Does religion lead to sexual oppression?

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

Princess Luna On The Moon
Apprentice

Does religion lead to sexual oppression?

Post #1

Post by Princess Luna On The Moon »

Homosexuality, premarital sex, divorce, contraception, etc. These acts, and others, are preached against in certain faiths. Is it just human nature to have a set against things like this, or is most of it caused by religion?

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Does religion lead to sexual oppression?

Post #2

Post by Goat »

Princess Luna On The Moon wrote: Homosexuality, premarital sex, divorce, contraception, etc. These acts, and others, are preached against in certain faiths. Is it just human nature to have a set against things like this, or is most of it caused by religion?

Good question. I think the part of human nature that triggers it is the desire of men to KNOW that the kids of the spouse(s) are THEIRS.. a deep down instinctual thing. It, unfortunately manifests itself in some what I consider obsolete behaviors.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Apprentice

Post #3

[Replying to post 2 by Goat]

Obsolete behaviors?

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Goat »

Yes.. the 'me man, you woman, you obey'. "Make me a sammich woman". And, the whole religious prohibitions. I find the attitude about male control is more as prevalent in the southern parts of the U.S.. but it has yet to be stamped out totally in the north either.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Apprentice

Post #5

[Replying to post 4 by Goat]

Yes, the primitive male-based culture is still prevalent here, but usually in the rural regions only. Even though Winston-Salem looks like a third world country's capitol, many of the people are quite nice and reasonable. What I hate is going to some backwoods place where everyone is white and belongs to the same church. *shivers* I also hate being forced to cook, wear a dress, or provide sex. It's a great way to make me poison food.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Goat »

Princess Luna On The Moon wrote: [Replying to post 4 by Goat]

Yes, the primitive male-based culture is still prevalent here, but usually in the rural regions only. Even though Winston-Salem looks like a third world country's capitol, many of the people are quite nice and reasonable. What I hate is going to some backwoods place where everyone is white and belongs to the same church. *shivers* I also hate being forced to cook, wear a dress, or provide sex. It's a great way to make me poison food.

My foster daughter is down in Texas, going to college, and the attitudes in the college town among her peers is very primitive and male based.. particularly compared with up here.

Steven Novella

Apprentice

Post #7

[Replying to post 6 by Goat]

Ahh, Texas, I remember it well. It's on my "DO NOT RETURN UNLESS VITALLY IMPORTANT" list.

Haven
Guru

Post #8

Post by Haven »

[color=red]Princess Luna On The Moon[/color] wrote: Homosexuality, premarital sex, divorce, contraception, etc. These acts, and others, are preached against in certain faiths. Is it just human nature to have a set against things like this, or is most of it caused by religion?
Absolutely, I'd say religion leads to sexual oppression. Religion (including, but by no means limited to, Christianity and Islam) has been used to justify rape, sexual slavery, child sexual abuse, heterosexual supremacism, male supremacism, and other atrocities and injustices. Aside from that, it is consistently used to tell people to repress their sexualities, causing them psychological and physical distress.
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

Haven
Guru

Post #9

Post by Haven »

[color=green]Princess Luna On The Moon[/color] wrote: [Replying to post 6 by Goat]

Ahh, Texas, I remember it well. It's on my "DO NOT RETURN UNLESS VITALLY IMPORTANT" list.
I live in rural South Dakota, which is not exactly LGBTQ+ friendly. As a gay man who doesn't fit into hegemonic masculinity (I'm not extremely feminine, but people can usually tell I'm gay), it's pretty challenging living here. Everything is so Christian (Lutheran & Catholic), heternormative, and gendered. Patriarchy fills every space.

Still, I'm fortunate . . . I could live in Uganda or Iran.
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

Apprentice

Post #10

[Replying to post 9 by Haven]

I know the feeling. I lived in Utah for a time, which had a very similar feeling, except with Mormons.

That reminds me, though. I was watching this documentary on the state of LGBT rights in Uganda. You might have seen it. I forgot the man's name, but it was so depressing. After the Ugandan politician knew of the host's homosexuality, he tried to prevent him from leaving the country, I think. It's been a while since I saw it last.