A Love Like Ours

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
SallyF
Guru
Posts: 1459
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:32 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

A Love Like Ours

Post #1

Post by SallyF »

Image

Why didn't the mythological Middle East male god Jehovah inspire the male authors of the biblical writings to address female homosexuality specifically …?
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

User avatar
Jagella
Banned
Banned
Posts: 3667
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:01 am
Contact:

Re: A Love Like Ours

Post #2

Post by Jagella »

SallyF wrote:Why didn't the mythological Middle East male god Jehovah inspire the male authors of the biblical writings to address female homosexuality specifically …?
I must admit that I'm stumped as to why the Jewish tribal chieftains made up laws against gay men and stuffed those laws into Jehovah's mouth. You would think they would make Jehovah rant against lesbians too. My best guess about the command to murder homosexuals is to make sure men used all their semen to make babies of which the males could fight in armies.

Speaking of the Jews' attitude toward sex, they sure ranted against adultery! Their opposition to adultery is not so hard to understand. Since many of the wealthier Jewish men were polygamists being able to afford more than one wife, a lot of the poorer men--a lot of whom were slaves owned by the polygamists--had no wives at all. These lonely guys may have been attracted to the wives of the polygamists. It's not hard to see that those wives may have been easy targets being lonely themselves sharing their husbands with other women. The polygamists therefore needed to protect their "genetic investment," and they made Jehovah prescribe harsh punishments against any slave-man who would dare to sate his lust on one of his master's wives.

So if the Bible god wanted to prohibit any evil resulting from sex, then it's odd that he didn't prohibit polygamy. I do understand, though, that Jehovah has since changed his mind and now disallows polygamy. Such rules against polygamy aren't in the Bible but are rules people made up after the Bible was complete. It looks like Jehovah has taken our advice on rules against polygamy!

User avatar
marco
Savant
Posts: 12314
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:15 pm
Location: Scotland
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: A Love Like Ours

Post #3

Post by marco »

Jagella wrote:
You would think they would make Jehovah rant against lesbians too.
Women required one law: obey. Queen Victoria did not believe in lesbian relationships and the old bible brutes were interested in healthy, warlike males. You get an inkling of their attitude in fathers who scorn their gay sons and send them for brain therapy.

User avatar
1213
Savant
Posts: 9059
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:06 am
Location: Finland
Has thanked: 127 times
Been thanked: 157 times
Contact:

Re: A Love Like Ours

Post #4

Post by 1213 »

SallyF wrote: Why didn't the mythological Middle East male god Jehovah inspire the male authors of the biblical writings to address female homosexuality specifically …?
Probably because two women can’t do the same as two men could do.

Menotu
Sage
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:34 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: A Love Like Ours

Post #5

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 1 by SallyF]

If it was more of a male dominated society, I wouldn't think they would mention gay women specifically over gay men.
Even in recent times women haven't been treated equally (for the good or bad) as men.
Even today when people say 'gay' they tend to think of gay men (unless it's said in secret by straight men as they like the idea of 'two women together').

It's less gross' to consider 2 women together than 2 men (says straight men).

It's all utter hogwash. Only people care about what individuals do privately among consenting adults.
Only until society sees and understands that will society be able to advance forward. Christianity likes to keep society in the dark when it comes to being independent and thinking for ourselves. Sex is a good way of doing so IMO.

User avatar
Jagella
Banned
Banned
Posts: 3667
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:01 am
Contact:

Re: A Love Like Ours

Post #6

Post by Jagella »

1213 wrote:
SallyF wrote: Why didn't the mythological Middle East male god Jehovah inspire the male authors of the biblical writings to address female homosexuality specifically …?
Probably because two women can’t do the same as two men could do.
Is that what Jehovah was thinking? It makes no sense for a perfect god to snoop into people's sex lives like this. Power-hungry tribal chieftains seeking absolute power over their subjects might very well try to control the sex lives of those they rule.

So you can have your Bible, and you can have reason, but you can't have both. I choose reason. You should choose reason too!

Menotu
Sage
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:34 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: A Love Like Ours

Post #7

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 6 by Jagella]
Is that what Jehovah was thinking?
I hope not! That would be a seriously mentally stunted and limited god!
It makes no sense for a perfect god to snoop into people's sex lives like this.
Especially considering he can see everything all the time.
Power-hungry tribal chieftains seeking absolute power over their subjects might very well try to control the sex lives of those they rule.
Ah Christianity....one of the best descriptions of it I've heard.
So you can have your Bible, and you can have reason, but you can't have both.
Well said

User avatar
1213
Savant
Posts: 9059
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:06 am
Location: Finland
Has thanked: 127 times
Been thanked: 157 times
Contact:

Re: A Love Like Ours

Post #8

Post by 1213 »

Jagella wrote: …It makes no sense for a perfect god to snoop into people's sex lives like this…
I don’t think it is snooping to tell what is not good and right.
Jagella wrote:…So you can have your Bible, and you can have reason, but you can't have both…
I disagree with you, but please explain why do you think so?

User avatar
Tcg
Savant
Posts: 7140
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:01 am
Location: Third Stone
Has thanked: 1270 times
Been thanked: 1499 times

Re: A Love Like Ours

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote:
Jagella wrote: …It makes no sense for a perfect god to snoop into people's sex lives like this…
I don’t think it is snooping to tell what is not good and right.
There is no evidence to conclude that this "telling" is anything other than the reflection of human's outdated prejudice. If there were a god, it would be absurd to think that he would be upset with humans doing the very thing he created them to do.


Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists


Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc


I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

User avatar
Clownboat
Savant
Posts: 8134
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:42 pm
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 304 times

Re: A Love Like Ours

Post #10

Post by Clownboat »

1213 wrote:
Jagella wrote: …It makes no sense for a perfect god to snoop into people's sex lives like this…
I don’t think it is snooping to tell what is not good and right.
Jagella wrote:…So you can have your Bible, and you can have reason, but you can't have both…
I disagree with you, but please explain why do you think so?
What is 'not good and right' about sex between consenting adults of the same sex?

I will assume that your reasoned argument will justify why it is ok to go 'snooping' on such people.

Hopefully you have a reasoned argument and not just some hate filled holy book to justify your position. Far to many people are full of hate with no more than a book from a god (according to them) to justify their behavior.

Billions of people suffer from this and argue about which god concept is the right one.
From the inside (I'm a former Christian), you are fighting the good fight. Once you are set free from your beliefs, you are able to see that humans are fighting over which invisible friend is real and what this invisible friend will do to the other if they don't X, Y and/or Z.

It would be comical, if not for the suffering it causes.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Post Reply