Where in the bible does it say that woman must cover up.

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

tugofwarstrum
Student

Where in the bible does it say that woman must cover up.

Post #1

Post by tugofwarstrum »

I know in the Muslim countries in the middle east it is culturally expected of woman to cover up but is it the same for Christians and is it backed up by scripture? To further this is it even backed up by scripture from the Qur'an? I ask cause there are two clergymen who come every year to my college and scream at the women who pass them that they are going to hell and that how they dress they are sluts and whores. Their message is of hate but is it backed up by scripture? Either way we have a professor here that goes and prints off Preacher bingo cards and it sure does send those two off the deep end and they usually quiet down and become civil or they leave. The two men are The Pit Preacher and Brother Jed.

An example of the preacher bingo:
http://imgur.com/gallery/0w6pPQz

And if by chance you have been a person targeted by either the two men are any man spewing words about how you must cover up, please read below and know that you are beautiful juts the way you are.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/removingth ... -cover-up/

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Where in the bible does it say that woman must cover up.

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by tugofwarstrum]

There is no verse in the bible that says a woman must cover her entire body. The Christian scriptures urge believers to dress in a "modest and well arranged" manner. Of course different cultures have different standards of modesty, in Easter cultures this would indeed be covering at least her hair and perhaps not wearing jeans or trousers... in other cultures it would be other things such as not wearing very tight or revealing clothing.

There is a prohibition for a woman to pray (many understand this to refer to public not private prayers) with her head uncoverd.

In ancient times it was the custom for women to cover their hair on certain occassions, for example and there is the account of Rebecca covering her hair when she went to meet her future husband Isaac but even in the Hebrew bible there is no law that obliges women to be veiled or to cover their hair.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

postroad
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by postroad »

I thought all Jews wore a head covering when praying or at the synagogue?

Paul taught that Christian men should pray with heads uncovered due to their new relationship with God through the Spirit while women remained covered due to their subservient position under the headship of their husbands.

1 Corinthians 11:2-10New International Version (NIV)

On Covering the Head in Worship

2 I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the traditions just as I passed them on to you. 3 But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man,[a] and the head of Christ is God. 4 Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved. 6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.

7 A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; 9 neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10 It is for this reason that a woman ought to have authority over her own[c] head, because of the angels,

2 Corinthians 3:7-18New International Version (NIV)

The Greater Glory of the New Covenant

7 Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, transitory though it was, 8 will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9 If the ministry that brought condemnation was glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! 10 For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. 11 And if what was transitory came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts!

12 Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold. 13 We are not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face to prevent the Israelites from seeing the end of what was passing away. 14 But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away. 15 Even to this day when Moses is read, a veil covers their hearts. 16 But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. 17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18 And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate[a] the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Checkpoint »

I ask cause there are two clergymen who come every year to my college and scream at the women who pass them that they are going to hell and that how they dress they are sluts and whores. Their message is of hate but is it backed up by scripture?
No, it is a false message by some modern Pharisees, just like what is described in your link. Ignore such extremist fear-mongering.

Here are two scripture passages dealing with this kind of stuff:

1 Timothy 4:2 ...through the hypocrisy of men that speak lies, branded in their own conscience as with a hot iron;
3 forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by them that believe and know the truth.
4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be rejected, if it be received with thanksgiving:
5 for it is sanctified through the word of God and prayer.

Colossians 2:8 Don’t let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and from the elementary principles of this world, rather than from Christ.

18 Don’t let anyone condemn you by insisting on pious self-denial or the worship of angels, saying they have had visions about these things. Their sinful minds have made them proud.

20 You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from this world's ways. So why do you keep on following the rules of the world, such as,
21 “Don’t handle! Don’t taste! Don’t touch!�?
22 Such rules are mere human teachings about things that deteriorate as we use them.
23 These rules may seem wise because they require strong devotion, pious self-denial, and severe bodily discipline. But they provide no help in conquering a person’s evil desires.

mms20102
Scholar

Post #5

Post by mms20102 »

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... hians%2011
Head Coverings
2 Now I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I delivered them to you. 3 But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife[a] is her husband, and the head of Christ is God. 4 Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head, 5 but every wife who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, since it is the same as if her head were shaven. 6 For if a wife will not cover her head, then she should cut her hair short. But since it is disgraceful for a wife to cut off her hair or shave her head, let her cover her head. 7 For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. 9 Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10 That is why a wife ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.[c] 11 Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man nor man of woman; 12 for as woman was made from man, so man is now born of woman. And all things are from God. 13 Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a wife to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him, 15 but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering. 16 If anyone is inclined to be contentious, we have no such practice, nor do the churches of God.
" 1 Corinthians 11 "

mms20102
Scholar

Post #6

Post by mms20102 »

tugofwarstrum wrote: To further this is it even backed up by scripture from the Qur'an?
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/removingth ... -cover-up/
And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers over their chests
AN-NUR (THE LIGHT){24:31}

as for covering among the ancient days the body of a woman is must be covered as a sign of dignity and as for the detail of how to cover up in islam our prophet told us
صن�ان من أهل النار لم أرهما بعد ... وذكر نساء كاسيات عاريات ، مائلات مميلات، رءوسهن كأسنمة البخت المائلة ، لا يدخلن الجنة ولا يجدن ريحها .."
which means two parties are going to hell i didn't see them yet and one of them is females that dressing but not dressing " short clothes or transperent " and having huge heads " due to warping their hair up " although they covered they actually didn't cover properly

Conclusion of covering a female should cover because the nature of a man is to get tempted by women and the origin for religion is keep our desires and not to look at females as u won't like the same to be done to your mother , wife , sister , etc
and u can actually jump to statistics with sexual raping and so so u will find its high in the sky because females offered their bodies to men

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 6 by mms20102]

The bible does not need another book to validate its content and it does NOT have any law specifically stating a woman must cover her hair (except during public prayer). Christian women an urged to be "modest" in their dress but it dignifies them by allowing them to decide what this means in practical terms.

Christian men are urged to cultivate self control with regard to women in scripture.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

mms20102
Scholar

Post #8

Post by mms20102 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 6 by mms20102]

The bible does not need another book to validate its content and it does NOT have any law specifically stating a woman must cover her hair (except during public prayer). Christian women an urged to be "modest" in their dress but it dignifies them by allowing them to decide what this means in practical terms.

Christian men are urged to cultivate self control with regard to women in scripture.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS
My brother asked in the question is there is further verses in quran so he can understand why muslim women cover up and I gave him the verses yet the bible was clear about the women to cover other than prayers if you can read through the verses as the bible say if woman must cover her hair while she is married don't she need to cover while praying ?

Now I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I delivered them to you. 3 But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife[a] is her husband, and the head of Christ is God. 4 Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head, 5 but every wife who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, since it is the same as if her head were shaven. 6 For if a wife will not cover her head, then she should cut her hair short. But since it is disgraceful for a wife to cut off her hair or shave her head, let her cover her head. 7 For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. 9 Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10 That is why a wife ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.[c] 11 Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man nor man of woman; 12 for as woman was made from man, so man is now born of woman. And all things are from God. 13 Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a wife to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him, 15 but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering. 16 If anyone is inclined to be contentious, we have no such practice, nor do the churches of God.
" 1 Corinthians 11 "

marco
Savant

Post #9

Post by marco »

mms20102 wrote:

And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers over their chests
AN-NUR (THE LIGHT){24:31}
Much of the Koran is addressed to people living in the 7th century. It is ludicrous to prescribe for women of the 21st century codes of behaviour appropriate for people going around the desert. Because of such ludicrous restrictions, women seem to be treated like slaves, walking in today's cities, in hot weather, clothed from head to foot while their men walk free and exposed.

We need to update our old rules and regard women as completely equal to men. If Paul or anyone else says differently, they are wrong.

mms20102
Scholar

Post #10

Post by mms20102 »

[Replying to post 9 by marco]

when Adam and Eve where in heavens and ate from the forbidden tree there nakedness appeared so they tried to cover there bodies they felt there is some thing wrong Islam came to elevate women and make them pure and hard to be got . Unlike the easy girls who dresses with short clothe just to get the attention of men like they are selling there bodies our girls and women must be covered not to be seen except by their husbands even men also are ordered to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts its not some thing unique to women . when ever a woman become so religious she covers more in any religion why ? .
Saying women should be uncovered is just like saying we should be like animals naked in the wild we have been created with mind and body and soul . Women body attract any male except those who got problems white black doesn't matter because we were created with desire . Women and men should cover parts of their bodies for women its all except hands and face for men from his stomach up to his knees .
We need to update our old rules and regard women as completely equal to men.

You should start by yourself make your family walk in the street with naked breasts and say this is equality , Women shall never equal men because men are more responsible in my religion than women , with more responsibility they needed to have a harder body , an ability to judge with mind more than emotions and an ability to work and spend , equating men with women is so unfair for women
You have oppressed women while we elevated them you made them work and take responsibilities .

I want you to ask any nun why she wears modesty ? just like any good Muslim female ?
I'm sure she will reply it will give her more respect and safe feeling

tell me why you got the highest rape statistics in the world ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_stat ... _world.jpg

want more ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_assault

The U.S. Department of Justice's National Crime Victimization Survey states that on average there are 237,868 victims (age 12 or older) of sexual assault and rape each year. According to RAINN, every 107 seconds someone in America is sexually assaulted.[57]

The victims of sexual assault:

29% are age 12–17[57]
44% are under age 18
80% are under age 30
12–34 are the highest risk years
Girls ages 16–19 are 4 times more likely than the general population to be victims of rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault.[58]

By gender

In 2003,
90% of rape victims are women, the other 10% being men.
17.6% of women have been victims of attempted (2.8%) or completed (14.8%) rape.
3% of men have been victims of attempted or completed rape.
17.7 million women have been victims of attempted or completed rape
2.78 million men have been victims of sexual assault or rape [58]

Now only in 2003 17.7 million woman were victims tell me why only in America ?