Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

RUSLAN
Student

Why is sex outside of marriage wrong?

Post #1

Post by RUSLAN »

I'll ask a very simple question.

In Christianity, Islam, and Judaism, sex is allowed only within marriage.

Of course there are some believers who do not really agree with this, but my question is for those who do agree with it.

Can someone (Christian, Muslim, or Jew) explain why sex outside of marriage is wrong, but without citing any religious text(s)?

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Why is sex outside of marriage wrong?

Post #2

Post by Goat »

RUSLAN wrote: I'll ask a very simple question.

Of course there are some believers who do not really agree with this, but my question is for those who do agree with it.

Can someone (Christian, Muslim, or Jew) explain why sex outside of marriage is wrong, but without citing any religious text(s)?

Just to point out, what is forbidden is adultery, not unmarried sex. Premarital sex is discouraged, but it isn't considered 'holy', while sex within marriage is considered 'holy' or special. The attitudes change with the culture and the time, but premarital sex is not forbidden by Jewish law.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #3

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 2 by Goat]

just remember to make sure she is not a virgin.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

[Replying to post 1 by RUSLAN]

Marriage is a contract between two people to be sexually exclusive. Sex outside of marriage, therefore is a violation of the contract.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by ttruscott »

RUSLAN wrote: I'll ask a very simple question.

The physical is simultude of the spiritual. Marriage is the symbol for unity between GOD and HIS Church, and sex is the symbol for the unity between GOD and Man. These unities are symbolic of the Unity of Deity between the three divine members of the Trinity. All expressions for the breaking (or ignoring the meaning) of that bond are therefore symbols for idolatry and choosing sin over holiness whether adultery or promiscuity.

Peace, Ted
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #6

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 4 by McCulloch]

well technically speaking biblical marriage is a contract for the female to be sexually exclusive not the male.

Adultery is only having sex with the wife of another male.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #7

Post by Divine Insight »

RUSLAN wrote: Can someone (Christian, Muslim, or Jew) explain why sex outside of marriage is wrong, but without citing any religious text(s)?
For me, it was solely about taking responsibility for providing a family and parental mentoring for any offspring.

It is my view that "sexual acts" that do not result in pregnancy or procreation are not "sex" from a religious point of view.

In fact, this is one of the very many reasons that as a Christian I ultimate tossed in the towel on this religion. The Bible simply doesn't address the truly important issues. Instead it's all based on rather crude ignorance from what I consider to be very low-mentality morons.

In fact, look at many religious families. They have all these stupid taboos about "sex acts" (including actions that can't even cause pregnancy or procreation yet they still consider them to be "sex" simply because they produce orgasmic bliss). They have even bastardized masturbation.

Yet in spite of all these sexual taboos many of these "parents" are actually quite lousy parents when it actually comes to raising and mentoring their children.

In fact, the Bible basically has the parents beating the children into submission to their authority rather than actually teaching the children intelligently.

Prov.23:13 Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.

This is supposedly God's instructions on how to property correct a child. :roll:

It's a disgusting religion, IMHO. Obviously written by morons.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Wootah
Savant

Post #8

Post by Wootah »

Divine Insight wrote:
RUSLAN wrote: Can someone (Christian, Muslim, or Jew) explain why sex outside of marriage is wrong, but without citing any religious text(s)?
It's a disgusting religion, IMHO. Obviously written by morons.
:warning: Moderator Final Warning
Hi DI,

As always your post contains intelligent debatable material.

And as almost always you ruin your posts with rants and insults.

Using the word moron is simply an ad hominem and the problem is that you write too many of them.

You know the rules, have been warned repeatedly and still choose to ignore them. You really will have to consider the standards of the forum As you write your posts.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator final warnings serve as the last strike towards users. Additional violations will result in a probation vote. Further infractions will lead to banishment. Any challenges or replies to moderator warnings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Danmark »

Divine Insight wrote:
Prov.23:13 Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.

This is supposedly God's instructions on how to property correct a child. :roll:
Yep, pretty lame advice and advice that has damaged a lot of families. Corporal punishment is pretty ineffective compared to logical consequences and developing a good relationship with a kid. Experts in the field don't even recommend it for dogs, tho' occasionally you do need to get their attention [dogs I mean] by gently but firmly grabbing them with both hands just under the jaw and taking some of their weight off their front paws.

Prob'ly it'd work well with young children too, a firm but painless grasp by both wrists or shoulders while explaining why running with an axe toward the baby is a bad idea.

But striking? No. Very bad idea that all too often feeds into a father's own issues.
Very bad advice from the Bible.

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #10

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 1 by RUSLAN]

Sex has always been a taboo concept within most religions. For me, it's nothing more than a bunch of power hungry men with something to prove that had the chance to enforce change within their community.
Nothing more
No God interaction (or god)
No supreme being interaction with what we do with our bodies

Let's all be adults about it and take charge of OUR OWN LIVES and not the lives of others - live & let live - as long as you're not hurting someone else in the process.
You're a Mormon that doesn't like caffeine? Good. Don't drink it but don't hinder others from drinking it
You're a Catholic and don't like birth control? Good. Don't use it but don't hinder others from using it.
You're a Snake Handler and love messin' with snakes? Good. Do it, but not force others to do it.

It all really rather simple if we are like intelligent adults that want to live our own lives and stay out of the lives of others. Unfortunately, in many 'cushy' countries, some people are so flippin' bored that they need to push their opinions and viewpoints onto others while keeping their butts on their comfy sofas and Lay-Z-Boys

Sad really