Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Christian-Sponsored Hatred for Gays

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

Do you support Christian hatred for gays?

I was inspired to broach this topic after reading a column in the January 2020 issue of Scientific American. The column written by the editors is entitled Time's Up for "Anti-Gay Therapy." According to those editors:
Although medical and psychological associations have asked explicitly that Congress and state governments ban anti-gay conversion (by Christians), there has been a backlash from (Christian) groups like the Liberty Council, which promotes "evangelical values."
The column condemns the "detestable practice" of the attempt by many Christians to alter a person's homosexuality because the practice does "irreparable harm" to people. Forty-two percent of a subgroup who have had this "therapy" inflicted on them have committed suicide.

marco
Savant

Post #191

Post by marco »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
I dont understand your comment, but I can assure you there is nothing Jesus said or did we disagree with. Indeed I have written several posts in this very thread on that point.
You wrote:

"For Jehovah's Witnesses it is because we believe these prohibitions were part of the mosaic law, all of which were abolished with the death of Christ. "

You take your modus vivendi from what Christ did. Before he died he followed the law that prescribes death for gay people. Obviously you disagree with killing gay people so you disagree with the living Christ, while luckily supporting the dead one. The point I am making is that morality changed in the course of a few minutes, before and after Christ's departure.

A way round this confusion is to employ reason and common sense and when something is blatantly silly and wrong, one refuses to accept it, whatever interpretation of the Bible we affirm. It appears to me that for many the bible has become more of a crucifix than a guide.

FWI
Sage

Post #192

Post by FWI »

marco wrote:It seems to be more of a problem for you than those who participate in same-sex activities. It would be handy if we could describe them all as "weak feminine" or "mentally deficient" while heterosexuals are universally blessed with high morals and good mental health.

Not really (as related to a problem for me), I'm not suffering from the consequences of sodomy and certain STDs. Which, in almost all cases, is higher in the LGBTQ community than in the heterosexual community. However, I have made it clear that heterosexuals who engages in the same types of activities are just as guilty, as anyone else. Thus, there is a moral weakness in both groups that engage in sodomy and other related sexual sins. This is also a startlingly apparent reality, because of the vastly low numbers of homosexual and bisexual men (average between about 4-6%), of the world's populations.

marco wrote:I'm sure that God looking down on the happiness of two humans enjoying each other's company would pronounce it "good" as he did so many things in Genesis.

Maybe, as long as those two human beings are not engaging in homosexual activities! Because, if they are; we already know what is recorded in Leviticus and in both instances there is no pronouncement of anything good, related to the sexual actions of homosexuals…We also know that the same type of rejection would apply to abnormal marriages. So, the truth is that God will never accept (as good) the abnormal sexual actions of homosexuals, some heterosexuals and bisexuals…We also know that the Apostle Paul introduced a condemnation of lesbianism, as well.

Menotu
Sage

Post #193

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 191 by FWI]

I've always found it odd that any deity would concern itself with something consenting adults do in their private lives.
Seems kinda' pervy at least.
Maybe this goes to show that God is a personification of humanity itself, and not any type of deity?

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #194

Post by Difflugia »

FWI wrote:I'm not suffering from the consequences of sodomy...
What exactly are the "consequences" of sodomy?

The bad ones, I mean.
FWI wrote:...and certain STDs.
Is the ability for an action to act as a disease vector an indicator of morality?

Whenever I go to church, I end up coming down with some cold or other, presumably from all the unprotected glad-handing. "Peace (and my bronchitis) be with you!" Does that mean that going to church is less moral than staying home and watching cartoons by myself?

Seth
Student

Post #195

Post by Seth »

Yeah, Jesus never spoke about homosexuality. But, I think the main reason for the Christian preoccupation with it is a reaction to the gay community pushing their agenda.
How dare they campaign for equal rights and the removal of persecution.

Menotu
Sage

Post #196

Post by Menotu »

Seth wrote:
Yeah, Jesus never spoke about homosexuality. But, I think the main reason for the Christian preoccupation with it is a reaction to the gay community pushing their agenda.
How dare they campaign for equal rights and the removal of persecution.
Christianity is all about money and controlling others. This is just another way of controlling the lives of people they don't 'like'.
And having those people that they don't 'like' being seen as almost equal?!? Can't be having any of that. Then there would be no moral superiority

tam
Savant

Post #197

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
[Replying to post 181 by marco]

So while on earth Christ lived in accordance with all of Scripture and expected others to do so. While Jesus was alive he was in favour of putting practising homosexuals to death -

I haven't followed the thread, so this could be out of context, but Christ's response in the account of the woman caught in adultery (John 8:1-11) demonstrates that He would not have been in favor of putting homosexuals to death.

He saved the life of the woman who had committed adultery. He did not encourage anyone to stone her and He, Himself, forgave her.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

He also emphasized the truth that God desires MERCY, not sacrifice, telling the Pharisees to go and learn what that meant (Matt 9:13).

There are also His words about not judging (or you will be judged); about being merciful (so that mercy will be shown you). And for those who had Him put to death, He did not demand 'life for life'. Instead, He asked His Father to forgive them. He GAVE (His) life, for life.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy