Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Could Jesus have been gay?

Post #1

Post by JJ50 »

The gospel of John specifically mentions that there was a disciple whom Jesus loved, presumably male. As Jesus never condemned homosexuality, it is possible he was gay and enjoying a gay relationship with this particular disciple?

There is nothing wrong with being gay, it is NORMAL! If it could be proved Jesus was gay it would be a slap in the face to all the unpleasant bigots who use the Bible as an excuse for their nasty bigotry where homosexuality is concerned.

A question for the Christians on the forum, just supposing it could be established beyond all doubt that Jesus was a homosexual, would it make any difference to your faith?

JLB32168

Post #11

Post by JLB32168 »

It needs to be pointed out that ancient societies had no concept of sexual orientation. That one might be attracted to the same sex was inconsequential. Actions spoke louder than words. Having said that, given how same sex attraction is a sinful passion and Christ was God (at least that’s the teaching of normative Christianity) it would have been impossible for Christ to experience a sinful passion.

bluethread
Savant

Post #12

Post by bluethread »

In societies where there are limits on behavior, marginal behavior is more acceptable. For example, showing affection for one's own son and daughter is easier than showing affection for someone else's son or daughter, partly because of limitations on incest. There is an assurance that such affections will not be misunderstood. This is the case with relationships between men in the Mideast. Male friends are more affectionate toward one another in public than are male friends in these United States. These public displays of affection are not sexual, but familial and fraternal. Within the culture of these United States, a slap on the butt between teammates is familial and fraternal, not sexual. At least that is how it used to be, before there were protestations against restrictions on sexual behavior between male teammates.

Masamune
Student

Post #13

Post by Masamune »

JLB32168 wrote: It needs to be pointed out that ancient societies had no concept of sexual orientation. That one might be attracted to the same sex was inconsequential. Actions spoke louder than words. Having said that, given how same sex attraction is a sinful passion and Christ was God (at least that’s the teaching of normative Christianity) it would have been impossible for Christ to experience a sinful passion.
Not to be nitpicky, but this isn't quite accurate. Jewish culture absolutely had prohibitions against homosexual behavior. And ancient societies were quite varied on their perspective. Reading through this would show how nuanced their views were:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_homosexuality

The degree of social acceptability and type of homosexual practice that was socially and legally permissible is so varied it makes your head spin.

I think your point is still correct though. Human sexual practices are complex. It makes no sense for the government to intervene in this area, which is why I am in favor of gay marriage. But to suggest that ancient societies were some sort paragon of homosexual rights isn't quite true.

I

Texan Christian
Student
Location: A small house on a big ranch, in a small town in the big state of Texas

Post #14

Post by Texan Christian »

there is a difference between love like a man loving his wife and a brother loving his brother. If I say I love my family I don't mean it the same way as if I said I love my girlfriend. It's ridiculous when people try and use the Bible saying someone loved another person of the same sex to justify homosexuality.

Good day and God bless :)

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #15

Post by Bust Nak »

Texan Christian wrote: there is a difference between love like a man loving his wife and a brother loving his brother.
There CAN be a difference but there doesn't always have to be a difference.
If I say I love my family I don't mean it the same way as if I said I love my girlfriend.
That's good, but how do you know if another person meant it the same way you meant it? Incest is a real thing you know.
It's ridiculous when people try and use the Bible saying someone loved another person of the same sex to justify homosexuality.
That much I can agree with. No way is the Bible friendly to homosexual people.

Miles
Savant

Re:

Post #16

Post by Miles »

Bust Nak wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:42 am That much I can agree with. No way is the Bible friendly to homosexual people.
In fact, it demands that guys who physically express their homosexuality be killed, while practicing homosexual women get off with a slap on the wrist. Talk about favoritism!

Rose2020
Scholar

Re: Could Jesus have been gay?

Post #17

Post by Rose2020 »

I wonder if you would be so eager to explore your idle curiosity on this point about the Muslim or Sikh or other religions? Would you be so courageous and foolhardy?

No, Jesus Christ, our precious Lord, was not gay.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by Difflugia »

Rose2020 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:48 amI wonder if you would be so eager to explore your idle curiosity on this point about the Muslim or Sikh or other religions? Would you be so courageous and foolhardy?
Fatwa envy? What is this, 2010?
Rose2020 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:48 amNo, Jesus Christ, our precious Lord, was not gay.
That's right. According to John 11:5, he loved women, too.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #19

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Difflugia wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:31 am
Rose2020 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:48 amI wonder if you would be so eager to explore your idle curiosity on this point about the Muslim or Sikh or other religions? Would you be so courageous and foolhardy?
Fatwa envy? What is this, 2010?
Rose2020 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:48 amNo, Jesus Christ, our precious Lord, was not gay.
That's right. According to John 11:5, he loved women, too.
... and evidenty children (we can assume of both sexes) too .... (see Matthew 19:14)
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

oldbadger
Guru

Post #20

Post by oldbadger »

JJ50 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:09 pm The gospel of John specifically mentions that there was a disciple whom Jesus loved, presumably male. As Jesus never condemned homosexuality, it is possible he was gay and enjoying a gay relationship with this particular disciple?
You've overlooked Magdalen.... I reckon they were very close.
But I don't think that Jesus was strongly against gays.
There is nothing wrong with being gay, it is NORMAL! If it could be proved Jesus was gay it would be a slap in the face to all the unpleasant bigots who use the Bible as an excuse for their nasty bigotry where homosexuality is concerned.
If you study the laws of Moses and consider why these were written, then Homosexuality will emerge as normal and common throughout nature as well as humanity.
A question for the Christians on the forum, just supposing it could be established beyond all doubt that Jesus was a homosexual, would it make any difference to your faith?
I can't answer that because I'm not a Christian nor theist.