Why is sex outside of marriage wrong?

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

RUSLAN
Student
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:36 pm

Why is sex outside of marriage wrong?

Post #1

Post by RUSLAN »

I'll ask a very simple question.

In Christianity, Islam, and Judaism, sex is allowed only within marriage.

Of course there are some believers who do not really agree with this, but my question is for those who do agree with it.

Can someone (Christian, Muslim, or Jew) explain why sex outside of marriage is wrong, but without citing any religious text(s)?

mitty
Sage
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:08 am
Location: Antipodes

Re: Why is sex outside of marriage wrong?

Post #101

Post by mitty »

Logicaloutreach wrote: [Replying to mitty]

Thou shalt not commit adultry is one of the ten main commandments. People who shack up don't take their relationship that serious.
So what; that commandment ain't a definition of marriage. That only says that you can't have sex with the wife of another bloke. And if you do then any pregnancy fro adultery must be aborted (Numbers 5:20-28). And why do you claim that Abraham & Noah & Moses didn't take their relationships seriously when they shacked up with their women?

So what's the basic biblical definition of marriage apart from simply a personal agreement between two people to shack up together? So far you have presented absolutely nothing which defines what a biblically acceptable marriage is. Have you ever read the bible?

Does the bible say that a legally signed marriage contract is essential for a biblically acceptable marriage?
Does the bible say that a marriage celebrant is essential for a biblically acceptable marriage?
Does the bible say that witnesses are essential for a biblically acceptable marriage?
Does the bible say that a church service is essential for a biblically acceptable marriage

What were the basic requirements for the marriages of biblical characters such as Moses or Noah or Abraham or David?

Bust Nak
Savant
Posts: 9457
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:03 am
Location: Planet Earth
Has thanked: 117 times
Been thanked: 182 times

Post #102

Post by Bust Nak »

Logicaloutreach wrote: If a man live on an island by himself but had all the money in the world, is he rich being the only human in existence? Vaule is an internal process that give value to the external!
Sure, I fully agree.
Such as respect, trust, honesty, loyalty, admiration! But this process breaks down if you dont value anyone, so making a commitment to someone else is really making a commitment to you own internal process!

But if you see people as garbage that is the way you will feel since it is what you are internally processing.
So don't treat other as garbage, value them and treat them with respect, be trust worthy and honest, be someone who attract admiration. What does any of that got to do with having sex outside of marriage?

Do you treat people you have sex with as garbage? Can't you respect a sex partner outside a marriage?
Do you live under a rock are you even aware of the wide spread of social breakdown going on right now!!!
Sure things are not ideal, but why would you blame that on sex outside marriage?
Sex being the basis of your decision to marry is very circumstantial what happens when a woman has kids and her birth canal is not as tight as it was? Of if she gets fat? Are you marrying for sex?
All the more reason to not tie sex with marriage! You are undermining your own point.
This is not a guilt tactic my position of debate is the bible says to put chemistry first and the sex will be more than satisfying!
Great but what does that have to do with sex and marriage?
Let's take the sexiest woman you ever seen and gave you the best sex you ever had. But she cheats on you, lies about everything, steals from you, allows people to talk about you, tells you your worthless and hits you every day!

Now I ask you is the bomb sex gonna make the relationship?
No. Now I ask you what does that have to do with marriage?
Alot of your view of what I'm saying is projected from someone overly religious and overbearing!
Or perhaps from someone who thinks trust and respect of a couple can only ever comes from within a marriage?

shnarkle
Guru
Posts: 2056
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:56 am

Re: Why is sex outside of marriage wrong?

Post #103

Post by shnarkle »

RUSLAN wrote: I'll ask a very simple question.

In Christianity, Islam, and Judaism, sex is allowed only within marriage.

Of course there are some believers who do not really agree with this, but my question is for those who do agree with it.

Can someone (Christian, Muslim, or Jew) explain why sex outside of marriage is wrong, but without citing any religious text(s)?
It was a cultural thing. Societies, particularly the State; saw it as important to have a vested interest in the welfare of the State. On the surface, this makes perfect sense. No society wants to become sick. So State wants to become weak, inferior, depraved etc. So the idea was that good healthy families build healthy extended families or tribes, which build a healthy society and a healthy State. The question became, "How do we insure a healthy State? Be sanctioning those who want to start a family. We don't want just anyone getting together with anyone else. We want to build strong, mutually beneficial alliances so elders, adults etc. sanctioned marriage. The word "marriage" comes from a Latin word which means "to impregnate". This is explicitly what is being sanctioned by the State and the church in antiquity.

This is no longer the case anymore, and single people should be outraged that the State is now sanctioning, and giving tax breaks to people that are not in any way contributing to these same vested interests anymore. Single people UNITE against this outrageous and blatant discrimination!

CindSein
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:48 am

Re: Why is sex outside of marriage wrong?

Post #104

Post by CindSein »

McCulloch wrote: [Replying to post 1 by RUSLAN]

Marriage is a contract between two people to be sexually exclusive. Sex outside of marriage, therefore is a violation of the contract.
I strongly agree with what you have said.
Marriage is an agreement. Since it is a sexually exclusive relationship, the partners are expected to have sex only with each other and each promise never to have sex with anyone else as long as they both live. As long as you are married, you are allowed to do sex only with your partner. I'm a person who strongly supports that. Because according to me, sex is something that is very divine. It is not a thing that must be done with everyone.

User avatar
McCulloch
Site Supporter
Posts: 24068
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 9:10 pm
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Why is sex outside of marriage wrong?

Post #105

Post by McCulloch »

[Replying to post 103 by CindSein]

But what about the case where wher is no exclusive contract? Is it OK for unmarried people to have sex? Why not?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Kenisaw
Guru
Posts: 2117
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:41 pm
Location: St Louis, MO, USA
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Re: Why is sex outside of marriage wrong?

Post #106

Post by Kenisaw »

CindSein wrote:
McCulloch wrote: [Replying to post 1 by RUSLAN]

Marriage is a contract between two people to be sexually exclusive. Sex outside of marriage, therefore is a violation of the contract.
I strongly agree with what you have said.
Marriage is an agreement. Since it is a sexually exclusive relationship, the partners are expected to have sex only with each other and each promise never to have sex with anyone else as long as they both live. As long as you are married, you are allowed to do sex only with your partner. I'm a person who strongly supports that. Because according to me, sex is something that is very divine. It is not a thing that must be done with everyone.
I would disagree that it is a sexually exclusive agreement. If you perform marriage within a church, then that is probably true. The state wedding license does not have requirements related to sexual activity as a part of the rules of obtaining such a license. There is no secular claim to it being a sexually exclusive relationship...

User avatar
Clownboat
Savant
Posts: 8134
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:42 pm
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 304 times

Re: Why is sex outside of marriage wrong?

Post #107

Post by Clownboat »

CindSein wrote:
McCulloch wrote: [Replying to post 1 by RUSLAN]

Marriage is a contract between two people to be sexually exclusive. Sex outside of marriage, therefore is a violation of the contract.
I strongly agree with what you have said.
Marriage is an agreement. Since it is a sexually exclusive relationship, the partners are expected to have sex only with each other and each promise never to have sex with anyone else as long as they both live. As long as you are married, you are allowed to do sex only with your partner. I'm a person who strongly supports that. Because according to me, sex is something that is very divine. It is not a thing that must be done with everyone.
Please explain this 'divine' aspect you see within the act of sex.

We are biological creatures that reproduce via sexual reproduction. What is divine about that?

Is it possible you are just asserting this 'divine' status without reason? I ask because I have been having sex for decades and have not encountered the 'divine' aspect you claim is there. (Unless you are just using 'divine' to describe something that you find 'delightful, but I assume you are speaking to the gods when you use that word).

di·vine1
dəˈvīn/Submit
adjective
1.
of, from, or like God or a god.
"heroes with divine powers"
synonyms: godly, angelic, seraphic, saintly, beatific; More
2.
informaldated
excellent; delightful.
"that succulent clementine tasted divine"
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

MuffMaYne
Apprentice
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:20 pm

Re: Why is sex outside of marriage wrong?

Post #108

Post by MuffMaYne »

[Replying to post 1 by RUSLAN]

If you don't want religious text then I can simply just reason why.

If everyone were to have sex within marriage and only within marriage, how many children would grow up fatherless or motherless? How many people would be STD free? How many relationships or homes wouldn't be broken because someone cheated? Sex withing and only within marriage has is purpose and would serve society greatly, we just prefer our own way over God's way even tho his way would benefit us so much more.

User avatar
Clownboat
Savant
Posts: 8134
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:42 pm
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 304 times

Re: Why is sex outside of marriage wrong?

Post #109

Post by Clownboat »

MuffMaYne wrote: [Replying to post 1 by RUSLAN]

If you don't want religious text then I can simply just reason why.

If everyone were to have sex within marriage and only within marriage, how many children would grow up fatherless or motherless? How many people would be STD free? How many relationships or homes wouldn't be broken because someone cheated? Sex withing and only within marriage has is purpose and would serve society greatly, we just prefer our own way over God's way even tho his way would benefit us so much more.
Conservative Christians think of themselves as the last line of defense for a time-honored and holy tradition, marriage. In the conservative Christian view, marriage is a sacred union ordained by God. It binds one man and woman together so that the “two become one flesh� until they are parted by death.

This view of marriage is unbiblical, to be sure. See Captive Virgins, Polygamy, Sex Slaves: What Marriage Would Look Like If We Actually Followed The Bible. But hey, who actually reads the Bible? Surely, what God meant to say is that marriage should take the form that is most familiar and traditional to us: One male plus one female who is given to the male by her father–that part is biblical–for life.

According to research by the Barna Research Group over a decade ago, American divorce rates were highest among Baptists and nondenominational “Bible-believing� Christians and lower among more theologically liberal Christians like Methodists, with atheists at the bottom of the divorce pack.
http://www.salon.com/2013/11/01/atheist ... s_partner/
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

MuffMaYne
Apprentice
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:20 pm

Re: Why is sex outside of marriage wrong?

Post #110

Post by MuffMaYne »

[Replying to post 108 by Clownboat]

Nope thats completely false, and all i did was answer the question that the topic proposed. Without biblical references why is it wrong outside of marriage? I gave several reasons why, or at least why it would be beneficial to follow this rule of sex only within a marriage.

Post Reply