should homosexuals be executed?

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

DanieltheDragon
Savant

should homosexuals be executed?

Post #1

Post by DanieltheDragon »

The bible clearly states that homosexual acts are punishable by death.

Lev 20:13

If a man lie swith another man the way he lies with a woman , both of them have committed a detestable act, they shall surely be put to death ;they have brought this on their own heads

It appears to me anything short of the death penalty is meaningless to God. Why won't the "straight agenda" recognize this?

Question for debate should there be a death penalty for LGBT individuals?

Wordleymaster1
Apprentice

Re: should homosexuals be executed?

Post #2

Post by Wordleymaster1 »

DanieltheDragon wrote: The bible clearly states that homosexual acts are punishable by death.

Lev 20:13

If a man lie swith another man the way he lies with a woman , both of them have committed a detestable act, they shall surely be put to death ;they have brought this on their own heads

It appears to me anything short of the death penalty is meaningless to God. Why won't the "straight agenda" recognize this?

Question for debate should there be a death penalty for LGBT individuals?
If you're a Christian that follows the Old Testament YES. But in today's PC world, we can't be killing people like this can we? At least not in America - maybe in some other countries.
So many Christians have distanced themselves from such a stance. Though their own God seems to be OK with it - it IS in His book after all
Hypocritical though as it may be

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #3

[Replying to post 2 by Wordleymaster1]

Well it seems to me the basis for the straight agenda exists in the old testament. So all this stuff against LGBT individuals makes absolutely no sense. The bible doesn't say don't affirm them, it doesn't say ban gay marriage, it says kill them. So any literalist who complains about gay rights and the gay agenda is just as "wrong" as everyone else. After all they apparently dislike political correctness so what is holding them back?

Jashwell
Guru

Post #4

Post by Jashwell »

As many apologists would say, those only applied to the jews > 2000 year ago. They were morally right then, but are morally wrong now.

Times change, and apparently executing homosexuals was alright back then.
Other answer is that it referred to 'a different kind of homosexuality that existed back then, not today's LGBT'.

But the question is "Should there be a death penalty for LGBT individuals?" (it's implied that the question is whether the death penalty should be a punishment for being an LGBT individual, not should LGBT individuals be exempt from death penalties), and the answer to that probably isn't in the Bible.
I'd say definitely not.

Haven
Guru

Post #5

Post by Haven »

Of course the fundamentalists are avoiding this thread. They know it's a catch-22 for them -- either seem like a cruel barbarian by supporting the execution of LGBT people, or seem soft on scriptural literalism by denying the relevance of those passages. They're had either way.
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #6

[Replying to post 5 by Haven]

Yeah I agree. The escape as pointed out is they don't follow the OT or the law of moses. That begs the question though. Why ban gay marriage why be anti gay? If the OT laws no longer apply then why not be gay?

I fear some fundamentalists want their cake and eat it to. I dare say some might even feel like they wish this was the case but are to afraid to say it. Political correctness indeed.

KCKID
Guru

Post #7

Post by KCKID »

Haven wrote: Of course the fundamentalists are avoiding this thread. They know it's a catch-22 for them -- either seem like a cruel barbarian by supporting the execution of LGBT people, or seem soft on scriptural literalism by denying the relevance of those passages. They're had either way.
I also know why the "fundies" would rather stay away from the question asked in the OP. Moreover, something that really irks me is the (apparent) 'feigned' outrage by the majority of Christians toward the Westboro Baptist Church whenever they publicly present their "God Hates Fags/Fags Must Die: See Leviticus 20:13" signs. While "I" personally don't believe that ANY of the biblical texts that allegedly condemn homosexuality have anything to do with homosexuality as we refer to it today, a huge majority of Christians DO believe that the Leviticus texts condemn homosexuality and they parrot the 'abomination' part constantly. And yet, these very same Christians jump up and down and act as if appalled at the WBC for posting 'the word of God' (Leviticus 20:13) on their banners. Do these 'fundie' Christians believe Leviticus 18:22/20:13 as being relevant for we of today or don't they ...?

Honestly, I cannot take Fundamentalist Christians seriously!

Haven
Guru

Post #8

Post by Haven »

[color=darkred]KCKID[/color] wrote: I also know why the "fundies" would rather stay away from the question asked in the OP. Moreover, something that really irks me is the (apparent) 'feigned' outrage by the majority of Christians toward the Westboro Baptist Church whenever they publicly present their "God Hates Fags/Fags Must Die: See Leviticus 20:13" signs. While "I" personally don't believe that ANY of the biblical texts that allegedly condemn homosexuality have anything to do with homosexuality as we refer to it today, a huge majority of Christians DO believe that the Leviticus texts condemn homosexuality and they parrot the 'abomination' part constantly. And yet, these very same Christians jump up and down and act as if appalled at the WBC for posting 'the word of God' (Leviticus 20:13) on their banners. Do these 'fundie' Christians believe Leviticus 18:22/20:13 as being relevant for we of today or don't they ...?

Honestly, I cannot take Fundamentalist Christians seriously!
It's a total contradiction, and the fundamentalists seem oblivious to it. One can't have one's cake and eat it too. Fundamentalists should either accept that the Bible is authoritative (as the gospels report Jesus doing) and accept this barbaric punishment, or admit that the punishment is ludicrous and renounce strict Biblical literalism.
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

Wordleymaster1
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by Wordleymaster1 »

DanieltheDragon wrote: [Replying to post 2 by Wordleymaster1]

Well it seems to me the basis for the straight agenda exists in the old testament. So all this stuff against LGBT individuals makes absolutely no sense. The bible doesn't say don't affirm them, it doesn't say ban gay marriage, it says kill them. So any literalist who complains about gay rights and the gay agenda is just as "wrong" as everyone else. After all they apparently dislike political correctness so what is holding them back?
Absolutely. This is a perfect example of weak believers using the bible to hate but not hving the 'bells' to act on it like their God says to.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #10

Post by OnceConvinced »

If you're gonna execution homosexuals because of what the bible says, then you should also kill the following:

Kill People Who Don't Listen to Priests (Deuteronomy 17:12)
Kill Witches (Exodus 22:17)
Kill Fortunetellers (Leviticus 20:27)
Death for Hitting parents (Exodus 21:15)
Death for Cursing Parents (Proverbs 20:20, (Leviticus 20:9)
Death for Adultery (Leviticus 20:10)
Death for Fornication (Leviticus 21:9)
Death to Followers of Other Religions (Exodus 22:19, Deuteronomy 13:7-12)
Kill Nonbelievers (2 Chronicles 15:12-13)
Kill False Prophets (Zechariah 13:3, Deuteronomy 13:1-5)
Kill the Entire Town if One Person Worships Another God (Deuteronomy 13:13-19)
Kill Women Who Are Not Virgins On Their Wedding Night (Deuteronomy 22:20-21) – which would include the majority of Christian women these days.
Death for Blasphemy (Leviticus 24:10-16)
Kill People for Working on the Sabbath' (Exodus 31:12-15)
Kill Sons of Sinners (Isaiah 14:21)

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World