Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

RUSLAN
Student

Why is sex outside of marriage wrong?

Post #1

Post by RUSLAN »

I'll ask a very simple question.

In Christianity, Islam, and Judaism, sex is allowed only within marriage.

Of course there are some believers who do not really agree with this, but my question is for those who do agree with it.

Can someone (Christian, Muslim, or Jew) explain why sex outside of marriage is wrong, but without citing any religious text(s)?

Logicaloutreach
Student

Re: Why is sex outside of marriage wrong?

Post #91

Post by Logicaloutreach »

[Replying to post 87 by mitty]

Do you want a scripture?

mitty
Sage

Post #92

Post by mitty »

Logicaloutreach wrote: [Replying to post 87 by mitty]

Do you want a scripture?
yes - an OT description of the basic requirements for two people to be married.

Logicaloutreach
Student

Post #93

[Replying to mitty]

Ok what exactly are you asking? So when I answer you don't feel like I'm avoiding the question. Are you saying that a relationship between one man and one woman is debatable. You can try debating that with your girlfriend see how it goes over. If you can financially afford to take care of more than one woman good luck. And the psychological battle of two woman instead of one. I think it can be said that God is merciful for only giving men one woman.

Matthew 19New International Version (NIV)Divorce

19 When Jesus had finished saying these things, he left Galilee and went into the region of Judea to the other side of the Jordan. 2 Large crowds followed him, and he healed them there.

3 Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?�

4 “Haven’t you read,� he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’[a] 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.�

7 “Why then,� they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?�

8 Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.�

10 The disciples said to him, “If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry.�

11 Jesus replied, “Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.�
[Replying to mitty]

Ok what exactly are you asking? So when I answer you don't feel like I'm avoiding the question. Are you saying that a relationship between one man and one woman is debatable. You can try debating that with your girlfriend see how it goes over. If you can financially afford to take care of more than one woman good luck. And the psychological battle of two woman instead of one. I think it can be said that God is merciful for only giving men one woman.

19 When Jesus had finished saying these things, he left Galilee and went into the region of Judea to the other side of the Jordan. 2 Large crowds followed him, and he healed them there.

3 Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?�

4 “Haven’t you read,� he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’[a] 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.�

7 “Why then,� they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?�

8 Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.�

10 The disciples said to him, “If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry.�

11 Jesus replied, “Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.�

mitty
Sage

Post #94

Post by mitty »

Logicaloutreach wrote: [Replying to mitty]

[Replying to mitty]

In other words the basic definition of a marriage is simply a personal agreement between two people to shack up together according to the bible, and doesn't need a legally signed marriage contract or celebrant or witnesses or any of the other expensive wedding hoo ha offered by the wedding industry - including the churches.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #95

Post by ttruscott »

mitty wrote: [marriage]... doesn't need a legally signed marriage contract or celebrant or witnesses or any of the other expensive wedding hoo ha offered by the wedding industry - including the churches.
imo
The legal necessity of marriage came with the ability to make a will rather than all goes to the first born son. When a wedding became necessary to recognize legitimacy of inheritance and fees could be charged for the witness, the church got in on the act with the lawyers and both came out ahead. Big weddings became a way for the happy couple to get enough loot to get started on their new life as they started to leave the ancestral home and set up for themselves and the more witnesses to the wedding, the more legally sound it was.

But in religious terms, how you get married, whether by rubbing noses or something else, it was a symbol for our unity with GOD and therefore inviolable, regardless of its form.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Logicaloutreach
Student

Post #96

[Replying to mitty]

If your ignoring chemistry then yeah your dull boring lifeless definition is correct! There is a biblical way that makes marriage an experience!!!!

mitty
Sage

Post #97

Post by mitty »

If your ignoring chemistry then yeah your dull boring lifeless definition is correct! There is a biblical way that makes marriage an experience!!!!
And what's that got to do with a biblically acceptable marriage being simply a personal agreement between two people to shack up together.

Logicaloutreach
Student

Post #98

[Replying to mitty]

That's why you should study the bible instead of assume you know what the bible is talking about as far as marriage goes

mitty
Sage

Post #99

Post by mitty »

That's why you should study the bible instead of assume you know what the bible is talking about as far as marriage goes
Then which verses in Leviticus define what are the basic requirements for marriage which was divinely decreed by one of the bible gods. So far you have presented nothing which demonstrates that a biblically acceptable marriage is anything more than just a personal agreement between two people only to shack up together.

Logicaloutreach
Student

Post #100

[Replying to mitty]

Thou shalt not commit adultry is one of the ten main commandments. People who shack up don't take their relationship that serious.