should not love and who desire to spend their lives together in a committed relationship, not defend polygamists or fathers who might wish to marry their sons or aunts who would like to marry their nieces?
I don't know. None of these things really concern me.
bluethread wrote:The author of the article may be decrying the acceptance of divorce and remarriage among Christians, but don't pretend that is really what you are concerned about. Do you really believe it is none of your business who marries whom, or is it just those relationships you personally find acceptable?
As said previously and I'll say it again ...it's none of my business who is attracted to whom and who gets married to whom. I really don't know what else to say. It's also none of my business with regard to those that divorce and remarry. The objection I have is with Christians that target 'the sin' of homosexuality while being totally oblivious to the far more widespread 'sin' of divorce and remarriage that occurs right under their noses.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #52

Post by Zzyzx »

KCKID wrote: The objection I have is with Christians that target 'the sin' of homosexuality while being totally oblivious to the far more widespread 'sin' of divorce and remarriage that occurs right under their noses.
Excellent point. Why ignore or excuse the very popular and common "sin" that is clearly identified in the bible while condemning someone else's "sin" that is less emphasized in the bible?

Does the term hypocrisy come to mind?

Does "pick and choose" morality (or Christianity) come to mind?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

99percentatheism
Banned
Banned

Re: Why....

Post #53

Post by 99percentatheism »

connermt wrote: I wonder why there aren't as many christians standing outside of city halls around the US with signs making divorce illegal except by means of the bible, like they do with gay marriage.... :-k
Indeed, the 'protection of traditional marriage' is nothing more than a slogan.
Then, would you agree, that the only "real Churches" with "real Christians" are the denominations that are declining in numbers? I know that the conservative Lutheran Churches that I have visited seem to have a large amount of empty pews.

And also, shouldn't we Christians be cheering on and holding up the perfect Christians that have not sinned and kick out any and all people that haven't been perfect? Just like the Gospels say?

99percentatheism
Banned
Banned

Post #54

Post by 99percentatheism »

Zzyzx wrote: .
KCKID wrote: The objection I have is with Christians that target 'the sin' of homosexuality while being totally oblivious to the far more widespread 'sin' of divorce and remarriage that occurs right under their noses.
Excellent point. Why ignore or excuse the very popular and common "sin" that is clearly identified in the bible while condemning someone else's "sin" that is less emphasized in the bible?

Does the term hypocrisy come to mind?

Does "pick and choose" morality (or Christianity) come to mind?
It is either time for perfect Christians to rise up and be celebrated as the only real Christians on earth or, for the ones that have commited adultery and/or gotten divorced and remarried to harrass the APA and Congress into declaring that infidelity and unfaithfulness is/are a sexual orientation that must be defined by an equality campaign.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Re: Why....

Post #55

Post by connermt »

[Replying to post 52 by 99percentatheism]
Then, would you agree, that the only "real Churches" with "real Christians" are the denominations that are declining in numbers?
No
...shouldn't we Christians be cheering on and holding up the perfect Christians that have not sinned and kick out any and all people that haven't been perfect?
So long as these christians keep their noses to their own business (meaning out of mine), I could't care less what they do, where they go, what happens to them, what they say, how they act, when the do whatever it is they do.
Just like the Gospels say?
Why start now?
It is either time for perfect Christians to rise up and be celebrated as the only real Christians on earth...
Who are these 'real' christians of whom you speak? Where can they be found?