Where in the bible does it say that woman must cover up.

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

tugofwarstrum
Student

Where in the bible does it say that woman must cover up.

Post #1

Post by tugofwarstrum »

I know in the Muslim countries in the middle east it is culturally expected of woman to cover up but is it the same for Christians and is it backed up by scripture? To further this is it even backed up by scripture from the Qur'an? I ask cause there are two clergymen who come every year to my college and scream at the women who pass them that they are going to hell and that how they dress they are sluts and whores. Their message is of hate but is it backed up by scripture? Either way we have a professor here that goes and prints off Preacher bingo cards and it sure does send those two off the deep end and they usually quiet down and become civil or they leave. The two men are The Pit Preacher and Brother Jed.

An example of the preacher bingo:
http://imgur.com/gallery/0w6pPQz

And if by chance you have been a person targeted by either the two men are any man spewing words about how you must cover up, please read below and know that you are beautiful juts the way you are.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/removingth ... -cover-up/

JLB32168

Post #41

Post by JLB32168 »

Felix Joseph Mercer Moss, Roland Baddeley, and Nishan Canagarajah completed a study at the University of Bristol (UK) titled Eye Movements to Natural Images as a Function of Sex and Personality. It pretty much establishes as fact what most people already accepted as truth based upon personal anecdote, namely, men and women look at things a different way. Men are more visual so it is simply practical to suggest that A) men, don’t look at women for too long, and B) women, dress modestly. Men are stronger, get violent more quickly and they can generally overpower women w/few exceptions. The concern of most societies with women dressing modestly isn’t based solely upon viewing a society’s culture through a feminist critical perspective. It's also based upon a society's desire to protect its women from hormone driven men.

As a side, I personally don’t like “men and women are equal.� I think “Wo/men are created in God’s Image and Likeness� is infinitely better.

Talishi
Guru

Post #42

Post by Talishi »

JLB32168 wrote: As a side, I personally don’t like “men and women are equal.� I think “Wo/men are created in God’s Image and Likeness� is infinitely better.
"Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition." - Timothy Leary
Thank you for playing Debating Christianity & Religion!

Atef
Student

Post #43

Post by Atef »

Tugofwarstrum in the original post in this forum stated:
"I ask cause there are two clergymen who come every year to my college and scream at the women who pass them that they are going to hell and that how they dress they are sluts and whore"
The act that way because the man-made and mythological religion they worship has no respect for women as equals. The scriptures of the Bible and Tanakh of Judaism relegates women to subservient and submissive status beneath men--to be ruled over and dominated by men.

The two clergymen talk to women that way because they feel a sense of domination and ownership over women, directly attributable to the following scriptures.
“Give me any plague, but the plague of the heart: and any wickedness, but the wickedness of a woman.�--(Ecclesiasticus 25:13)
“Of the woman came the beginning of sin, and through her we all die.�--(Ecclesiasticus. 25:24)

And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.--Genesis 3:15-16
"Let your women keep silence in the churches; for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they learn anything let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in church.--1 Corinthians 14:34-35
"Let a woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence..."-- 1 Timothy 2:11-12
"Wives, submit to your own husbands as to the Lord, For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is head of the church...Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their husbands in everything."--Ephesians 5:22-24
"Wives, submit to your own husbands, as is fitting in the Lord..."--Colossians 3:18
"Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands�—“While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear�—“In the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands�—“Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord�—“Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel.�--Selected excerpts from 1Peter 3:1-7
“Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.�-- (Hosea 13:16)