Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Christian-Sponsored Hatred for Gays

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

Do you support Christian hatred for gays?

I was inspired to broach this topic after reading a column in the January 2020 issue of Scientific American. The column written by the editors is entitled Time's Up for "Anti-Gay Therapy." According to those editors:
Although medical and psychological associations have asked explicitly that Congress and state governments ban anti-gay conversion (by Christians), there has been a backlash from (Christian) groups like the Liberty Council, which promotes "evangelical values."
The column condemns the "detestable practice" of the attempt by many Christians to alter a person's homosexuality because the practice does "irreparable harm" to people. Forty-two percent of a subgroup who have had this "therapy" inflicted on them have committed suicide.

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Christian-Sponsored Hatred for Gays

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

Jagella wrote: Do you support Christian hatred for gays?
No, I do not. And I do indeed see it as blatant hatred in the name of "God".

The individual Christians often claim that they are not the ones who hate gays, it's God who hates gays. But that's nonsense. It's still their religion that is the source and cause of this hatred. Trying to shove this hatred onto their invisible God simply doen't work.

Their other excuse is that even God doesn't hate gays. Instead it's homosexuality that he hates, and if the gay person would simply refrain from committing this Christian Sin, God wouldn't hate them.

In other words, God supposedly hates the act , not the person. But that also doesn't fly. A gay person is not responsible for being gay. Being gay is who they are. Therefore to say that God hates homosexual acts is the same as saying that God hates gays, even if they refrain from participating in any sexual acts.

What's a gay person supposed to do? Become celebrate? To suggest that they should fake it and pretend to be attracted to someone of the opposite sex is a horrible thing for any Christian to suggest. They would basically be suggesting that the gay should live out a lie just to appease their God.

Condemning Gays is hatred. Pure and simple.

And it's all based on a religious created by ancient patriarchal bigots.

In fact, isn't this the same religion that decreed that women are to remain silent in matters of religion and politics?

Christendom has become extremely hypocritical. It has cherry-picked who it will hate on in the name of God while simultaneously ignoring behaviors that Christians themselves engage in daily.

So it's not only a hateful religion, but it's clearly an organized religion that is very selective on who it chooses to hate on.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

SallyF
Guru

Post #3

Post by SallyF »

Jagella wrote: Do you support Christian hatred for gays?

I was inspired to broach this topic after reading a column in the January 2020 issue of Scientific American. The column written by the editors is entitled Time's Up for "Anti-Gay Therapy." According to those editors:
Although medical and psychological associations have asked explicitly that Congress and state governments ban anti-gay conversion (by Christians), there has been a backlash from (Christian) groups like the Liberty Council, which promotes "evangelical values."
The column condemns the "detestable practice" of the attempt by many Christians to alter a person's homosexuality because the practice does "irreparable harm" to people. Forty-two percent of a subgroup who have had this "therapy" inflicted on them have committed suicide.

I certainly don't support the Christian behaviour here.

But it's worth pondering for a moment …

That if the Christians prayed to Jesus to intervene in the gayness …

And the gay men prayed to Jesus for him to stop the Christians beating them …

And Jesus did neither of those things …

It may be time to admit that Jesus just isn't there ….
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

William
Savant

Post #4

Post by William »

[Replying to post 3 ]

SallyF: But it's worth pondering for a moment …

And Jesus did neither of those things …It may be time to admit that Jesus just isn't there ….

William: What is your premise? That IF Jesus does not answer such prayers, THEN it means Jesus does not exist?
Could it possibly mean something else?

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Peds nurse »

[Replying to post 1 by Jagella]

Hey Jagella!

So, the debate question is, do we as Christians, hate gays? If that is the case, then the answer is no, for me personally anyway. The debate could also be, do we support therapy for gays in hopes it will change their gender preference(conversion therapy)? The answer for me is that if a person seeks therapeutic services for any reason, that reason is between the therapist and the person receiving services. One cannot go to therapy and it do any good at all if they are not invested for themselves.

SallyF
Guru

Post #6

Post by SallyF »

William wrote: [Replying to post 3 ]

SallyF: But it's worth pondering for a moment …

And Jesus did neither of those things …It may be time to admit that Jesus just isn't there ….

William: What is your premise? That IF Jesus does not answer such prayers, THEN it means Jesus does not exist?
Could it possibly mean something else?
For example:

United States
The declaration of a missing person as legally dead falls under the jurisdiction of the individual states unless there is a reason for the federal government to have jurisdiction (e.g. military personnel missing in combat).

People who disappear are typically called missing, or sometimes absent. Several criteria are evaluated to determine whether a person may be declared legally dead:

The party normally must have been missing from their home or usual residence for an extended period, most commonly seven years
Their absence must have been continuous and inexplicable (e.g. the person did not say they had found a new job and were moving far away)
There must have been no communication from the party with those people most likely to hear from them during the period the person has been missing
There must have been a diligent but unsuccessful search for the person and/or diligent but unsuccessful inquiry into their whereabouts.[citation needed]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declared_ ... n_absentia

Despite diligent but unsuccessful searches, the Jesus character has not been found anywhere other than in people's heads for nearly 2,000 years.

In the USA and many other jurisdictions, Jesus is legally dead.

So it's pointless trying to "pray the gay away", or ask Jesus to stop Christians beating you or priests molesting you.

The evidence that such prayers are NEVER answered should be evidence enough.
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Jagella »

Divine Insight wrote:No, I do not.
I see no reason to hate gays either. Two of my brothers are homosexuals, and they don't hurt anybody. That said, I used to have a lot of contempt for gays and lesbians. Although I cannot be certain, I'm fairly sure it was a result of my Christian upbringing.
And I do indeed see it as blatant hatred in the name of "God".
I prefer to say it's hatred caused by belief in the Christian god. "In the name of God" makes it sound as if the hatred is only apparently based in belief in the Christian god. It's a way of getting Christianity off the hook.
It's still their religion that is the source and cause of this hatred.
And that's why I haunt this forum. I want to expose Christianity for the harm it does to innocent people. I do not want innocent people harmed needlessly.
A gay person is not responsible for being gay. Being gay is who they are.
Sin is supposed to be a choice, but gays and lesbians do not choose to be homosexual. They are born that way. If any gods exist, then they created gays and lesbians.
Condemning Gays is hatred.
In my opinion hating something or somebody isn't really immoral. We feel the way we feel! Some things should be hated. I hate anti-gay cruelty. Many Christians not only are OK with gay bashing but would denounce me for my "hatred" of it.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Jagella »

Peds nurse wrote:Hey Jagella!
Hi Peds. As you may know I've been away from this forum at least for awhile because I had some disagreements with the mods and wanted to do other things. When I saw the article I mentioned in the OP, though, I had to come back and say something about what it reported.
So, the debate question is, do we as Christians, hate gays? If that is the case, then the answer is no, for me personally anyway.
Do you oppose the gay-bashing practiced by many Christians? Their inspiration is the Bible. You really can't have it both ways: if you oppose gay bashing, then you cannot sensibly base your morals in the Bible.
The debate could also be, do we support therapy for gays in hopes it will change their gender preference(conversion therapy)? The answer for me is that if a person seeks therapeutic services for any reason, that reason is between the therapist and the person receiving services. One cannot go to therapy and it do any good at all if they are not invested for themselves.
If that "therapy" is driving people to commit suicide, then I think it's time it is stopped. If Christians blindly insist on maintaining that homosexuality is evil because their religion tells them it is, then the tragedy will continue.

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Peds nurse »

[Replying to post 6 by SallyF]

Hi Sally! I hope this finds you well!

Jesus said, before He departed, that we would not see Him until He comes again. He also mentioned that we would have His spirit living in us, a deposit until His return. I do understand physically He is dead, but spiritual things are quite different. I believe that God answers prayers, He has answered many for me. I know it is subjective from a human standpoint, but spiritually, I feel It is sound.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Jagella »

SallyF wrote:It may be time to admit that Jesus just isn't there ….
The supreme irony in all of this Christian gay bashing is that Jesus, if he was ever "there," could have been a homosexual himself. According to his story, he apparently never married, and he preached against his followers marrying. And although he preached against sin including adultery, he is not quoted as ever saying anything about homosexual acts.