A Love Like Ours

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

SallyF
Guru

A Love Like Ours

Post #1

Post by SallyF »

Why didn't the mythological Middle East male god Jehovah inspire the male authors of the biblical writings to address female homosexuality specifically …?
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: A Love Like Ours

Post #31

Post by Purple Knight »

SallyF wrote:Why didn't the mythological Middle East male god Jehovah inspire the male authors of the biblical writings to address female homosexuality specifically …?
Because it's not gross. Lesbians don't gross anybody out. Anal sex does.

I also argue that the idea of male-male pairs unencumbered by children who are able to outcompete male-female pairs and take the choice niches away from those who can reproduce probably factored into the decision to address male homosexuality directly.

With female-female pairs, it's not as much of a risk. Most jobs in the past were probably physically demanding, making a female-female pair not as well-suited to compete as a male-female pair, even if both pairs have children. Females were also subservient so there was simply no need. If the father decides for his daughter to marry a male, then she does. No more need to address it than that.

Menotu
Sage

Post #32

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 31 by Purple Knight]
Lesbians don't gross anybody out.
That is SO not true :tongue:
On more than one level

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #33

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Purple Knight wrote: Because it's not gross. Lesbians don't gross anybody out. .
This is a very selfish view. Lesbians aren't in relationships to put on a performance for men. That is unfortunately how they are marketed nowadays.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #34

Post by Purple Knight »

AgnosticBoy wrote:
Purple Knight wrote: Because it's not gross. Lesbians don't gross anybody out. .
This is a very selfish view. Lesbians aren't in relationships to put on a performance for men.
I didn't say they were. But the fact that you jumped to this conclusion is evidence that I'm right: Lesbianism is not gross.

This isn't to say that anybody should attack gay men (they shouldn't), but for most straight men, the idea of bucking futts is at least a teensy bit off-putting.

It's an explanation, not an excuse. And it's only one of three explanations I provided.

I don't act on my emotions when it comes to right and wrong. I make thought-out judgments and even then, I still distrust them.

But you would be shocked by how many people just use the idea of morality as a reeking, overstuffed shoe for their own immediate reactions to be shoehorned into. Does that disgust me? Well it must be wrong then. This is how the vast majority of people think.

Tcg
Savant

Post #35

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 34 by Purple Knight]

Moderator Comment

Profanity and obscenity of any sort are not allowed even in coded form.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Seth
Student

Post #36

Post by Seth »

[Replying to post 13 by bjs]
Claiming that we can’t control who we fall in love with is categorically false for everyone on the planet. Yes, there are people in love who never thought that they would be a good match, but that did not happen beyond their control. They experienced attachment or attraction, and they made the choice to pursue that relationship instead of hindering it. I am not saying that love is always good nor that unexpected love is always self-destructive. But love always comes from a choice. The often repeated line from romantic comedies that “We didn’t intend for this to happen,� is a bald-face lie. We all chose the relationships we nurture and we all chose the relationships we avoid.
I chose to love my wife, my children, my grandchildren just as much as I chose heterosexuality.

Seth
Student

Post #37

Post by Seth »

[Replying to post 35 by Tcg]

I'm new. Can you define profanity and obscenity, so that I know what to avoid. It's seems to me that these words are very subjective.

Tcg
Savant

Post #38

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 37 by Seth]

I'd suggest you begin by reviewing the rules: Debate Forum Intro and Rules

You should also take note of this line in the post you replied to: "Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics." You can PM me for more guidance regarding your question if needed.

If you have other questions, you are welcome to post them here: Comments, Suggestions, and Questions

Welcome to the forum,
Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom