What is it about homosexuality?

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

Star
Sage

What is it about homosexuality?

Post #1

Post by Star »

Pastor Bert Farias, founder of Holy Fire Ministries, recently posted a hateful tirade against homosexuality on Charisma Magazine. Here are the highlights:

- Homosexuals choose the demonic practice, which results in possession
- These "putrid-smelling" demons can drive pigs to suicide
- It's so bad, not even other demons want to be around them
- Our society is in "the last stages of decay"
- There will be “destructive physical, emotional, and spiritual consequences�
- But homosexuality is as "old as the devil himself"
- And he doesn't want homosexuals to be mad because he's trying to help

http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/the ... osexuality

What is it about homosexuality (as opposed to other sins) that draws such a disproportionate amount of criticism from some Christians?

Case in point, this magazine. Homosexuality appears to be their main complaint about our society. But homosexuality wasn't specifically mentioned in the Ten Commandments or by Jesus, so why not spew the same venom at adulterers, liars, thieves, and false witnesses? Or those who covet, dishonor their parents, follow other gods, are uncharitable to the poor, don't observe the Sabbath, or anyone else perceived as unrighteous?

connermt
Banned
Banned

Re: What is it about homosexuality?

Post #2

Post by connermt »

[Replying to post 1 by Star]

Christianity dislikes anything that:
challenges their faith
they're told to dislike in the bible
anything different from themselves
anything sexual that they (or their pope) doesn't 'approve of'
anything they consider 'gross' and can be used to condemn and segregate others

A LOT of things fit into this category. At one point they hated different races (some still do); they hated inter-racial relationships (some still do); they hated left handed people; etc.

Christianity is designed in such a way that anyone can make just about anything 'true' out of it. Meaning, people can claim to be christian and hide behind their religion in the 'name of their god' and spout hate and discourse all the day long.

It's also designed so that they can claim this 'hate' and discourse in the 'name of love'. It's ridiculous IMO.

Now most christians won't accept this &/or claim "I'm not like that" but their actions speak louder than their words. Sometimes, it seems like these people think they're smarter than the average person - that these people can't see what they are &/or what they're doing with their actions all the while pontificating from their high horse in a condescending matter.

Homosexuality is just today's 'buzz word'. Once it's adopted by christiantiy, something else will move in and that its place. It seems that christianity NEEDS something to complain about and charge as 'threatening' in order to find purpose (or for some other silly reason).

Now then, to specific members: I in NO WAY have sites or uber-fabulous biblical passages to reference. Nor do I claim any facts past my own experience as a christian for decades and participation in many different sects of christian churches and experiences.

Of course, what I posted doesn't fit every single christian that ever existed or exists now - please understand and accept that fact.

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

connermt wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Star]

Christianity dislikes anything that:
challenges their faith
they're told to dislike in the bible
anything different from themselves
anything sexual that they (or their pope) doesn't 'approve of'
anything they consider 'gross' and can be used to condemn and segregate others

A LOT of things fit into this category. At one point they hated different races (some still do); they hated inter-racial relationships (some still do); they hated left handed people; etc.

Christianity is designed in such a way that anyone can make just about anything 'true' out of it. Meaning, people can claim to be christian and hide behind their religion in the 'name of their god' and spout hate and discourse all the day long.

It's also designed so that they can claim this 'hate' and discourse in the 'name of love'. It's ridiculous IMO.

Now most christians won't accept this &/or claim "I'm not like that" but their actions speak louder than their words. Sometimes, it seems like these people think they're smarter than the average person - that these people can't see what they are &/or what they're doing with their actions all the while pontificating from their high horse in a condescending matter.

Homosexuality is just today's 'buzz word'. Once it's adopted by christiantiy, something else will move in and that its place. It seems that christianity NEEDS something to complain about and charge as 'threatening' in order to find purpose (or for some other silly reason).

Now then, to specific members: I in NO WAY have sites or uber-fabulous biblical passages to reference. Nor do I claim any facts past my own experience as a christian for decades and participation in many different sects of christian churches and experiences.

Of course, what I posted doesn't fit every single christian that ever existed or exists now - please understand and accept that fact.

:warning: Moderator Warning

This post is considered to be a rant.

It contains broad sweeping generalisations, many of them (like the comment on left handed people) that were someone to respond would simply lead to further derailing of the thread.

It can be understandable that for various topics our passions can be incensed and we want to say what we think but please consider the forum and allow others that wish to debate the topic to make their case.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Star
Sage

Post #4

Post by Star »

connermt wrote:A LOT of things fit into this category. At one point they hated different races (some still do); they hated inter-racial relationships (some still do); they hated left handed people; etc.
Left-handed people are a perfectly relevant example of a group which some Christians used to discriminate against and accuse of being possessed or Satanic. Perhaps some Christians are embarrassed by this history, and wish to sweep it under the rug, like all the misogyny.

http://www.rightleftrightwrong.com/issues_religion.html

These days, "lefties" get much more of a break. Homosexuals and atheists now seem to be the two major groups which are perceived in the worst light, but homosexuals more, and gay men worse still.
connermt wrote:Of course, what I posted doesn't fit every single christian that ever existed or exists now - please understand and accept that fact.
Yes, I read your entire post, so I saw this part.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by connermt »

[Replying to post 4 by Star]

It's simply amazing what silly things people who claim 'superior' see as evil/demonic/bad. Homosexuality has absolutely ZERO impact on the believer's ability to worship their god as they see fit. Yet, they continue to belittle them (and others), try to force others into their beliefs via social, economic and legal means. I suppose it's easier to do that than to 'lead by example'.
As is with most any religion that's based on the belief of long dead men and no facts to support it, it's easy to segregate others that don't agree with them, hiding behind their religion/invisible magic cloud riding jin in the sky. This fosters ignorance, fear and, in many cases, eventually hatred.
Ironic that the religion of love is so full of hate, bigotry and condescension - much of which can be seen on this very forum unfortunately.
I suppose this will also constitute a warning, yes?

Haven
Guru

Post #6

Post by Haven »

[color=red]Star[/color] wrote: These days, "lefties" get much more of a break. Homosexuals and atheists now seem to be the two major groups which are perceived in the worst light, but homosexuals more, and gay men worse still.
I am all of the above :).

I can only hope that homophobic, biphobic, and transphobic bigotry goes the way of anti-left-handed bigotry. Right now, it looks like it will. People are becoming more accepting of the TLGB+ community, and marriage equality and TLGB+ rights are spreading.

Most anti-atheists that I've met don't really know what an atheist is -- they think we're communists, Satanists, or people who see absolutely no meaning or purpose in life ("how can you just believe in nothing?"). Education is the key to fixing this misconception.
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

Star
Sage

Post #7

Post by Star »

connermt wrote: [Replying to post 4 by Star]

It's simply amazing what silly things people who claim 'superior' see as evil/demonic/bad. Homosexuality has absolutely ZERO impact on the believer's ability to worship their god as they see fit. Yet, they continue to belittle them (and others), try to force others into their beliefs via social, economic and legal means. I suppose it's easier to do that than to 'lead by example'.
As is with most any religion that's based on the belief of long dead men and no facts to support it, it's easy to segregate others that don't agree with them, hiding behind their religion/invisible magic cloud riding jin in the sky. This fosters ignorance, fear and, in many cases, eventually hatred.
Ironic that the religion of love is so full of hate, bigotry and condescension - much of which can be seen on this very forum unfortunately.
I agree it's ironic when religions of love spew hate.

I wonder why they don't pursue those who break the Ten Commandments, or Jesus' teachings, with the same zeal? It's true the Bible states that homosexual men should be put to death, but it's not in an overly-relevant chapter.

Have you seen "The World's Worst Place to Be Gay" documentary from the BBC? This is what happens when an mostly-uneducated and superstitious society adopts fundamental Christianity.

KCKID
Guru

Post #8

Post by KCKID »

I decided to offer my response to some of the text of Burt M. Farias as supplied in the OP.
Bert M. Farias wrote:In a moment I am going to speak very plainly and straightforward about homosexuality. As a preacher, I have a great responsibility before God to speak the truth in love—to convince, rebuke and exhort with all longsuffering and teaching (2 Tim. 4:3)—to never shun to declare the whole counsel of God (Acts 20:27).

If you are involved in a gay relationship, or have a loved one who is, please do not get upset with me. I am for you and not against you. If you will listen long enough, you will see that I am actually trying to help you.
Several words spring to mind here. Patronizing, i.e. “I am here to help you.� Self-righteous, i.e. .�I am here to help you,� Idolatry, i.e. the belief that the Bible IS “God� and is to be glorified. Blasphemy, i.e. “I� as claiming to speak for God.
Bert M. Farias wrote: I know a wonderful godly Christian couple
What is it, precisely, that constitutes “a wonderful godly Christian couple�?
Bert M. Farias wrote: who have had to die a thousand deaths
Is that similar to the "a face can launch a thousand ships" prose ...? Whatever ...a nice piece of rhetoric by Mr. Farias.
Bert M. Farias wrote:when their son recently arrived home from college and admitted to them that he was practicing a homosexual lifestyle.
Yes, assuredly 'the sin of sins' for a 'wonderful godly Christian couple' to be confronted with. However, it's all in the mind.
Bert M. Farias wrote:That is a very heart-wrenching trial for any God-fearing parent to have to face.
Why the dramatics …�a heart-wrenching trial for any God-fearing parent to have to face� …? It seems to me that if homosexuality is a choice then such heart-wrenching feelings by the young man’s parents would also be a choice. If gays are expected to control their ‘gayness’, then surely the parents could be likewise expected to control their ‘heart-wrenching’ feelings …?
Bert M. Farias wrote:They have my deepest admiration for handling this situation with love and honor. Even though these kinds of situations should move us with great compassion, we cannot afford to lose our convictions. This couple has chosen to love their son while firmly holding to their strong biblical convictions and opposing the lifestyle he leads.
"Handling this situation with love and honor" ..."moving us with great compassion." The ‘dramatic license’ displayed in all of the above expressions is so over-the-top that it’s almost laughable. The young man is merely attracted to others of the same gender for crying out loud …he isn’t a serial killer! Moreover, just what ARE the ‘convictions’ that are feared to being lost here? Are they the ‘convictions’ that we get from God? Well, let’s see. God tells us to murder and rape our enemies and to pillage and destroy their property. He tells us to make slaves of our human spoils of war and to take sexual advantage of their women. He tells us that if our kids ‘give us lip’ then we are to stone them to death. He tell us to …well, need I go on? So, what, precisely, are the ‘convictions’ of “God� that we are to sorrow over if we lose them? Is being gay really more offensive to God than murder, rape and pillage as commanded by him?

Jesus? Well, a different kettle of fish. Do we really believe that Jesus is the very same 'tyrannical' God of the Old Testament? How about the ‘convictions’ we get from Jesus, are they worth hanging on to? Well, with the possible exception of one or two questionable remarks attributed to Jesus …I think so. I think that Jesus would put His arm around a ‘struggling’ gay person and say, “Your Church with its many hypocrites and double standards might condemn you …but I don’t.�

Bert M. Farias wrote:The writing is on the wall.

What will you do on that fateful day? Obey man or obey God?
Again, what is it, precisely, that constitutes ‘obeying God’? Is it to kill, rape and pillage those that are our enemies, i.e, those not considered to be ‘the chosen ones’? What, precisely?
Bert M. Farias wrote: Gay rights and gay marriage have become one of the major issues of our culture today.

Gay rights and gay marriage have become one of the major issues of our culture today because of the likes of Bert M. Farias!
Bert M. Farias wrote: In such times, Christians cannot afford to lose their moral compass or compromise the scriptures.
Well, there are several lines of thought on this one. Seventh-day Adventists and other Sabbatarian groups might say that Christians lost their moral compass and compromised the scripture centuries ago when ‘the Church’ aligned itself with early Catholicism and took on a ‘holy day’ that was NEVER authorized by “God�, i.e. Sunday having replaced the 7th-day Sabbath. Others might say that Christians lost their moral compass and compromised the scriptures when no-fault divorce and remarriage became acceptable by ‘The Church’. In contrast, this ‘The sky is falling! The sky is falling! malarkey by the Church with regard to the so-called ‘gay issue’ (created in the first place BY ‘the Church’) would have to be the biggest load of (a-hem) crud ever known to have been perpetrated ON the Church BY the Church!
Bert M. Farias wrote: Here is a reminder that will strengthen our moral bearings:
The devil hates it when someone brings the truth out into the open. He likes to keep all light and truth hidden in the darkness. He hates it when someone speaks plainly and clearly about sin. On the other hand, he loves to promote all that is abominable and evil. "Off with his head," has always been the cry against those who confront sin and preach repentance.
So here is the raw, naked truth on homosexuality that we must never forget:
The Bible . . .
The Bible being “God� to Burt Farias . . .
Bert M. Farias wrote:(The Bible) says that homosexuality is unnatural. Men in gay relationships have given up the natural use of the woman and women the natural use of the man.
"For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due." (Rom. 1:26-27).
An ambiguous piece of scripture that is likely attributed to idolatry and male shrine temple prostitutes.
Bert M. Farias wrote:The Bible does not say that God changed what was natural. Neither does it say that nature, or the environment, or the culture, or his parents, nor did his birth genes change what was natural. It says that lesbians and homosexuals changed themselves. Yes, that's right! The Bible says it is people who change their natural sexual desires in exchange for unnatural ones. The Bible sweeps away every argument, excuse and destructive reasoning for unnatural sexual activity. Some things are against nature, and therefore against God, because God created nature.
Ambiguities within scripture allow for most any interpretation one cares to give them. It’s considered quite okay to take a passage of scripture such as Romans 1:26-27 and make it say something you want it to say while ignoring the ‘context’ of the scripture that begins in verse 22 where it references men becoming fools and exchanging the glory of God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles. If this entire passage is not referring to the worship practices of man-made idols I’ll eat my hat.
Bert M. Farias wrote:Homosexuality is not ordained by God, nor is it even biologically right or natural.
Again, this is Farias appearing to be the mouth-piece for God. Remember, He and most other Christians, believe that the Bible IS God, even though they may deny this emphatically! Whenever scriptures are quoted with which to make a supposed pertinent point, the ‘source’ is being used as the actual ‘divine deity.’ If one is that hard pressed to make their argument for themselves and have to rely on a book in lieu of their own reasoning abilities then the argument should be rejected. The same may also apply with regard to the actual words attributed to Jesus though certainly not the intent of the message. If one can’t love their neighbor and not hate him/her without the need to be prompted by Bible texts to do so then I’d say that person has issues!
Bert M. Farias wrote: People are gay because they choose to be--not because they can't help it.
Such a statement suggests pure ignorance of the facts. This cannot be ignored and Farias needs to be taken to task for this. Better yet, ignore anything more that the man has to say.
Bert M. Farias wrote: It's a choice in the same way I could choose as a sexually normal red-blooded male to go out and commit adultery. Being gay is a choice just like a heterosexual couple chooses to have children, or a man decides to remain celibate and enter the monastery, or a woman chooses to be a nun. Men don't say, "I can't help being a monk!" Women don't say, "I couldn't help being a nun!" Just as normal couples make a choice to marry, or not to marry, have sex or not to have sex, have children or not have children, so it is with being gay.
REJECTED! What a lot of piffle!
Bert M. Farias wrote:The choice to be gay, however, has far greater risk in that it ties one to lust, illicit passions, and unclean practices that open up a person to the demonic.
As a teen, before I’d ever heard the words ‘homosexual’ or ‘gay’, stuff such as lust, illicit passions and unclean practices were practices that heterosexual people were involved with. Most of my peers either participated in or otherwise verbalized these things as though it were a 'right of passage' to 'manhood'. Isn’t that still the case among the heterosexual community? How come this is now considered to be just a ‘gay thing’?

I must admit, some of my teen peers back then probably did act a little on the demonic side ...ah, youth.

Bert M. Farias wrote: I will explain this further below.
O please do, O holy one. . .

Excuse my being facetious but the one thing that really irks me about these ‘religious’ types is the presumption that everyone is waiting with bated breath to hear more from them.

Bert M. Farias wrote: We've got this whole thing muddled up because people don't speak plainly and clearly anymore.
Not too many Christians appear to anyway. They prefer to use (often mistranslated) texts from the Bible to do their speaking for them.
Bert M. Farias wrote:They beat around the bush and are obsessed with political correctness and being loving and tolerant.
Yes, ‘beating around the bush’ with love and tolerance ought not to be tolerated by the ‘real’ Christians!
Bert M. Farias wrote: The truth is that everyone makes choices every single day. You can choose to believe in God or not. You can choose to believe the Bible or not. You can choose to surrender your life to Jesus Christ or not. You can choose to be a liar, a thief, a whore-monger, a murderer, an alcoholic or a drug addict. Quit blaming it on your genes or your addictive personality, unfortunate circumstances, or your background and upbringing. Yes, our culture and surroundings influence us, but we don't have to yield to its evil influences.
REJECTED! A pathetic attempt to demonize someone whose only 'sin' is that they are gay.
Bert M. Farias wrote:For example, I could say to my wife, "It's so natural for me to have sex with other women, so I think I will. I just can't help myself!" Just because a woman opens her blouse to me and entices me to have sex with her doesn't mean that I will. The fact is some people just want to do what comes naturally or what feels good, and the devil eats them up. He will feed you all the lies and perversion you are willing to receive.
All I have to see is the word “devil� and I automatically dismiss the rest of the fairy tale stuff.
Bert M. Farias wrote:Here's the raw, naked truth:
Oh please, NOT the raw naked truth . . .!
Bert M. Farias wrote:Homosexuality is actually a demon spirit. It is such a putrid-smelling demon that other demons don't even like to hang around it. A genuine prophet of God told me that the Lord allowed him to smell this demon spirit, and he got sick to his stomach. And yet as humans, many embrace this demon. Yes, you heard me right: Being gay is demonic.
REJECTED! What a lot of pure, unadulterated crud. Demonic indeed! And what the heck is 'a genuine prophet of God'?
Bert M. Farias wrote:There is an account in the Bible where Jesus casts 2,000 demons out of a man. The demons came out screaming and begged Jesus to send them into the pigs. The pigs didn't want them, so they ran down a steep hill and were drowned in the sea. Pigs have more sense than some humans. Some people embrace homosexual demons, but the pigs would rather die than be possessed with demons.

"Now a large herd of swine was feeding there near the mountains. So all the demons begged Him, saying, 'Send us to the swine, that we may enter them.' And at once Jesus gave them permission. Then the unclean spirits went out and entered the swine (there were about two thousand); and the herd ran violently down the steep place into the sea, and drowned in the sea." (Mark 5:11-13).
The scriptures are, yet again, being used to compensate for one’s lack of skills with which to communicate a point. Not to mention that the scripture in question has no relevance to the topic under discussion. Why do these religious guys do this …? The question is rhetorical. I know why.
Bert M. Farias wrote:From a biblical perspective, the rise of homosexuality is a sign that a society is in the last stages of decay. And here is another terrible truth: As people continue to reject God, He gives them over to increasingly immoral and self-destructive activities. There are destructive physical, emotional and spiritual consequences of homosexual behavior.
I would again apply REJECTED! to the above piece of crud but perhaps someone could show where ‘the rise of homosexuality being a sign that a society is in the last stages of decay’ is even hinted at in the Bible . . .? And, please …no reference to the old chestnut, Sodom and Gomorrah. I don't think I can go through that again.
Bert M. Farias wrote:Allow me to school you in Basic Sex 101.
No comment since any comment would be sarcasm.
Bert M. Farias wrote:If being gay was natural, two men or two women could produce a baby, but they can't. Their sexual reproductive organs do not complement each other therefore making it impossible for them to procreate. It can never be natural for two men or two women to get married and live together. Our culture's acceptance and celebration of gay behavior will never make it right. Wrong is wrong no matter how many people are for it. And right is right no matter how many people are against it. Homosexuality is not new. It's been around for thousands of years. It's as old as the devil himself.
I was going to say more but he mentioned ‘the devil’ again. So, being true to form I have to reject the rest of what he said as being just as fanciful.
Bert M. Farias wrote:Just as a fornicator or an adulterer can stop being sexually active, any gay person who claims to be a professing Christian can stop being gay.
Does anyone know if the preaching of sheer ignorance would constitute being ‘a sin’?
Bert M. Farias wrote:There are still plenty of strong brothers and sisters in the Lord who will be more than willing to offer help, prayer, counsel and deliverance. There are also many godly pastors and mentors
What does ‘godly pastors and mentors’ mean?
Bert M. Farias wrote:who will be glad to minister to you so you can be free.
Words fail me.
Bert M. Farias wrote:If natural feelings for the opposite sex do not return,
Based on the ignorant assumption that ‘heterosexual feelings’ ARE 'natural' for the gay person and that they were there to begin with. Is this man really taken seriously by others?
Bert M. Farias wrote: then honor the Lord by waiting and choosing to remain celibate.
Well, how about this …why don’t the ‘strong brothers and sisters in the Lord who are more than willing to offer help, prayer, counsel and deliverance’ mentioned above ALSO take a vow of celibacy in an effort to show GENUINE support for the gay person under their wing? After all, they are ‘strong in the Lord’ and should be able to handle the same thing expected of the gay person!
Bert M. Farias wrote:In the same way I would give account to God for living in adultery,
You mean 'adultery' like that of those many thousands of divorced and remarried people that are comfortably sitting in your Church pews every week? Did you not know that they are committing biblical adultery? If you do know then why are you not going after them with the same zeal you go after gay people? The God of the Torah would have these people put to death! Come to think of it, why don’t you round up all the gay people and put them to death? By not doing so are you not showing disobedience to a command of God? Where does all of this religious nonsense begin and end?
Bert M. Farias wrote:so the Bible says one day homosexuals will pay the penalty for the error of their ways. Just because something is pleasurable and feels good will never make it right if it is outside of the boundaries God has set.
Where in the Bible does it say that? Chapter and verse …please.

Does the average Christian really believe these lies?

Bert M. Farias wrote:No one has to preach controversial subjects and "rock the boat" type of messages. But in times like these when homosexuality is being embraced and celebrated by much of our culture, and now by many churches, preachers have a responsibility to preach sound doctrines and truths that will warn people of the consequences of sin. I charge every preacher of righteousness today to preach these truths and warn your people of the wrath to come on those who delight in unrighteousness and wickedness. The scriptures are full of warnings, and true love always warns.
“The scriptures� yet again. A book. A ‘holy’ book. A ‘holy’ book full of warnings for the homosexual person ‘who delights in unrighteousness and wickedness’. It’s all about gay people and their depraved lifestyle. Farias is the mouth-piece for this book, this GOD, that speaks of nothing else but the consequences for homosexual behavior. From start to finish, from Genesis 1:1 through Revelation 22:21 homosexuality is denounced. “THAT� is what people are expected to believe when listening to religious fanatics such as Farias.

The TRUTH of the matter, however, is that there are less than a thimbleful of passages in the ENTIRE Bible that reference male/male sex, maybe one reference to female/female sex. And, there are enough ambiguities surrounding this thimbleful of scriptures where one would be hard pressed to make them fit with homosexuality as we refer to the term today. There is a 95% likelihood that these passages reference idolatry and temple shrine prostitution practices. But Farias and his ilk never even reference this at all. He/they just attack (in love, of course!) the gay person since they have blown the subject of homosexuality out of proportion. It’s THEIR doing and NOT, in its defense, the Bible’s doing.

Bert M. Farias wrote:If you struggle with same-sex attraction, please take your will and put it in God's hands and let Him begin to break you of the power of its addiction. The process of breaking any addiction starts with a hatred for the thing and then a turning to God in sincere repentance. He will never cast out the one who comes to Him for help (John 6:37). When you realize that all impenitent homosexuals are among the dead who have no inheritance in the kingdom of God and whose end is destruction, the sweetness and pleasure of your sin will suddenly turn sour in your belly.

"Stolen water is sweet, and bread eaten in secret is pleasant. But he does not know that the dead are there, that her guests are in the depths of hell." (Prov. 9:17-18).
*Sigh*
Bert M. Farias wrote:Do not be deceived.
"Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God?

Paul (equated “God� to many Christians) states in Romans 3:10: "There is no one righteous; no, not one.�

So, according to Paul NO ONE will inherit the kingdom of God. What say, Bert?

Bert M. Farias wrote:Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God." (1 Cor. 6:9-10).
That’s quite a list, Bert. Are you in there somewhere? The irony is, considering the subject matter, that the word “homosexual� – either in its Hebrew or Greek form – is found nowhere in the original scripture. It was placed there relatively recently by those who didn’t appear to know the meaning of the word. A homosexual is a person who is sexually attracted to people of their own sex. The word has no ‘right or wrong’ connection whatever. It is ‘morally neutral’. When it was placed in the Bible, however, it was given another meaning …SIN! And, most Christians have willingly or ignorantly gone along with this deceptive use of a word that should never have been placed in the Bible at all!

This subject has become such a time waster for me. No matter how many times it might be argued that homosexuality is NOT ‘the sin’ that the zealots would have us believe, the ignorant remain ignorant and the gay-haters remain gay-haters. It’s impossible to change the mindsets of those who have no desire to change.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by connermt »

Star wrote:
connermt wrote: [Replying to post 4 by Star]

I agree it's ironic when religions of love spew hate.

I wonder why they don't pursue those who break the Ten Commandments, or Jesus' teachings, with the same zeal? It's true the Bible states that homosexual men should be put to death, but it's not in an overly-relevant chapter.

Have you seen "The World's Worst Place to Be Gay" documentary from the BBC? This is what happens when an mostly-uneducated and superstitious society adopts fundamental Christianity.

I think I saw parts of that documentary before....
As to 'why they don't pursue others with more zeal...' from my experience, there are a couple of reasons:
1) laziness. It's easier to sit back and complain than to research and try to better the lives of others (which is a problem with humanity as a whole, not just christians) but also
2) they 'go after' things they dislike &/or fear in the name of 'love' that doesn't impact their lives at all.
You see so many people with signs against gay marriage but so very few with signs of protest against divorce outside biblical regulations!
It would be amusing it weren't for the fact these people are hindering the lives of others for no good reason.

KCKID
Guru

Post #10

Post by KCKID »

I'm all but done on this topic and all of the threads associated with it. I have nothing new to offer and one can only cover the same old ground so many times before it becomes like a clanging cymbal. And, I've reached that point after more than 2½ years on the forum. However, I came across the following link just today that might be of interest. It's called BORN EQUAL - Same Sex Marriage Documentary:

I can't speak for anyone else but I think even the most conservative Christian would be hard-pressed to continue with their anti-gay stance once they've seen it. f not, however, it won't be the first time that I've been wrong. The power of religious indoctrination is very difficult to break through.