Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

RUSLAN
Student

Why is sex outside of marriage wrong?

Post #1

Post by RUSLAN »

I'll ask a very simple question.

In Christianity, Islam, and Judaism, sex is allowed only within marriage.

Of course there are some believers who do not really agree with this, but my question is for those who do agree with it.

Can someone (Christian, Muslim, or Jew) explain why sex outside of marriage is wrong, but without citing any religious text(s)?

OnceConvinced
Savant

Re: Why is sex outside of marriage wrong?

Post #41

Post by OnceConvinced »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
In Christianity it's wrong because God says it's wrong.
Just saying something is wrong is not good enough. Why is it wrong? "Because the bible says so" is really a cop out. Can you explain why God would be so against it?

As soon as you're saying something like "Because the bible says so" it's kind of like your demanding that we must switch off our brains.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #42

Post by Danmark »

OnceConvinced wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
This "wrong because God says so" does not cut it. You could say the samething about wearing blended fabrics or eating ham. Or for killing a 'sacred cow' for that matter.

Just saying something is wrong is not good enough. Why is it wrong? "Because the bible says so" is really a cop out. Can you explain why God would be so against it?

As soon as you're saying something like "Because the bible says so" it's kind of like your demanding that we must switch off our brains.
The only objective reason for sex outside of marriage being wrong is if it constitutes a breach of a promise. The act itself is not immoral.

For reasons I do not understand, the Christian community has a blind spot about the sex act itself; as if it were inherently evil. Even masturbation and 'recreational' sex between married couples is viewed as wrong by these Victorian fuss budgets. Why? Why has this long standing 'sex is dirty' attitude among some Christians endured thru the ages? It is wholly irrational.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #43

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 41 by OnceConvinced]

Well it's good enough for ME, and for millions of Christians. That's a fact and one I'm pointing out. That it's not good enough for others is irrelevant to the above fact. So your counterpoint is totally irrelevant to the fact stated.

To illustrate: If somebody pointed out "That house on fire" and you pointed out "Millions of houses are NOT on fire" that response is irrelevant to the point made. It is true, millions of houses are not on fire, but how does that stop your walls from melting?

We can contend the information therein, ie "Is the house REALLY on fire", so the question "Do you REALLY believe that the bible's direction should guide your life on the question of sex outside marriage" is a relevant question, but to contend that others do not believe that is good enough (while true) is irrelevant to the statement of fact made.

Regards,

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #44

OnceConvinced wrote: Can you explain why God would be so against it?
No, not in THIS thread because the explaination is in bible texts and reference to any bible text has been prohibited by the asker.
RUSLAN wrote: without citing any religious text(s)?

Sorry

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Clownboat
Savant

Post #45

Post by Clownboat »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
RUSLAN wrote: I'll ask a very simple question.

In Christianity, Islam, and Judaism, sex is allowed only within marriage.

Of course there are some believers who do not really agree with this, but my question is for those who do agree with it.

Can someone (Christian, Muslim, or Jew) explain why sex outside of marriage is wrong, but without citing any religious text(s)?

Good thing you have your own brain to use and you are able to examine everything carefully while holding on to what is good, huh?

We also don't need to burn witches or kill gays any longer, even though this very same unchanging god concept commanded it at one time (or at least the leaders putting forth said commands claimed a god was actually behind them).
Being able to do such a thing would be very powerful, I bet you could get your followers to go to war with your neighbors if they believed a god that would give them eternal life was ordering it. I would think you could even convince them to give you part of their income!

If only preachers, pastors, priests, Imams, Witch Doctors and Shamans didn't have the market cornered already. :(
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Clownboat
Savant

Post #46

Post by Clownboat »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 41 by OnceConvinced]

Well it's good enough for ME, and for millions of Christians. That's a fact and one I'm pointing out. That it's not good enough for others is irrelevant to the above fact. So your counterpoint is totally irrelevant to the fact stated.

To illustrate: If somebody pointed out "That house on fire" and you pointed out "Millions of houses are NOT on fire" that response is irrelevant to the point made. It is true, millions of houses are not on fire, but how does that stop your walls from melting?

We can contend the information therein, ie "Is the house REALLY on fire", so the question "Do you REALLY believe that the bible's direction should guide your life on the question of sex outside marriage" is a relevant question, but to contend that others do not believe that is good enough (while true) is irrelevant to the statement of fact made.

Regards,

JW

You're committing a logic fallacy. Granted, it is kinda cute how you seem to think that you can use it in order to claim that something is a fact.

I can call a piece of poop brown, and I would probably be right, but it is still a piece of poop.
I can also refer to a logical fallacy and claim it is a fact, but it is still a piece of poop justification if you catch my drift.

My parents raised 5 Christian children. All of us were going to wait until marriage. Many of us even did the promise ring thing, but you know what, not a single one of us actually waited until marriage and we are lucky only one of us got pregnant due to not being prepared.

I get the feeling that you are one of our younger posters here, is this not true?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #47

Clownboat wrote:
Good thing you have your own brain to use and you are able to examine everything carefully while holding on to what is good, huh?
Yes, I would agree with you, that is indeed a good thing.

JW

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #48

Clownboat wrote: not a single one of us actually waited until marriage and we are lucky only one of us got pregnant due to not being prepared.

That too is a fact. The two can co-exist. I did not say ALL Christians wait until marriage I said that millions do and that I AM. Are you suggesting that something I said is inaccurate?

Clownboat
Savant

Post #49

Post by Clownboat »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Clownboat wrote:
Yes, I would agree with you, that is indeed a good thing.

JW
You forgot to address your logical fallacy and how it is not a valid justification.
JW wrote:Well it's good enough for ME, and for millions of Christians.
You just agreed that using our brains to examine everything carefully is good, but then you failed to do that very thing by not addressing your logical fallacy.

If your justification is a logical fallacy ('it's good enough for ME, and for millions of Christians'), and you agree that we should use our brain to examine things in order to hold on to what is good, then why are you making an exception here? Why are you holding on to something that has been examined to be 'not good'.

It's not willful ignorance right?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #50

Clownboat wrote:
You forgot to address [...] how it is not a valid justification.
JW wrote:Well it's good enough for ME, and for millions of Christians.
No I didn't forget anything, I posted all I intended to post. I did not forget to address a logical fallacy because I did not make one.

I did not seek to justify anything, I simply stated a fact. I did not say it is good enough for me BECAUSE millions of Christians, and I certainly did not suggest that my position should be imposed on others, I only said that that the bible is the reason for my personal position and that I am not alone. Nothing in my post can be proven to be untrue. There are millions more Christians that don't of course but these two facts are not mutually exclusive.

Facts don't need justification, they just need to be true. If I said that the room temperature is currently 25° C and it's true, there is no need to justify this - it's a fact. You may ask WHY it is true (ie what factors have contributed to this truth) but to demand justification is to impose a moral judgement that is purely subjective in nature.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.